• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #129 Miswrap Claptrap
1 1

78 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

One of my purtier SA books is a rare 2c variant copy

!!!!!0.jpg

Back in the day, you might have been lucky enough to get an unsuspecting store clerk to only charge you 2 cents for a book with a miswrap like that.

1 hour ago, porcupine48 said:

One of my purtier SA books is a rare 2c variant copy

!!!!!0.jpg

you should give that book to me the wrap is so God-awful. It deserves to be in a collection of embarrassments like mine. No use in beating around the bush with this one. 

Edited by NoMan

1 hour ago, chrisco37 said:

Resubs wouldn't be the "problem".  The backlash from the masses would be a PR nightmare.  Something that has always been a grading non-factor (mis-wraps, except in the most extreme HG) all of the sudden becomes a penalized defect.  

:ohnoez:

7 minutes ago, NoMan said:

you should give that book to me the wrap is so God-awful. It deserves to be in a collection of embarrassments like mine. No use in beating around the bush with this one. 

lol have you not seen the beater readers I buy?Plus it was a gift.If I find an extra in my rooting about it's yours,but I think that's my only copy

6 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Hello :)

Not the usual type of thread from me - no pence element (hurray!)

What impact does this miswrap have on desirability do you think? If you were on the hunt for a first Punisher appearance, is this a book you would walk past and wait for a better centred copy of? Or would you happily have it in your collection?  

If it sat next to a 9.4WP perfectly centered copy, how big a price difference would compel you to dive in?

What sayeth thou?

I'm a fan of well centered/wrapped books and will pay a premium for those hard to find issues.  #129 is notorious for being miss-wrapped and poorly centered.  In my preference, I don't mind a very tiny bit of cover wrapped to the back, over a white miss-wrap to the front.  I also look for a #129 that doesn't have the "comics code" cut off at the top.

asm 129288.jpg

asm 129 front292.jpg

Edited by mosconi

1 hour ago, chrisco37 said:

Resubs wouldn't be the "problem".  The backlash from the masses would be a PR nightmare.  Something that has always been a grading non-factor (mis-wraps, except in the most extreme HG) all of the sudden becomes a penalized defect.  

My concern would be that the graders would have to arrive at five different grades instead of just one. From that standpoint, it would substantially slow down the grading process, thus leading to longer turnaround times. And yes, the backlash would likely be unprecedented...  :tonofbricks:

3 minutes ago, mosconi said:

I'm a fan of well centered/wrapped books and will pay a premium for those hard to find issues.  #129 is notorious for being miss-wrapped and poorly centered.  In my preference, I don't mind a very tiny bit of cover wrapped to the back, over a slight white miss-wrap to the front.  I also look for a #129 that doesn't have the "comics code" cut off at the top

asm 129 front292.jpg

Yes, well centred will always win the day. A bit close with the 'S' there though, even on those copies!

129.PNG.5ae58e1ca558f65cf8575694ad8d7c6c.PNG

44 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

then there's the ultra htf Canadian 0 cent Happy rabbit!:whatthe:

!!!!!0.jpg.d547ec52746ca202abb889f01111ddc7.jpg

At that price, no wonder he's happy :)

I used to own this one with a MJI - it's got a full 'S' at the bottom, but is missing the full CCA at the top! You can't win. 

Anyone got a 'perfect one'?

129mjicgc.thumb.jpg.146aa592400e1ee29801afd46f111a20.jpg

9 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Yes, well centred will always win the day. A bit close with the 'S' there though, even on those copies!

Lol, not absolutely perfect, but you don't know how many years it took me to find this wrapped copy alone, without the code being cut off!  It more than appeased my collecting OCD :cloud9:

3 minutes ago, deadleg said:

I gotta admit, I imagined something completely different when I first read "miswrap claptrap."

I like a title that rhymes deadleg. Like dead rhymes with leg. Sort of. What did you think it was going to be? :)

17 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I used to own this one with a MJI - it's got a full 'S' at the bottom, but is missing the full CCA at the top! You can't win. 

Anyone got a 'perfect one'?

Perfect centering or perfect condition?  Because if a CGC 6.5 is allowed, I'm pretty happy with this one:

1274544001_1200.jpg

I'd wish for a little yellow to the left of the "S" on "KILL SPIDER-MAN!", but the straight band of yellow above the comics code and the full 20cent price are pretty spiffy.

3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Perfect centering or perfect condition?  Because if a CGC 6.5 is allowed, I'm pretty happy with this one:

1274544001_1200.jpg

I'd wish for a little yellow to the left of the "S" on "KILL SPIDER-MAN!", but the straight band of yellow above the comics code and the full 20cent price are pretty spiffy.

Very nice it is. But like you say, a little yellow before the S....

2 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

If were going low grade, check out my "spine split" makes it perfectly centered :roflmao: 

GetImage.aspx?c=3204671&t=Full&f=Obv&cb=

12 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:
15 minutes ago, valiantman said:

1274544001_1200.jpg

Agreed, but I'm a huge fan of the perfection of the yellow spacing above the blue "MARVEL COMICS GROUP" bar at the top of the page.  Most copies are slanted at the top, even when the spine looks good.

Edited by valiantman

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

Agreed, but I'm a huge fan of the even spacing of the yellow spacing above the blue "MARVEL COMICS GROUP" bar at the top of the page.  Most copies are slanted at the top, even when the spine looks good.

:tonofbricks:

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
7 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Agreed, but I'm a huge fan of the perfection of the yellow spacing above the blue "MARVEL COMICS GROUP" bar at the top of the page.  Most copies are slanted at the top, even when the spine looks good.

:tonofbricks:

The width of the yellow space under the Punisher's shoe should equal the yellow spacing above the MCG blue bar on the left AND the right.  Otherwise, it's vertical rubbish. :sumo: 

...and there should be red visible on BOTH of Spider-Man's upside-down elbows.:slapfight:

:kidaround:

Edited by valiantman

4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

What impact does this miswrap have on desirability do you think? If you were on the hunt for a first Punisher appearance, is this a book you would walk past and wait for a better centred copy of? Or would you happily have it in your collection?  

If it sat next to a 9.4WP perfectly centered copy, how big a price difference would compel you to dive in?

Nice book. I actually find white margins or diagonal miss-wraps to be worse regarding eye appeal. I would happily have that book in my collection with a 10-15% adjustment against a perfectly centred book. 

5 minutes ago, valiantman said:

The width of the yellow space under the Punisher's shoe should equal the yellow spacing above the MCG blue bar on the left AND the right.  Otherwise, it's vertical rubbish. :sumo: 

...and there should be red visible on BOTH of Spider-Man's upside-down elbows.:slapfight:

:kidaround:

Face it jbPOZ.gif the art is too big for the cover lol