• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone ever go down a grade after a resubmit?
1 1

86 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Beige said:

Yup.

You play the CPR game, you don't always win.

I sounded like Tyrion Lannister then.

Spooky.

And if I've learned anything from GOT, it's that you can't trust anyone...

Edited by The Lions Den

On 1/21/2020 at 10:42 AM, William-James88 said:

Why did you resubmit the 9.4?

I was hoping for a 9.6 W.  It had some very pressable defects on the front and back cover (no color break) that looked like it could bring it up to a 9.6 W.  However when I got it back I was stunned until I noticed a small color break finger bend dead center of the front cover I hadn't noticed before.  If that was there before, then this book was already overgraded at a 9.4 with evident pressable defects and that color break. I may have just missed it but if not, then those are the risks of submitting high grade books.  defects not visible through the slab may exist and risk of damage in handling the books at CGC are also a real danger.  :tonofbricks:

On 1/25/2020 at 3:09 PM, Artboy99 said:

I wish I was a billionaire, something I have always wanted to do was send in the same book over and over and record the cgc grades assigned. Test their consistency.

IMO, their consistency for grading is like a fart in a whirl wind. I will no longer waste my $$$ sending them books. I've had decent books get great grades, and great books get decent grades. Very rarely I'd say to myself, "yeah, that's about right". 

On 8/29/2019 at 6:08 AM, namisgr said:

The only grading I ever called and wrote CGC about to dispute was when they graded the copy of ASM121 that I bought off the rack back in 1973 as being trimmed on the right edge.  The dispute got me nowhere, and the company was disinterested in using my book to better differentiate between naturally produced and hand trimmed edges.

As for the comic that changed label colors in addition to grades on a straight resubmission, it went from an old blue label 9.0 to a green label 8.5 owing to 'staples cleaned'.  In the early days of CGC I used to crack open all my slabbed buys because I preferred owning the comics raw and wanted to learn more about their grading standards.  The straight resubmission was years later when I decided to re-encapsulate it.  I had Matt Nelson evaluate the green label version that came back - this was years before he began working for CCS and CGC, when he was doing restoration evaluations at comic conventions.  He opened it up at the centerfold, used his thumb to press down on the staple ends there, and recommended I resubmit it.  It then came back an 8.5 blue label, changing label colors for a second time:

FF10blue.jpg.fccf2a62d99b985ec0652c0023592598.jpg

They are only humans making mistakes.

On 8/29/2019 at 1:17 PM, YouFoundDonon said:

I once submitted an ASM9 9.0 in an old case and it came back an 8.0. I cracked it out... sent it back and it came back and 8.5. At that point I just washed the comic and called it a loss. Still in disbelief this came back and 8.0... and a 8.5 when it looked like this after cracking it out of the 8.0 case. 

IMG_0316.thumb.JPG.91d8bd8d71c9c6086e9c1321bfbf7fe7.JPGIMG_0326.JPG.9e679d8814fc72cc07d5463bf4934397.JPGIMG_0327.JPG.78494f5e286fa0a130294a65eebc02ec.JPG

Washed your book?

Still goes back to this whole thing being subjective, who was working at the time, did the person have an argument with their spouse that morning, did they miss lunch and have blood sugar issues, was their car keyed the night before, are they just plain exhausted from staring at funny books for 6 hours by the time they get to yours.   

And don't get me started on the 10.0, 9.9, 9.8, 9,6, 9,4, 9.2, 9.0 blah blah.  

I just had this happen to me. I bought a 9.2 CGC blue label ASM 300 off Ebay. Came back yellow SS 7.5. Unless they cracked it with a hacksaw or Todd decided to use it as a napkin during his marathon signing, I’m dumbfounded as to the disparity. I get grading is subjective and can see where the differences between 9.2 and 9.4 can be minuscule but how does a grader blow a grade by 2 whole grades?

19 hours ago, Cman429 said:

I just had this happen to me. I bought a 9.2 CGC blue label ASM 300 off Ebay. Came back yellow SS 7.5. Unless they cracked it with a hacksaw or Todd decided to use it as a napkin during his marathon signing, 

Dude, that means you might now have a good sample of McFarlane's DNA, and vacuum sealed too!

22 hours ago, Cman429 said:

I just had this happen to me. I bought a 9.2 CGC blue label ASM 300 off Ebay. Came back yellow SS 7.5. Unless they cracked it with a hacksaw or Todd decided to use it as a napkin during his marathon signing, I’m dumbfounded as to the disparity. I get grading is subjective and can see where the differences between 9.2 and 9.4 can be minuscule but how does a grader blow a grade by 2 whole grades?

I'm sure there's a reason...

Do you have the grader notes? 

On 1/25/2020 at 3:09 PM, Artboy99 said:

I wish I was a billionaire, something I have always wanted to do was send in the same book over and over and record the cgc grades assigned. Test their consistency.

a well traveled story in the card collectors society was about the guy who submitted and kept resubmitting a Michael Jordan rookie card 40 times until he finally received the "10" grade he thought it deserved

7 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

a well traveled story in the card collectors society was about the guy who submitted and kept resubmitting a Michael Jordan rookie card 40 times until he finally received the "10" grade he thought it deserved

And in the 40 or so grading/handling and slabbing occasions prior to finally achieving a perfect 10, the condition of the card was never even slightly affected?  hm