• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone ever go down a grade after a resubmit?
1 1

86 posts in this topic

On 12/30/2019 at 11:53 AM, Xatari said:

I had a recent horror story with this. I had a gorgeous copy of Giant Size X-Men at 9.0. The back staple area was black, but otherwise the book looked like a solid 9.2-9.4, so I sent it to a well known presser who cleaned it up and pressed, improving the condition even further. However, the cleaning now showed the staple rather than a small discolored area on the back cover. CGC graded it a 7.5 and notes it “rusted staple with hole”. Major loss in terms of cleaning, submission, and grade drop. 

Very reluctant to ever attempt to resubmit again. 

Having experimented on my share of squarebound books, one mandatory step when pressing is placing a sheet of paper between the covers and first/last pages for that specific reason. The staples used and their placement is completely different from a regular book. Your presser should have known better

I typically select book that look like they have never been pressed before for a crack and re-submit, and so far I have only had books either go up or stay the same. I am pretty sure I will have a book drop eventually. 

The most stressful one was an X-Men 101 that was graded at a 9.4. It looked like it hadn't been pressed, and the price on the book was booming at the time so I figured it was worth the risk to try to get it higher. When my presser cracked it he discovered small flaws that I couldn't see through the old slab, and I was sweating until I heard back that it maintained a 9.4. Still a small loss, but at least I avoided a horror story. 

3 hours ago, B2D327 said:

Having experimented on my share of squarebound books, one mandatory step when pressing is placing a sheet of paper between the covers and first/last pages for that specific reason. The staples used and their placement is completely different from a regular book. Your presser should have known better

The presser was a pro used by many on this forum. Well respected in the industry. To be fair, the staple issue was present prior to his handling, it just wasn’t visible as the area was blackened. Once it was cleaned, the issue became apparent. In this case, bettering the condition actually made the issue visible. It was certainly a bummer, but I do not place the blame on the presser. 

On 2/1/2020 at 10:57 PM, Cman429 said:

I just had this happen to me. I bought a 9.2 CGC blue label ASM 300 off Ebay. Came back yellow SS 7.5. Unless they cracked it with a hacksaw or Todd decided to use it as a napkin during his marathon signing, I’m dumbfounded as to the disparity. I get grading is subjective and can see where the differences between 9.2 and 9.4 can be minuscule but how does a grader blow a grade by 2 whole grades?

What do the graders notes say ?

I just had four books drop a grade level after crack/press/sign/submit. Very annoying.

Of course, I had quite a few go up, too, but that's the point of pressing: you're theoretically fixing the books, and going up (or at least stay the same) is the point. And no, the books weren't damaged in the process.

Nothing more frustrating than making a book look substantially better than it did in the case, only to have the grade go down.

That's because it was overgraded in the first place. 

meh

ASM #82 9.2 to 9.0

ASM #44 9.0 to 8.5

DD #17 8.0 to 7.5

DD #20 9.0 to 8.5

I would far, far rather have consistent grades than "gift" grades. "Gift" grades have a way of turning into trojan horses...

Just sent in a Cerebus the Aardvark 10 previous graded at 9.6. Sent in for press and regrade, very sharp looking book by looking just from the outside without cracking it.

Came back as

9.4 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE
Name written on 1st page.

Must have been signed by Dave at some point and was missed in the first time it was slabbed. lol.

On 2/15/2020 at 12:33 PM, Artboy99 said:

I just submitted a book that was in a cgc 7.0 holder sold to me raw which I submitted for pressing and grading return as a 6.5.

Just once I would like to be on the upside of this.

The book could have been damaged after it was initially cracked out. 

19 hours ago, Stingrayiii said:

Just sent in a Cerebus the Aardvark 10 previous graded at 9.6. Sent in for press and regrade, very sharp looking book by looking just from the outside without cracking it.

Came back as

9.4 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE
Name written on 1st page.

Must have been signed by Dave at some point and was missed in the first time it was slabbed. lol.

The signature on the first page wouldn't affect the grade either way. 

1 hour ago, Ryan. said:

The book could have been damaged after it was initially cracked out. 

Could have? I don't really know.

1 hour ago, Ryan. said:

The signature on the first page wouldn't affect the grade either way. 

Just funny it wasn't caught the first time around.

When playing the CPR game you need to have more than one book. If you submit one book and it comes back lower, your fail rate is 100%. If you send in 20 you usually come out on the upside, even if some books stay the same or go down. It's the model I have used, and its worked pretty well for me. 

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 11:53 AM, Xatari said:

I had a recent horror story with this. I had a gorgeous copy of Giant Size X-Men at 9.0. The back staple area was black, but otherwise the book looked like a solid 9.2-9.4, so I sent it to a well known presser who cleaned it up and pressed, improving the condition even further. However, the cleaning now showed the staple rather than a small discolored area on the back cover. CGC graded it a 7.5 and notes it “rusted staple with hole”. Major loss in terms of cleaning, submission, and grade drop. 

Very reluctant to ever attempt to resubmit again. 

Could be the rust worsened in-between the grading, or it could be it was not hammered the first time around. Over time CGC has changed their stance on things like foxing, certain production issues, distributor ink, color rub, etc. 

I think it was actually the fact that after cleaning, the staple was more visible and the small puncture holes now noticeable. Took a gamble and lost. 

i now own the nicest 7.5 you will ever find. :)

Edited by Xatari

Sent in a Batman #40 (golden age), it was 8.5 from another grading company. Had it pressed and cleaned, came back 9.0. Felt like it still had potential for another bump, resubbed and it came back 8.0. Was not happy, my fault for pushing my luck I guess. Due to my stubbornness and not knowing when to quit when you are ahead, I will resubmit one more time. Felt like a full point down was way too harsh. Book looks exactly the same from the day I purchased it, I have photos from day of purchase that I looked over just in case it was mishandled during the process. The grader notes from the second submission sounds like the grader was having a really bad day. 

On 2/25/2020 at 9:33 AM, DedalusMan said:

Here's a silly question from a relative newbie - when you resubmit, do you send it back in the original case or do you actually crack it open and send it in "raw"?

I'm curious to hear views on this question. I know that CGC has offered discounts on crossover grading, but that of course would not be the case for getting a CGC-graded book regraded. I'm assuming that it would be safest to resubmit the comic still in the CGC case for regrading, since the grader is not supposed to be told by receiving who submitted the comic or anything about its previous grade.

Unless signed, I always send outside the case. I know they say they don't know the original grade when it gets back from pressing..but I just imagine a worse case scenario where my bookgets sent back with a sticky note attached with the previous grade as a reference point lol....