• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone ever go down a grade after a resubmit?
1 1

86 posts in this topic

On 8/26/2019 at 10:38 AM, Gruson said:

Curious to hear your stories if you have ever sent something in to CGC to have it regraded only to go down a grade.  

Or if you sent something to get pressed and regraded to see it drop a point after grading  

Yep!  Just sent in a 9.8 X-Men 158 and got back a 9.6!  WTF.  Chris Claremont signature is a scribble anyway.  What a waste of time and money.  CGC should be the experts at cracking and handling our items.  Never again!  @CGC Comicsyou are better than this.  It is obviously an issue since they have a warning about this.  Shame!

On 4/30/2022 at 7:52 AM, Tcauld said:

Yep!  Just sent in a 9.8 X-Men 158 and got back a 9.6!  WTF.  Chris Claremont signature is a scribble anyway.  What a waste of time and money.  CGC should be the experts at cracking and handling our items.  Never again!  @CGC Comicsyou are better than this.  It is obviously an issue since they have a warning about this.  Shame!

Perhaps the 9.8 you sent in was a SOFT 9.8?

When I sent in a group of six 9.8 books for a signing the facilitator was amazing and contacted me to tell me they thought two of them were 'soft' while the others were still strong 9.8 candidates (this was before signing, they cracked and prepped each book for me. Even experts can't be blamed for a small finger print while handling, especially if the books were lucky to get a 9.8 in the first place). Thankfully they all came back 9.8 (all pressed after as well, including extra care and work done on the 'soft' books), but I could see many people getting a surprise downgrade and not every facilitator being as helpful about the process.

On 4/30/2022 at 7:52 AM, Tcauld said:

I've heard stories of Near Mint books coming back as 7.5's after a signing...  :(

Never crack a 9.8 for a signing...Would love to get my CGC 9.8 EoSV 2 Land signed but not going to risk it going down a grade. Just Sent a CGC 9.4 ASM 300 Newstand that had pressable defects for a CPR. When my presser cracked it he said it had some sime tics...And thought it would grade 9.2-9.6....Luckily it stayed a 9.4 but i put $200 dollars more into the book to stay the same grade