• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Masters of Suspense has shipped and Volume 2 announced!

13 posts in this topic

Amazon has shipped one the most wanted books for me related to the SA. The complete Steve Ditko and Stan Lee marvel horror/SF stories  restored and in Omnibus size. The final volume, #2 has just been announced at the same price of $100...amazon changed me $97 including tax on Vol #1 which just shipped FYI so I believe the price might be lower when it shipsI. The new volume  2 is going to be released on March 10, 2020 and contains JIM 74-96, ST 92-109, TTA 27-48, TTS 25-49, 46, AAF 7-14, AF 15. I am looking for board opinion to rate once you received Vol #1 in terms of content, quality of restoration, and value...let me know what you think when you get it...I will upon receipt. If it is similar to the past quality I am expecting a real keeper. The note indicate its a "once in a lifetime issue"..meaning there is the possibly that this will be the only OMB printing. Since this is Volume 2...where does the series go from here...Don Heck ?  We already have the excellent Monsters Vol #1 and #2 in print for Jack Kirby. Opinions...please

Edited by Mmehdy

(thumbsu Thanks for the heads up - looks like some serious reading for PHM fans!

For those interested in the contents of Vol 1 (now on sale):

COLLECTING: JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY (1952) #33, 38, 50-73, STRANGE TALES (1951) #46, 50, 67-91, TALES TO ASTONISH (1959) #1-26, TALES OF SUSPENSE (1959) #1-15, 17-24, STRANGE WORLDS (1958) #1-5, WORLD OF FANTASY(1956) #16-19, AMAZING ADVENTURES (1961) #1-6, JOURNEY INTO UNKNOWN WORLDS (1950) #45, 51, MYSTERY TALES (1950) #40, 45, 47, TWO-GUN WESTERN (1956) #4, WORLD OF SUSPENSE (1956) #2, MARVEL TALES (1949) #147, SPELLBOUND (1952) #29, STRANGE TALES OF THE UNUSUAL (1955) #5, ASTONISHING (1951) #53, WORLD OF MYSTERY (1956) #3, 6, BATTLE (1951) #63, GUNSMOKE WESTERN (1955) #66.

I haven’t picked these up; thinking maybe I should. I REALLY prefer reading comic books, but I have so few left I can see myself actually getting a lot of use out of the Monsterbi. 

Maybe for Christmas...

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

I haven’t picked these up; thinking maybe I should. I REALLY prefer reading comic books, but I have so few left I can see myself actually getting a lot of use out of the Monsterbi. 

Maybe for Christmas...

In some  ways bigger and better than the original with some amazing color added in, the volumes include restoration...you should try one...before it goes out of print

Why has there been a trend towards compilations that are the size of the Manhattan and LA phone books combined (when there were phone books)?  These things are pricey, heavy and unwieldy.  A lot of it is stuff we've already seen albeit in a different format.

It annoys me that the Masterworks (Golden Age in particular) and DC Archives went so far in series and abruptly stopped (same comment re DC Golden Age Superman and Batman Chronicles which I loved).  

It's all very annoying and frustrating.

4 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Why has there been a trend towards compilations that are the size of the Manhattan and LA phone books combined (when there were phone books)?  These things are pricey, heavy and unwieldy.  A lot of it is stuff we've already seen albeit in a different format.

It annoys me that the Masterworks (Golden Age in particular) and DC Archives went so far in series and abruptly stopped (same comment re DC Golden Age Superman and Batman Chronicles which I loved).  

It's all very annoying and frustrating.

The masterworks were great, the OMB's are even better both size wise for art appreciation and color wise as well as in my opinion superior paper feel. It evolved...now we have having super giant editions too. To me the main thing is restoration and appreciation. I bought some of the very issues and I feel very lucky that Marvel feels the same way I do, these Dikto stories are mini-masterpieces both in terms of story and art...to be lucky to have one Book, let also a complete collection of 2  is Super. To collect all these would be impossible unless you purchased some of original comic books which happen to be high demand. I agree with you on the super big books being released , but OMB's are manageable and yet can really showcase some classics from the past. Thumbs way up, getting my edition tomorrow in the mail.

Edited by Mmehdy

19 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

The masterworks were great, the OMB's are even better both size wise for art appreciation and color wise as well as in my opinion superior paper feel. It evolved...now we have having super giant editions too. To me the main thing is restoration and appreciation. I bought some of the very issues and I feel very lucky that Marvel feels the same way I do, these Dikto stories are mini-masterpieces both in terms of story and art...to be lucky to have one Book, let also a complete collection of 2  is Super. To collect all these would be impossible unless you purchased some of original comic books which happen to be high demand. I agree with you on the super big books being released , but OMB's are manageable and yet cannot really showcase some classics from the past. Thumbs way up, getting my edition tomorrow in the mail.

I look forward to your review.

3 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

Heard from Amazon today it seems that they price match and they lowered the price to $83 dollars plus tax and saved around another 9 bucks, that is the best way when you preorder. I hope to pick it up tonight.

:popcorn:

MMS#1 Review

I cannot tell you how exciting it is to open a book and get stunned by saying to myself ...I have never seen that before, even thought for over 50 years I have been a true comic book collector.

the book starts in 1956....and there are a lot of unique and unknown material that SD did. It really makes you appreciate how his style evolved and how truly he took it to the next level on this material.

The colors in this book are fantastic....especially for this volume and this type of material

The size and the paper used are a step way up from the original and even the marvel masterwork reprints which  I own.

But  it is the material...fresh, creative,...amazing they could come up with idea after idea, and only comparison would be the EC SF-FI and Horror for sustaining such quality.

There are some nice original artwork pages in the back, as well as some 80's  stuff in color, but there are mini masterpieces which are finally put in big a format( the originals are big too so no problem) , restored, and printed the way they should be.

5 out of 5 stars on this one. FLAWLESS

Edited by Mmehdy

What a great book! Must be around 130 Ditko/Lee stories over some 670 pages. Starts from 1956 and goes to 1961.

Wonderfully moody art, Ditko was really on top of his game. I've probably read half the stories from the Masterworks series,

so being able to read all of them is a real treat, looking forward to part 2 in the spring.