• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did I Lose Value? Bought Walking Dead 191 192 CBCS 9.8 & 193 CGC Digital Code Decal 9.8
1 1

37 posts in this topic

I bought for investment purposes only the last 3 issues of the Walking Dead all 9.8 which I planned to sell as a set in a few years. I've never spend anything but list price for a comic before & did I make a serious mistake by buying 2 CBCS ones along with a CGC Decal one? Did that lower my expected selling price. The CBCS ones are white pages as well. Thanks for your input

walkingdead 9.8.jpg

Walkinng dead192.jpg

walking dead 191.jpg

Edited by HifiFoFum

yes lol CBCS is often referred to as Voldy (harry potter reference) as he whos name shall not be spoken. If your hoping to sell later in the future and prices and demand does go up most people wouldn't want a mix of the graded slabs most prefer one over the other CGC to many is considered the Gold standard in grading so you might have more of a buying audience with CGC compared to Voldy. Personally if you sell them separately then maybe no problem if you sell as a set you might have lower offers or less interest because of the mixture of slab types. 

Some people are also weary of the grading from CBCS so they might be worried about the actual grade and think it might be lower than what Voldy has it at. 

Personally I would sub the 2 other slabs and get a CGC label so its easier to sell later on if you travel that path. 

Best of Luck and Welcome to the boards

:tink:

I'm not entirely sure what the question is, but IF you're asking whether removing the 'digital code sticker/decal' will have an adverse effect on the future price, I would say yes, but only if it is somehow noted on the slab.  If its not noted, and the slabs are never opened, no one would ever know and there would be no value impact.

If you're asking whether or not its a good investment in general, well honestly it depends largely on the price you paid, and other details of your financial situation. 

Well I did pick up that its a bad idea combining GGC and CBCS as a set for the last 3 issues of The Walking Dead so I thank you people for that and will resell the CBCS ASAP and then buy 2 CGC to replace them. Why you people think the 3 issues of Rick is Dead The Walking Dead First Printing 9.8 CGC is a bad investment I don't grasp. If you're right, I still wont lose much.

Edited by HifiFoFum

5 minutes ago, HifiFoFum said:

Well I did pick up that its a bad idea combining GGC and CBCS as set for the last 3 issues of The Walking Dead so I thank you people for that and will resell the CBCS ASAP and then buy 2 CGC to replace them. Why you people think the 3 issues of Rick is Dead The Walking Dead First Printing 9.8 CGC is a bad investment I don't grasp. If you're right, I still wont lose much.

Honestly it just depends on how much you pay and how much you hope to make over what period of time.

i think most of the people here have seen the price of walking dead comics steadily go down after the furor over Lucille showing up on the show, after reaching near insane prices.  So we’re looking at years and years of historical trends with walking dead, along with trends of other comic based movie and tv shows, which don’t often see significant rises after the show ends.  

Howerver there is a chance for the death of rick IF it happens in the movies, IF they ever get made

5 hours ago, revat said:

Honestly it just depends on how much you pay and how much you hope to make over what period of time.

i think most of the people here have seen the price of walking dead comics steadily go down after the furor over Lucille showing up on the show, after reaching near insane prices.  So we’re looking at years and years of historical trends with walking dead, along with trends of other comic based movie and tv shows, which don’t often see significant rises after the show ends.  

Howerver there is a chance for the death of rick IF it happens in the movies, IF they ever get made

So you guys are saying, I apologize for being totally clueless on this, I'm not being sarcastic, that the only way a high rated CGC classic issue of a comic book will go up significantly in value is, if a movie or TV version of the comic comes out. It won't just go up in value because its historically important in regards to the comic book itself- ie the Death of Rick and end of The Walking Dead comics. 

1 hour ago, HifiFoFum said:

So you guys are saying, I apologize for being totally clueless on this, I'm not being sarcastic, that the only way a high rated CGC classic issue of a comic book will go up significantly in value is, if a movie or TV version of the comic comes out. It won't just go up in value because its historically important in regards to the comic book itself- ie the Death of Rick and end of The Walking Dead comics. 

not necessarily but the amount of buyers paying for this book for that reason of historical importance is much smaller than when its in the live stream of media. Also there are many copies out there so the ability to get your hands on one isn't that hard. 

if your purpose for collecting is for investment purposes you might want to do some research and learn about good investment comic books a lot of these moderns are speculation books and rise and fall sharply in value so its kind of like a gamble a large one. Key word gamble. 

IF you want something longer term as a investment there are much better options if you can afford it, such as hulk 181, TOS, ASM books etc..  do some research if your want to do this method of collecting. 

2 hours ago, Krishosein said:
4 hours ago, HifiFoFum said:

not necessarily but the amount of buyers paying for this book for that reason of historical importance is much smaller than when its in the live stream of media. Also there are many copies out there so the ability to get your hands on one isn't that hard. 

if your purpose for collecting is for investment purposes you might want to do some research and learn about good investment comic books a lot of these moderns are speculation books and rise and fall sharply in value so its kind of like a gamble a large one. Key word gamble. 

IF you want something longer term as a investment there are much better options if you can afford it, such as hulk 181, TOS, ASM books etc..  do some research if your want to do this method of collecting. 

Well, I would say in general if a comic already had a reason to be popular at the time of printing, and was (relatively) highly printed at the time of original printing, it would take some significant event/activity in the future for that comic to increase in value significantly. 

In the case of these comics, the death and end of Walking Dead were highly advertised and marketed, and Walking Dead was already STRONG in the cultural lexicon, but already waning in terms of impact and comic value.  So if someone was interested in Walking Dead (which admittedly there are many people), why would they be willing to pay much more for the comic 1, 2, 5 years from now in CGC 9.8 rather than just buying it off the shelf now and slabbing it?  Will there be MORE people interested in Walking Dead 5 years from now? Why or why not?

Its not an exact comparison, but how well do most recent 'superhero' deaths hold up in value?  Is that something you've considered in your comparison?  Should you? WHy or why not?

In terms of the market in the past few years, the significant events usually leading to bumps or spikes are related to movies and tv (no chance of a new comic starring Rick).  But I think a lot of us (rightly or wrongly) feel that bump has already been built into Walking Dead comics, and there's not that much more room to profit.  Its seemingly obvious, but most of the better investments are for comics w/ characters/books/events that were not already in the worldwide/mainstream lexicon when they were originally produced.  Of course there are exceptions and its not an exact science, and often times the money is made going against the market, but talk yourself through the aspects of the market you're trying to profit from. 

1 hour ago, revat said:

Well, I would say in general if a comic already had a reason to be popular at the time of printing, and was (relatively) highly printed at the time of original printing, it would take some significant event/activity in the future for that comic to increase in value significantly. 

In the case of these comics, the death and end of Walking Dead were highly advertised and marketed, and Walking Dead was already STRONG in the cultural lexicon, but already waning in terms of impact and comic value.  So if someone was interested in Walking Dead (which admittedly there are many people), why would they be willing to pay much more for the comic 1, 2, 5 years from now in CGC 9.8 rather than just buying it off the shelf now and slabbing it?  Will there be MORE people interested in Walking Dead 5 years from now? Why or why not?

Its not an exact comparison, but how well do most recent 'superhero' deaths hold up in value?  Is that something you've considered in your comparison?  Should you? WHy or why not?

In terms of the market in the past few years, the significant events usually leading to bumps or spikes are related to movies and tv (no chance of a new comic starring Rick).  But I think a lot of us (rightly or wrongly) feel that bump has already been built into Walking Dead comics, and there's not that much more room to profit.  Its seemingly obvious, but most of the better investments are for comics w/ characters/books/events that were not already in the worldwide/mainstream lexicon when they were originally produced.  Of course there are exceptions and its not an exact science, and often times the money is made going against the market, but talk yourself through the aspects of the market you're trying to profit from. 

we never know though really what if *see spoiler* . We truly never know what would happen in the future we can just make our best educated guess and take the risks we can afford ourselves. But I do see your point and I was along the same lines hopefully the OP will see our points. 

I hope I am wrong so I can make :flipbait:lol 

Spoiler

Andrea Grimes becomes a cultural icon I believe 193 is the first and supposedly last appearance.. hm :popcorn:lol 

On 8/28/2019 at 7:54 AM, Krishosein said:

yes lol CBCS is often referred to as Voldy (harry potter reference) as he whos name shall not be spoken.

CBCS being referred to as Voldermort or Voldie goes back to 2014. It has absolutely nothing to do with quality.

In 2014, when the company was founded, posts began cropping up here on the CGC boards.  CGC announced that talking about them was not allowed. Thus Voldie, or Voldermort, aka "he who will not be named" was used to try to bypass the new CGC rule.

Some like them. Some don't. But no need to imply things that simply are not true. .