• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did I Lose Value? Bought Walking Dead 191 192 CBCS 9.8 & 193 CGC Digital Code Decal 9.8
1 1

37 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, HifiFoFum said:

So you guys are saying, I apologize for being totally clueless on this, I'm not being sarcastic, that the only way a high rated CGC classic issue of a comic book will go up significantly in value is, if a movie or TV version of the comic comes out. It won't just go up in value because its historically important in regards to the comic book itself- ie the Death of Rick and end of The Walking Dead comics. 

Modern Comics, especially ones that just came out, are a slippery slope when using the "I" word.   I don't think things on the shelf today have much traction.  There will be a few anomalies and variants that take people by surprise, but the back issue $1 bins are littered with the rest.   The old adage is -  Collect what you like.   If something goes up in value, win win.  But if you enter this hobby buying a $4.00 comic that came out last week and by slabbing it a week later, asking if you made a god "Investment".....not many here on this board can get into that.    Blue chip Gold, Silver, Bronze Age books are good places to look at "investing".  Today's mass produced, straight to encapsulated plastic, with a fancy label to match?.....good luck. 

Edited by Mercury Man

7 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Invest in a 401k. Not Modern comic books.

what is this 401k? The 401 is a major highway in Ontario :roflmao:

Spoiler

I know its a retirement fund. we just call them RRSP (registered retirement savings plan). :D

1 minute ago, Krishosein said:

what is this 401k? The 401 is a major highway in Ontario :roflmao:

Hide contents

I know its a retirement fund. we just call them RRSP (registered retirement savings plan). :D

We call it a 401k because of the tax laws, or something.

Either way - 401k, RRSP - it's a sound investment compared to Modern comics...

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

We call it a 401k because of the tax laws, or something.

Either way - 401k, RRSP - it's a sound investment compared to Modern comics...

yeah I think section 401 is the tax law referring to the savings plan I think. 

but yeah for investment purposes and retirement plans its better to have a 401k or RRSP than a modern volatile comic.. I mean its fun if its a side investment purchased with extra income

Just now, Krishosein said:

yeah I think section 401 is the tax law referring to the savings plan I think. 

but yeah for investment purposes and retirement plans its better to have a 401k or RRSP than a modern volatile comic.. I mean its fun if its a side investment purchased with extra income

giphy.gif

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

giphy.gif

lol I am sure it is to some; for me the moderns I buy are just for fun and usually only spend the extra money I have that I would of either spent on entertainment :banana:maybe dancing entertainment, :tink:maybe liquid entertainment :devil: maybe something else. :headbang::angel:

On 8/26/2019 at 4:11 PM, HifiFoFum said:

I bought for investment purposes only the last 3 issues of the Walking Dead all 9.8 which I planned to sell as a set in a few years. I've never spend anything but list price for a comic before & did I make a serious mistake by buying 2 CBCS ones along with a CGC Decal one? Did that lower my expected selling price. The CBCS ones are white pages as well. Thanks for your input

Welcome to the boards!

In my experience, most slab buyers purchase one item at a time, and are not looking for runs/sets. So I don't think it makes too much of a difference that the grading companies don't match.

Like others who have posted above, I am skeptical these books will see a significant increase in value now that the hype over the end of the series has died down. But you never know.

On 8/29/2019 at 6:11 PM, PovertyRow said:
On 8/28/2019 at 10:54 AM, Krishosein said:

yes lol CBCS is often referred to as Voldy (harry potter reference) as he whos name shall not be spoken.

CBCS being referred to as Voldermort or Voldie goes back to 2014. It has absolutely nothing to do with quality.

In 2014, when the company was founded, posts began cropping up here on the CGC boards.  CGC announced that talking about them was not allowed. Thus Voldie, or Voldermort, aka "he who will not be named" was used to try to bypass the new CGC rule.

Some like them. Some don't. But no need to imply things that simply are not true. . 

And some people might need to be reminded that the founder, president and primary grader of Voldemort was also previously the president and primary grader of CGC. That doesn't mean the company is free of any issues, but some folks seem to think they are some fly-by-night Mom and Pop operation with garage sale grading skills.

On 8/31/2019 at 12:38 AM, Pontoon said:

And some people might need to be reminded that the founder, president and primary grader of Voldemort was also previously the president and primary grader of CGC. That doesn't mean the company is free of any issues, but some folks seem to think they are some fly-by-night Mom and Pop operation with garage sale grading skills.

Interesting - I didn't know that. Is it "Voldy" to advise newer members of the boards what / how this happened?

On the question first raised, I like CGC slabs. I bought one "Voldy" once because I wanted the comic, and immediately had it re-slabbed by CGC. Generally speaking, I just buy comics I like. For investments, I think there may be more reliable / less risky options. Younger people reading this, your pension should not be overlooked.

On 8/30/2019 at 12:12 PM, The Lions Den said:

Just for fun, I recently cracked out a CBCS book that was graded 9.4. When I looked it over, I discovered a 2" bend/crease on the back cover. To me, this book would grade in the VF range at best. So the answer to the question about CBCS is no, I don't think they're a good investment...I think they're :censored:  

Seriously? Do you have any idea how often something like that has been  recounted here about CGC books over the years?

On 8/29/2019 at 8:07 AM, HifiFoFum said:

So you guys are saying, I apologize for being totally clueless on this, I'm not being sarcastic, that the only way a high rated CGC classic issue of a comic book will go up significantly in value is, if a movie or TV version of the comic comes out. It won't just go up in value because its historically important in regards to the comic book itself- ie the Death of Rick and end of The Walking Dead comics. 

No.

Comic books go up in value when the demand increases to where it outpaces the supply.  For a common as dirt modern book, this rarely happens, and in the case of certain issues of TWD it already has.  As far as #193, generally there isn't much in the way of higher demand for last issues unless their print runs were much lower than prior issues.

Nobody has a crystal ball that foretells the future of comic book prices, but generally speaking books produced in the near past are unlikely to appreciate significantly in value over a short time period.

Edited by namisgr

8 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

My concern is related to the simple fact that when a company makes a mistake like the one I mentioned, it undermines their entire reputation, and in essence, destroys any credibility they allegedly have. As a competitor, they're the ones that need to prove they offer a better service than CGC, and it makes me wonder how many other books they've certified as Near Mint that are actually just Very Fine. 

And I have seen oversights from CGC as well, but they seem to be a pretty small percentage of the total amount of books they've certified. I'm not convinced this is the case with Can't Buy, Can't Sell...and I'm not going to take that chance again...

One example and you damn Voldie. You admit to multiple oversights by CGC but it is a "pretty small percentage." So let's take a very very small percentage: say 1/10 of 1 percent. At that rate there would be about 5,000 oversights by CGC. Is that number acceptable to your criteria?

I am curious if you checked the grader notes of that Voldie book before you sent it for resub to CGC. You CAN get the notes at no charge just by entering the books serial number..You don't even need to log in. It is possible - maybe a pretty small percent possible but possible - that the book was incorrectly pressed, looked fine when it was submitted, but reverted back over time. This has certainly been a documented phenomena.

I am just seeing opinion and conjecture in this argument. I know how passionate collectors can be but passion doe not make fact. Nor does conjecture and opinion. For every one fact on one side there is easily one fact on the other side.

Oh and for the record I have many more CGC books than I do Voldie books.