• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wolverine Strange Newstand Print

15 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone, 

Looking for an opinion and thoughts on rarity. I have a 9.8 W Wolverine 10 Newstand version. It has a strange marking on the UPC code. There are no grader notes and when I asked CGC at the Wizard World Chicago Con they had no good answers. Any insight anyone can provide would be great. See pics for details.IMG_20190826_193412.thumb.jpg.49a44484202170040c72c9aa12d78817.jpg

IMG_20190827_063149.jpg

Edited by DBtoys
Added pic

1 minute ago, shadroch said:

Looks like a tape pull, but no way CGC gives that grade to a book with a tape pull. Are you sure that's not on the slab itself?

100%. I had the guys at CGC even look at it when I was at the show, they said it may be a common variant which makes no sense to me. I have never seen one before like this. It is not damaged in anyway, it looks more like missing ink from that section.

2 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Could be something got on the press, but quality control usually catches them. Lots of people here have far more knowledge on these then I do. Hopefully, they will know more.

Thanks for the help and comment...Hopefully someone knows a bit more...

3 hours ago, DBtoys said:

100%. I had the guys at CGC even look at it when I was at the show, they said it may be a common variant which makes no sense to me. I have never seen one before like this. It is not damaged in anyway, it looks more like missing ink from that section.

I've had probably a hundred Wolverine #10s pass in and out of my personal collection over the years.  I estimate that I've probably seen over ten thousand copies in total between conventions and general browsing on eBay.  This is the first time I've ever seen anything like this.

Right now on eBay there are about 200 Wolverine #10 auctions listed.  Of those, there are over 25 Newsstand copies.  Not a single one has marks like this.

I don't buy the explanation that it may be a "common variant".  It's possible that they didn't deduct for what they may have considered a manufacturing defect, but... man... what an ugly mark!  I think something was just outright missed, as I thought a manufacturer's defect that large would have disqualified the book from getting a Blue label.

Any chance for a closer shot of the UPC box?

6 hours ago, masterlogan2000 said:

I've had probably a hundred Wolverine #10s pass in and out of my personal collection over the years.  I estimate that I've probably seen over ten thousand copies in total between conventions and general browsing on eBay.  This is the first time I've ever seen anything like this.

Right now on eBay there are about 200 Wolverine #10 auctions listed.  Of those, there are over 25 Newsstand copies.  Not a single one has marks like this.

I don't buy the explanation that it may be a "common variant".  It's possible that they didn't deduct for what they may have considered a manufacturing defect, but... man... what an ugly mark!  I think something was just outright missed, as I thought a manufacturer's defect that large would have disqualified the book from getting a Blue label.

Any chance for a closer shot of the UPC box?

Thanks for all the insight. I will post a bigger pic.

IMG_20190827_063149.jpg

It definitely looks like a tape pull, but I can also picture some kind of loose debris on the paper when the black ink was printed that took part of the barcode before it fell off further down the line. hm

I know CGC misses stuff, but surely they wouldn't miss a horking huge tape pull of that size, would they? So I'm assuming it's an odd printing defect, but am surprised they didn't knock something off the grade all the same.

Using CGC's certification lookup, we can see that serial numbers 2020954019, 2020954020, and 2020954021 are all Wolverine #10 with grades of CGC 9.6, CGC 9.4, and CGC 9.8, respectively.  It's at least possible that this copy should have gotten the 9.4 that was graded, but encapsulation handling switched them up.

Edited by valiantman

19 hours ago, BrooksR said:
On 8/28/2019 at 1:56 PM, valiantman said:

It's at least possible that this copy should have gotten the 9.4 that was graded, but encapsulation handling switched them up.

If so that’s very disconcerting O.o

There are lots of examples where two different books are encapsulated from the same batch with the wrong labels.  ASM #298 with the ASM #299 label and the ASM #299 with the ASM #298 label, etc.  So, if that can happen where the books aren't even the same, then it definitely can happen where there are 3 copies of the same book.  It's pretty clear that CGC employs comic book experts for things that require expertise (grading, restoration detection) and they employ non-expertise for things that don't require expertise (data entry, package handling, encapsulation machine workers, etc.).  Combine that with the fact that 12,000+ slabs per week is going to produce a dozen new errors per week even if everyone who does every job is always 99.9% accurate.

Edited by valiantman