• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wolverine 10 Strange Newstand Print Question

19 posts in this topic

Looking for an opinion and thoughts on rarity. I have a 9.8 W Wolverine 10 Newstand version. It has a strange marking on the UPC code. There are no grader notes and when I asked CGC at the Wizard World Chicago Con they had no good answers. Any insight anyone can provide would be great. See pics for details.

IMG_20190826_193412.jpg

IMG_20190827_063149.jpg

Edited by DBtoys
Added pic

4 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

Looks like something got stuck on one of the rollers of the printing press. 

That is what I think too, but wouldn't that have some impact on the grade or at least be a grader note? Think it increases or decreases the value?

I find CGC more suspect of it's grading criteria, to the time it was graded, both year and time of day (shrug).  Meaning, they can be so fickle on one hand and so careless on another.   Do I think it is a 9.8, no.   Do they... evidently.  Would a prospective buyer look at it and think twice, possibly.  The catch phrase around here is 'Buy the label not the grade', but with a defect like that, why pay 9.8 prices, when other 9.8's don't have that printers blemish.  Just my humble opinion.   Still a nice book.  

2 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

I find CGC more suspect of it's grading criteria, to the time it was graded, both year and time of day (shrug).  Meaning, they can be so fickle on one hand and so careless on another.   Do I think it is a 9.8, no.   Do they... evidently.  Would a prospective buyer look at it and think twice, possibly.  The catch phrase around here is 'Buy the label not the grade', but with a defect like that, why pay 9.8 prices, when other 9.8's don't have that printers blemish.  Just my humble opinion.   Still a nice book.  

hm don't you mean buy the book not the label?

Also to the OP I would assume its a printer defect and how they look at printers defects can vary. Although it did look like a tape pull but hard to tell without book in hand to see if you see that the looks like the cover was lifted and to look for the gloss if the area is still glossy I would put it as a printer defect missing ink, something got stuck on roller, etc.. but I would just take the 9.8 and be happy lol but this in many collectors eyes will devalue the book as they wont see it as a 9.8 in their eyes. 

14 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Ha!  My bad.  I think it was buy the label not the book.  

still I wouldn't buy the label I would buy the book many collectors special with the higher end stuff really look at the book miswraps the amount of damage to the front cover, tape, fading etc... a lot when they consider buying a valuable book. my advice buy a nice looking book not the label/grade

9 hours ago, Krishosein said:

still I wouldn't buy the label I would buy the book many collectors special with the higher end stuff really look at the book miswraps the amount of damage to the front cover, tape, fading etc... a lot when they consider buying a valuable book. my advice buy a nice looking book not the label/grade

Agree

If you had a litter of Wolvie 10s, this would be the runt, and the last picked. I feel for anyone who paid full gap for that copy. It is not a 9.8, no matter what the label says. Is it possible this happened somewhere between the book being graded and it being stabbed.

9 minutes ago, shadroch said:

If you had a litter of Wolvie 10s, this would be the runt, and the last picked. I feel for anyone who paid full gap for that copy. It is not a 9.8, no matter what the label says. Is it possible this happened somewhere between the book being graded and it being stabbed.

Isn't it a printing error...?

If you want my opinion, that's one very odd looking printing error. Personally, I'd inspect that bugger with a loupe. If you see definite signs of paper loss, you may be able to establish that it was damaged during the encapsulation process. I'd also try to find other copies of the book to see if this is a common defect...  ;)

Edited by The Lions Den

That looks very suspect to me. I am not at a good enough monitor to see any great detail, but if that is a printing defect, it is the oddest shaped defect I ever saw. Has all the telltale markings of a tape pull.