• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you remember the 1st book you bought off Ebay?
1 1

44 posts in this topic

Ebay was fun back in the day of dial up internet you could get some good deals cheap. It was risky even back then if you got the book without being worked on.I find the prices to be crazy nowadays and the sellers to be hit or miss on raws:smile:

Edited by comicjack

I think my first comic off of e-bay was a set of 8 of the most recent X-Men books that i had missed.  Cover price was something like $3 a piece and I paid $1.50 each with shipping.  I remember this since I went in to my lcs at the time and cancelled my entire pull list since it was obviously cheaper to get the books a bit late on e-bay.  The store owner was not too pleased about e-bay taking a ton of his business.

mine was ASM 31 and ASM 8 got them for a good deal way back still have them and wont let them go part of my ASM collection. 

6 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I tested the water with a cheap run of Harbinger Valiant issues, 1 up.

After I’d paid, I got an email from the seller in which I read the line ‘I am not a professional grader’ for the first time and, surprise, surprise, the books were all garbage, despite originally being described as near mint.

One reason I soon gravitated towards CGC, before eventually joining the boards here.

Same here.  I probably bought either Harbinger #1 or Rai #3, both were books that I wanted but never found/afforded years earlier.  Ebay "Near Mint" was generally 8.5, with occasional 9.6+. I'll celebrate 22 years on Ebay next month.

The first books I bought off ebay was a lot of about 30 Wolverine books for $76. It was mostly the early run of the first ongoing series and 1&2 of the mini series. I had 1&2 of the mini graded with a blue label then eventually 1 signed 4 times. I still have it. This book was very iconic for me growing up. I remember drooling over it seeing it on the wall of my lcs.

Wolv.jpeg

Edited by STORMSHADOW_80

14 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I tested the water with a cheap run of Harbinger Valiant issues, 1 up.

After I’d paid, I got an email from the seller in which I read the line ‘I am not a professional grader’ for the first time and, surprise, surprise, the books were all garbage, despite originally being described as near mint.

One reason I soon gravitated towards CGC, before eventually joining the boards here.

Thats like some dude with a demolished rusty car describing it as perfect condition and then well after all I'm not a professional car appraiser.

Even non pros can see torn up garbage HELLO

I used to buy on ebay with check then wait for check to clear etc.  Took about a month to get my items.  My buddy finally convinced me to get Paypal and the first thing I ordered was on my doorstop the next day.

the best thing about eBay was that all of a sudden a nation of comic collectors realized that we were lied to or misguided and nothing was really as rare and scarce as we were led to believe. 

8 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

the best thing about eBay was that all of a sudden a nation of comic collectors realized that we were lied to or misguided and nothing was really as rare and scarce as we were led to believe. 

BINGO

for years I sought out the Wham O giant comic book it just didnt exist.  Then ebay came along and BOOM.

A then full run of Spawn 1-72, meaning I bought it around May 1998, since 72 was the latest issue at the time. Still got them all, actually just rediscovered this collection this past Spring. It was awesome. I got them for less than cover with shipping, aww yeah.

1st book? Not exactly.

My first purchase was two auction wins from the same seller for over 100 (Amazing/Spectacular) Spider-Man comics. The best issue in the lots was ASM 238, which I would almost certainly still be missing otherwise.

I only got involved with ebay around 2013 when I started selling things to make some money and downsize for a future move. Then as a result of needing answers about how comics were best sold, found the CGC website - lurked around for a while then joined. It reinvigorated my desire to collect comic books though I did sell plenty of my doubles, coverless, and other things I didn't care much about comic wise. Some regrets naturally as I delved deeper into the hobby.

But I know exactly what and when my first comic purchase on ebay was (I keep excellent records) -- it was October 15th, 2014 and I bought two books -- Tales of Suspense #84 & #88. I still have them. They were mid grade books (~4.5) and I paid a whopping $8.91 (shipped) from a seller named "aces".

Edited by 01TheDude

My very first purchase off of eBay was the original Amazing Spider-man #1. I had just worked all summer of 1998 saving money for my freshman year of college when lo and behold I discovered eBay. The issue was purported to be in Very Fine condition and starting bid was $1,900. After some serious consideration and discussion with my two best friends, I took the plunge and submitted the winning bid. No Marvel chipping or writing. Really solid book. 3 years later I submitted it to CGC, came back an unrestored 4.0. I treasured it for an additional 3-4 years before selling it for $2,400. The buyer was super pleased and messaged me after receiving it felt it was at least a 5.0. One of my regrets, but at least I owned one. 

Edited by spidey300

17 hours ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

The first books I bought off ebay was a lot of about 30 Wolverine books for $76. It was mostly the early run of the first ongoing series and 1&2 of the mini series. I had 1&2 of the mini graded with a blue label then eventually 1 signed 4 times. I still have it. This book was very iconic for me growing up. I remember drooling over it seeing it on the wall of my lcs.

Wolv.jpeg

P.S. I remember getting the business from the seller asking if i was going to screw him over because I had zero feedback. This was back in 2013

8 minutes ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

P.S. I remember getting the business from the seller asking if i was going to screw him over because I had zero feedback. This was back in 2013

lol I imagine :) I remember trying to by an X-factor #6 in 9.4, and I was "blocked from the seller", and I had 100% positive feedback at 2-6 lol and had never left a neg, I can only imagine it was because of my low feedback, I eventually did buy it from the seller though! ^^