• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loki vs. Daredevil in Manhattan!
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Hey folks, if you’re in NYC over the next three months and are a theater lover, I HIGHLY recommend checking out BETRAYAL at the Jacobs Theater.  It’s one of Harold Pinter’s famous memory plays and this is an extremely well done production! It’s in previews now, opening next week (9/5) after a success run in London earlier in the year.

It’s a play with just three actors, two chairs and a great story... and in this case two of the actors are Tom Hiddleston and Charlie Cox.   So for all you Marvel fans who don’t normally love the theater, when else will you get to see Loki and Daredevil up close like that?

Seriously, we saw it tonight and it was really great.  I’m assuming reviews will be outstanding when it opens and tickets will go fast, so I highly recommend it!

And hey, if Pinter and Marvel isn’t enough to recommend it for you? Seeing the play will also explain to you why all of your friends who were either Theater or English majors (like me) always were soooo amused by the backwards episode of Seinfeld. :) 

Frank

3 hours ago, fmaz said:

And hey, if Pinter and Marvel isn’t enough to recommend it for you? Seeing the play will also explain to you why all of your friends who were either Theater or English majors (like me) always were soooo amused by the backwards episode of Seinfeld. :)

I wonder how many of us went to youtube to revisit that episode -- which has been "fixed" there by playing it in the correct timeline-- ruining the intent of the dang episode. Now I gotta find it on Netflix to watch it as Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld intended.

FYI --- 164th episode of the NBC sitcom Seinfeld. This was the eighth episode for the ninth and final season. It aired on November 20, 1997

Edited by 01TheDude

31 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

I wonder how many of us went to youtube to revisit that episode -- which has been "fixed" there by playing it in the correct timeline-- ruining the intent of the dang episode. Now I gotta find it on Netflix to watch it as Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld intended.

FYI --- 164th episode of the NBC sitcom Seinfeld. This was the eighth episode for the ninth and final season. It aired on November 20, 1997

wow whats it like in real time?

39 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

Yeah, the episode is quite ingenious on it’s own... but the little nods to “Betrayal” (besides actually naming the episode - ‘the Betrayal”) are fun... it’s about a love triangle... Elaine had dated the groom previously, a guy named “Peter”... who, surprisingly, turned out to actually be named...(wait for it)... “Pinter”... good stuff.

And again, both Hiddleston and Cox were FANTASTIC in this production.  I highly recommend catching this for anyone who enjoys this kind of theater, or just seeing really good actors ACT.   The third lead, Zawe Ashton was also excellent.  We were not familiar with her work coming in.  

3 hours ago, fmaz said:

The third lead, Zawe Ashton was also excellent.  We were not familiar with her work coming in

She’s done shows on British TV, such as the university drama ‘Fresh Meat’.

10 hours ago, kav said:

wow whats it like in real time?

as I recall-- it was spectacular (nudge to fellow Seinfeld fans, especially you Delores). I remember watching in live and the initial confusion made me glad I was also taping it (yes-- VCR recording-- this was over 20 years ago).

The bummer is that it was available on Netflix or Prime (well without buying the season- hard pass). My guess is it can be found for free streaming on the NBC website but I ran completely out of "giving a sheet" after Prime.

My wife and I actually have tickets to this for next Thursday (which turned out to be opening night, something I didn't know when I got the tickets, hehe). We saw Charlie Cox when he was off-Broadway in Incognito a couple of years ago, and while I was a bit lukewarm on the play, I thought he was very good (sometimes, screen actors don't do as well on stage, and vice versa). We're definitely looking forward to seeing this.

1 hour ago, Cocomonkey said:

My wife and I actually have tickets to this for next Thursday (which turned out to be opening night, something I didn't know when I got the tickets, hehe). We saw Charlie Cox when he was off-Broadway in Incognito a couple of years ago, and while I was a bit lukewarm on the play, I thought he was very good (sometimes, screen actors don't do as well on stage, and vice versa). We're definitely looking forward to seeing this.

Spoke to someone afterwards who also saw him in Incognito and said it was the reason they came to see this show. Can’t wait to hear what you think of Betrayal.

55 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

It also has three people -- who knows. Maybe the Daredevil guy just plays a waiter or something.

In all seriousness, it’s a really complex and engaging love triangle... story about friendships and deception.  The three actors are on the stage at all times, even when the scene just involves two of them.  The third is standing off in the background.  It’s really cool.

35 minutes ago, fmaz said:

In all seriousness, it’s a really complex and engaging love triangle... story about friendships and deception.  The three actors are on the stage at all times, even when the scene just involves two of them.  The third is standing off in the background.  It’s really cool.

you mean the guy filling the water glasses and getting the basket of bread?

jk-- I'll stop.

Saw this last night (opening night, with a snazzy sticker on the playbill saying it). I thought the show was good, even though plays like this, with practically nothing on stage but people talking to each other, aren't really my jam, and both Charlie Cox and Tom Hiddleston were great. We'd hoped to stay after to get our playbills signed, but there was a huge crowd already by the time we got outside, so I'll likely just go over there one night and wait until another show ends, so I can get a good spot by the door.

Yeah, photos of stage door for the show have been crazy. FYI, I think because of that, they're supposedly trying to put in measures to discourage those who were not at the show from claiming prime spots at the stage door before those in the theater... so you might want to see if that's actually occurring before you venture back.  Great review in the NYTimes yesterday.

That's very cool that you were there for opening night.