• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

as a percentage-- how much of your collection have you read?
1 1

85 posts in this topic

I was just thinking about how many books I have that I might have not read -- even ones I've had since the 1970s.

Some of this is due to acquiring a bunch of books in large amounts at various times-- others got put aside for later but just never got my attention.

I only have 1900 books (and sold or traded away another 200 or so) -- and out of that, I estimate I have read about 60% of them. I see these threads where people are trying to read 1000 comics in a year and amazed they have that kind of time, interest, and dedication. Kudos to them.

How would you count reading electronically books you physically own? I have Most of the Warren magazines electronically. I have read very few of the physical copies of those books that I own. 

I've read the ones I've wanted to, or that I could find cheap enough TO read.

Others I've read stories after the 1st appearance that made me fall in love with the character, so I collect their 1st appearance, but it's not always cheap enough to read....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
, so

I had to turn it into a process for this very reason. If I buy a book for my collection, it goes into the to-be-read box. Once I read it, it goes into the long boxes. Before this, I would let them pile up before boxing them and every once in a while I'd have to spend an hour or two filing. The to-be-read box is a short box, so that if I don't have room to put a book in it, I have to "read it down" a little so I can buy more comics. The only exception is Legion of Super-heroes. It has become it's own collection. I decided a while back I was going to fill all the holes before reading. Those are probably the only comics in my long boxes that haven't been read. There are probably 50 comics unread out of the 3,500+ in my personal collection. You do the math.

On the flipside, any book I buy with the intention of selling generally goes unread. I have about 1,000 grab bag comics and I know that I've only read a handful of them (hence their status as grab bag and not PC). Add in the spec books and gems in the wild and I'd say I have only read 1% of those. There are titles in there I wish I could read, but there's never going to be enough time to go through all of that in addition to what I bring in on the regular.  

collected from the late 70's to late 80's starting as a young teenager so I was only buying what I wanted to read.   Therefore, I've read them all and then put them in storage.

I'd have to think about how many I pulled out of storage to read a 2nd time

Possibly about 80%.

I still have a box full of trades and hardcovers to read, but the percentage is falling now as a result of the copious amount of digital comics I’m getting, due mainly to the generous deals on Humble Bundle, and I can’t keep up with all that.

In the 80s and 90s the figure would’ve been around 95%.

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I would guess about 1 %

wow at least you can say your in the top 1%! (: richy rich right there :baiting:

I've cut back to where I just read the covers...., :blush: