• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

as a percentage-- how much of your collection have you read?
1 1

85 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Alf Pogs said:

I read everything until Burnside Batgirl and I gouged out my eyes. 

good god that sounds dumb.  Creators of that should be ashamed of themselves.

"Following the rest of Gotham City’s young adults to the hip border district of Burnside, Barbara sets about building an all-new Batgirl…and discovers new threats preying on her peers! As the new hero of Burnside, Batgirl gets started by facing twin sister assassins on motorcycles!"

GOLLY!!!  MOTORCYCLES!!!!  

1 hour ago, Alf Pogs said:
2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

read the covers

pages stuck together?

hm  Nope.  No greggys at my house.

10 hours ago, wombat said:

How would you count reading electronically books you physically own? I have Most of the Warren magazines electronically. I have read very few of the physical copies of those books that I own. 

I would count that--- it doesn't have to be the actual book itself (I mean so many people here own a lot of their books encapsulated). We also have multiple versions of the same book - be it from reprints or treasury or TPB etc -- so digital copy reading is still knowing the story. That might mean some people have percentages over 100% - who knows. Also-- if you have 50 copies of the same book-- reading it once should be counted as reading them all.

It is just a guesstimate after all -- not a judgement. The first slab I ever owned (DD 9)-- I bought a 1.0 reader for it then realized I had the same story in a Marvel Super Heroes reprint. Still nice to be able to flip through that reader to know what the slabbed book looks like.

8 hours ago, Conacon said:

I decided a while back I was going to fill all the holes before reading. Those are probably the only comics in my long boxes that haven't been read.

I did something similar with Kamandi and Daredevil -- still have plenty to read there. I ended up buying some TPBs of them so not to damage the higher quality copies though.

7 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

Almost 100%, though most of the more valuable comics that were obtained as an adult (many of them slabbed) were "read" via reprints or collected TPBs, omnibuses, etc.

I even cracked open my Gabby Gob to read it - surprisingly, it has never been reprinted. (shrug)

I cannot find a reprint of DD 131 or 168 -- other than an entire TPB. They are the two books missing from my DD collection I have no copies of but I refuse to buy an entire TPB(or two) for two books. I will probably find them digitally somewhere eventually. Or who knows-- buy a reader copy for $50 (yeesh)

Do you ever find yourself about to sell a comic(s) and realize you haven't read it-- and then scramble to find the time to read it so you can sell or ship it?

The last time this happened was before I sent the group of DC books I offered as a prize when I realized I had not even read the copy of  From Beyond the Unknown #1 that I bought on a whim off ebay several years before. Glad I did- it was pretty good sci fi.   

There is nothing in my collection I have not read. Even the encapsulated books I've read the stories at some point in time.  I also purchase very few new comics and what few I do buy I read. 

11 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Of ~12K, I would guess that 90% is a super safe estimate.  More likely 95%.

Patrick 

(thumbsu (except I only own about half that number)

Most unread issues are due to waiting to fill in more of the run, though I've significantly disregarded that to read incomplete sets in the last couple of years.

14 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I cannot find a reprint of DD 131 or 168 -- other than an entire TPB. They are the two books missing from my DD collection I have no copies of but I refuse to buy an entire TPB(or two) for two books. I will probably find them digitally somewhere eventually. Or who knows-- buy a reader copy for $50 (yeesh)

Don't worry I'm sure they will make true believers or facsimile editions of those shortly

14 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

Do you ever find yourself about to sell a comic(s) and realize you haven't read it-- and then scramble to find the time to read it so you can sell or ship it?

The last time this happened was before I sent the group of DC books I offered as a prize when I realized I had not even read the copy of  From Beyond the Unknown #1 that I bought on a whim off ebay several years before. Glad I did- it was pretty good sci fi.   

big fan of FBTU and all other DC sci fi titles.  One area where DC soundly defeated Marvel was the sci fi books.