• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

with all the talk of Batman11

8 posts in this topic

On 8/27/2019 at 6:17 PM, NoMan said:

in some other thread it got me to thinking: Why was Robin brought to the book? I know. Bring in kids. But is it somewhere written in official history by the folk that were there that Batman, without the kid sidekick in yellow or whatever, was too dark?

Bill Finger believed that,by having a kid sidekick, children could identity with the character. It may not be in keeping with modern sensibilities, but sidekicks go far back into literature, especially "boys books". We can argue with the wisdom of kid sidekicks, but it worked. Captain America had Bucky, the Human Torch had Toro,  The Shield had Dusty, etc. It was definitely a winning formula, because the 1940's were the most popular and highest selling period in the history of comic books.

Edited by Larryw7

16 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Bill Finger believed that,by having a kid sidekick, children could identity with the character. It may not be in keeping with modern sensibilities, but sidekicks go far back into literature, especially "boys books". We can argue with the wisdom of kid sidekicks, but it worked. Captain America had Bucky, the Human Torch had Toro,  The Shield had Dusty, etc. It was definitely a winning formula, because the 1940's were the most popular and highest selling period in the history of comic books.

I think it was Steranko in his "History of the Comics" that related Finger was thinking a sidekick would stop Batman having to  constantly internalise, or talk to himself, i.e. he had someone else to discuss the "adventure" with.

At the All Time Classic show in White Plains many years ago I had the pleasure of hanging out with Jerry Robinson for most of it and he said that Robin was an editorial dictate because they were making Batman too "Shadow-like" with his bloodthirsty nature.   He said they had too many parents complaining.   I always thought Robinson came in after Batman #1 but apparently he was hired by Kane a bit earlier.

On 9/3/2019 at 11:45 AM, Larryw7 said:

thanks for the 411, Boss.