• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoration Value Reduction

8 posts in this topic

Good morning all!  I'm new to collecting/selling and wanted to get some input on how a Restoration label impacts the value of a book.  I recently sent a copy of ASM 37 off for grading and it came back as an 8.5 WHITE C-1 restoration.  The retailer where I purchased it is offering to refund my money ($350) because they weren't aware of a restoration.  Original purchase price and grading fees put me out a little over $400.  The most recent 8.5 Universal label sale was $800.  Is restoration removal and re-grade a good option?  Probably no "one-size fits all" answer here, but figured I'd get some input from the experts.

Thanks,

Kevin

2 minutes ago, musk4star said:

The retailer where I purchased it is offering to refund my money ($350) because they weren't aware of a restoration.

I would take the money and walk away.  Buy a different copy and be happy the seller offered the return. 

4 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I would take the money and walk away.  Buy a different copy and be happy the seller offered the return. 

I would agree as resto removal is not  guarantee to get a blue label and depends on the resto it will leave the book in a lower condition possibly or ruin the overall appearance such as scrapping CT off etc.. or opening a tear 

Take the money and walk away.  It would be great if the retailer even gave you a little extra for your grading fees (maybe an in-store discount?)

Resto removal is really only for the mega-key issues like AF 15 or ASM 1.  

I'm guessing your comic probably had some color touch.  Sure, you can send it back for grading, but consider this.... 1) shipping fee to send it in.  2) the fee for resto removal.  3) the fee for regrading. 4) the fee for them to ship it back. 5) your original grading/shipping fees. 6) LOTS of time waiting.  7) it will almost 100% get a lower grade with resto removal.  Let's say it gets an 8.0 blue.... ASM 37s are going for about $400 right now in 8.0.

Do you see now?  The comic can become a money pit.

Take the money and walk away.  Thank the retailer for being a stand up guy.  Find another nice copy (maybe a graded one)

Edited by gadzukes