• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kirby’s Birthday
1 1

70 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, RICKYBOBBY said:

I guess - you must consider most of his covers C- as well. What cover is 100% kirby after the inker is done? O.o

You are aware that it's not inked, right?

Apple...meet...orange.

lol

Well I am only talking about the final image a person would see - so not apples and oranges lol. You see 70% kirby in SS piece and you would see a similar percentage in a final cover. 

Here maybe some people are only okay seeing a final product - maybe you’ll like this better

3BA3FEFE-A4D7-4978-A00B-508383B9AFCC.jpeg

7 hours ago, glendgold said:

Yeah, it's amazing - I don't own it but a friend does.

I printed the image of it and pasted it onto a college journal I had to submit at the end of semester. The professor said my work was fairly standard but the unsolicited cover added to my notebook put me over the top. Again thank you Jack Kirby.

I get more than a little fidgety when I hear stuff like "around N% by artist X".  

What does that mean?  Did the artist do all of the backgrounds and none of the figures?  Did he draw faces only?  Hands, feet, torsos and a couple of trees?  I don't know and neither does anyone else including an expert who's using the term "around".  Clearly he can't remember if he's using that type of term.  

Add to this that there were people that were very good at signing said artist's signature all adds up to "caveat emptor" IMO.

38 minutes ago, artdealer said:

If a piece of art is not 100% pencilled by Kirby, then it’s not a total Kirby and therefore not worth nearly what a completely 100% pencilled Kirby would be worth.

MI

No argument there. Not even talking about monetary value here. Just trying to set the record straight here that it is Kirby. So he had some help on it - it still doesn’t change how magnificent the piece is. And Saying it’s not Kirby is just a rude opinion.

Just now, RICKYBOBBY said:

No argument there. Not even talking about monetary value here. Just trying to set the record straight here that it is Kirby. So he had some help on it - it still doesn’t change how magnificent the piece is. And Saying it’s not Kirby is just a rude opinion.

Well, it's a partial Kirby.
And it's not that magnificent considering is only a partial Kirby.

3 minutes ago, RICKYBOBBY said:

That's not a rude opinion that's a fact.   

15 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

That's not a rude opinion that's a fact.   

No it’s not fact it’s an opinion. Don’t get confused.

The fact is - Jack Kirby worked on this piece. Anything beyond that is just someone’s opinion that has no backing.

Edited by RICKYBOBBY

35 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

I get more than a little fidgety when I hear stuff like "around N% by artist X".  

What does that mean?  Did the artist do all of the backgrounds and none of the figures?  Did he draw faces only?  Hands, feet, torsos and a couple of trees?  I don't know and neither does anyone else including an expert who's using the term "around".  Clearly he can't remember if he's using that type of term.  

Add to this that there were people that were very good at signing said artist's signature all adds up to "caveat emptor" IMO.

I wouldn’t get lost in the % numbers. Mark was nice enough to provide an idea that it’s majority Jack Kirby. You can jus translate that into “he had some help”. 

26 minutes ago, RICKYBOBBY said:

The fact is - Jack Kirby worked on this piece. Anything beyond that is just someone’s opinion that has no backing.

The fact is it’s not 100% Kirby. That’s an undisputed fact.

Therefore this must be described as “drawn by Kirby and an assistant”.

Regardless of how much you want this to be 100% Kirby, it will never be. And when you go to sell, you’ll be surprised to see how the attribution will affect the price.

1 minute ago, artdealer said:

The fact is it’s not 100% Kirby. That’s an undisputed fact.

Therefore this must be described as “drawn by Kirby and an assistant”.

Regardless of how much you want this to be 100% Kirby, it will never be. And when you go to sell, you’ll be surprised to see how the attribution will affect the price.

Hey listen you keep bringing this back to money. I don’t care Jack had help on this piece and many others who don’t mind.

How many Jack Kirby Silver Surfer pencils with Dr doom do you know that exist? I am guessing not many. I know of one and he turned 100k down.

Its a great piece to own and looks amazing on the wall. If you care kirby had help on it then that’s your preference

49 minutes ago, RICKYBOBBY said:

Jack had it hanging in his home. That’s magnificent enough for me.

I once had a Playboy calendar hanging in my home.  It was magnificent enough for me - but it wasn't 100% real.

59 minutes ago, RICKYBOBBY said:

I'm not the one that's confused.  What is fact is that it's not 100% Kirby.  What is also fact is that no one can seem to say exactly what he did on this piece.  We have a guesstimate of 70% but that doesn't tell anyone anything...

Edited by pemart1966