• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found an old comic shop today, the books were all double cover price though, so I just got some Richie Rich
1 1

68 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, thunsicker said:
15 hours ago, kav said:

If someone ignores a cogent warning then they get what they get.

And if she didn’t want to get sexually assaulted she shouldn’t have dressed so sexy!

she got greedy.  she was warned.  she got what she got.  Greed can have consequences.

17 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

One abridged version:

I'm of two minds about sharing this post.  On the one hand, I hate stories that reveal that comic collecting has a very dark underbelly of corruption and unethical treatment which reflect really bad on the activity and its integrity.  It is depressing. On the other hand, I think it is important to know who the good and the bad guys are/were.  

The post comes from this thread:

Great story about greed. Unfortunately, and IMO, the lady got what she deserved for reneging on the first honest offer.

Reminds me of my favorite (bitter) story of the guy who clearly accepted my Craigslist offer over the phone, then a few hours later, just before I was about to drive an hour or two to pick them up and pay -- I get a phone call message on the answering machine, "Oh, I am selling them to someone else who is paying more, don't come anymore." I saw them in a local comic store for sale a few days later. Really brings up negative memories even thinking about had I have driven there already, and cell phones weren't around much back then.

Edited by bronze_rules

47 minutes ago, bronze_rules said:

Great story about greed. Unfortunately, and IMO, the lady got what she deserved for reneging on the first honest offer.

Reminds me of my favorite (bitter) story of the guy who clearly accepted my Craigslist offer over the phone, then a few hours later, just before I was about to drive an hour or two to pick them up and pay -- I get a phone call message on the answering machine, "Oh, I am selling them to someone else who is paying more, don't come anymore." I saw them in a local comic store for sale a few days later. Really brings up negative memories even thinking about had I have driven there already, and cell phones weren't around much back then.

You seem confused.  Richard (YellowKid) did not say that Rick Durell's widow reneged on an agreement that they had made.  Instead he says that at the last minute the widow turned down his offer in favor of Gerber's seemingly better offer.  Richard is not dissing the widow:

Leonard asked me to buy it for the store, and it looked like we almost had a deal where I offered to buy it all for cash at fair market value.  It was a lot of cash and no one else came close to matching my offer.  At the last minute, she said she was sorry but someone else had offered her triple what I offered, and she was going to take his offer.

According to the post, Gerber made an offer he could not honor.  The widow cannot be held at fault for believing that the person who made her an offer could afford to live up to its payment terms.  That Gerber made an offer without resources to fund it is all on him.  The widow further cannot be held at fault when Gerber, after the widow gave Gerber a break and told him he could start selling books to fund his payment obligation, (1) uses the moneyfor his Photo-Journals project instead of paying her and (2) starts charging her for "restoring" the comics he was selling.  

Rick Durell's widow did not "get what she deserved."  What she deserved is what Gerber promised here.  Instead, she got taken advantage of.  And no ethical person should be condemning the widow.

30 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I'm kind or sorry this thread has gone this way. I figured it might. Kind of like sitting in traffic because of a car accident and finally looking at why...

First off, Rick's widow HATED his comic book collection. He was very passionate, maybe to much so. Sounds like she got a little greedy and got taken. It suks and represents the dark under belly of this hobby. Most of these people are gone now what is the point of bringing it up? There are other dark stories of folks still living who have tarnished this hobby. I prefer not to dwell on something that I wasn't a part of and is none of my business.

The good part is what I contributed. These stores were special and wonderous places back in the day. This is what should be the attention of this post. I wish you all could have been there. I can still picture that hallway at Cherokee filled with boxes of old comics and checking my pocket to see how many I could take home...

There is nothing wrong with talking about the bad as well. This hobby has had, and still has, plenty of shady, shady people involved.

You can't have a history of the hobby by just focusing on all the good stuff. It sounds as if Ernie Gerber, who produced those fantastic journals, also managed to pull one over on someone. And it sucks that it sounds like it was in conjunction with producing those journals.

Celebrate the good but be damned aware of the bad. That some of the characters have passed doesn't mitigate their part. 

I can't get behind it not being yours or my business. It is a part of the history of the hobby we share. People being hush hush about bad things allows them to happen again. How many guys here have laid out that they have someone designated to sell their collection if they pass unexpectedly?  That's a part of life and stories like these are a good reminder to others here that it isn't all rosy and you should have some plan in place.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy hearing stories like yours about these places more but I don't think discussing these things is a bad thing.

Edited by Park

1 hour ago, Park said:

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy hearing stories like yours about these places more but I don't think discussing these things is a bad thing.

I'm with the Robotman that the bad stories are depressing and not my preferred topic. I especially don't want to see anyone falsely accused.  But, I'm with you that you learn a lot from these stories that is helpful to learn, and the telling of the stories does help avoid future problems.  Fortunately, this site is populated by a lot of the good guys. 

11 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

You seem confused.  Richard (YellowKid) did not say that Rick Durell's widow reneged on an agreement that they had made.  Instead he says that at the last minute the widow turned down his offer in favor of Gerber's seemingly better offer.  Richard is not dissing the widow:

According to the post, Gerber made an offer he could not honor.  The widow cannot be held at fault for believing that the person who made her an offer could afford to live up to its payment terms.  That Gerber made an offer without resources to fund it is all on him.  The widow further cannot be held at fault when Gerber, after the widow gave Gerber a break and told him he could start selling books to fund his payment obligation, (1) uses the moneyfor his Photo-Journals project instead of paying her and (2) starts charging her for "restoring" the comics he was selling.  

Rick Durell's widow did not "get what she deserved."  What she deserved is what Gerber promised here.  Instead, she got taken advantage of.  And no ethical person should be condemning the widow.

Yes, I did hastily misread that part and it somehow resonated and conflated with memories of my own bad incident.:headbang:

She never did reneg, and hence did not deserve any misfortune for that reason.  

On a more positive note, love the dreamy color... can’t believe I spent so much time on board projects back then.:cry:

The story about the widow serves as a cautionary tale for collectors to be sure to have someone lined up who knows comics and will do right by your heirs. If the widow were prepared by the husband with contacts of trusted people to work with, this whole series of events might have gone better all around. Or perhaps he did exactly that but did not assign the most trusted person to help guide the decision.

Edited by 01TheDude