• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was scrolling through the Comiclink auction results today...
3 3

123 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

lol I still get the Mignola books from Dark Horse, Daredevil, Terry Moore books, and a few other odds and ends.  I've been collecting "moderns" for about 50 years.

You have better taste in moderns than me.

Not that I'm complaining... if you were collecting these books in the 70s, 80s, 90s... frankly even the first 10-12 years of the 2000s and had stubborn enough collecting habits to have kept them, you're sitting on quite a valuable collection today.   Many of these books were collector's targets back then as well, just a whole lot cheaper! 

2 hours ago, EastEnd1 said:

...and it suddenly struck me how many books closed for over $1000... many for multiple thousands!  It's become such a common event these days that I'd never really stopped to take note of it before.  Never in my wildest imagination could I have thought this possible when I started collecting in the 1970s.  This hobby has come a LONG way!  

Thank you CGC! If you're looking for the #1 reason, look no further. (worship)

Picked a good hobby to spend my 70’s paper route money on. If you ever take the time to compute the annual compounded returns the numbers are staggering. The only explanation is that interest rates at near zero for over a decade cause asset bubbles and comics are b a d a s s. Doesn’t look like rates are going up anytime soon either. 

5 hours ago, lizards2 said:

lol I still get the Mignola books from Dark Horse, Daredevil, Terry Moore books, and a few other odds and ends.  I've been collecting "moderns" for about 50 years.

Absolute, best comment I've read in months. (worship).. Being old has a few advantages, right? 

Edited by Tony S

6 hours ago, EastEnd1 said:

...and it suddenly struck me how many books closed for over $1000... many for multiple thousands!  It's become such a common event these days that I'd never really stopped to take note of it before.

Agreed. Apparently 'the market is insane'. 

32 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

After my doctor's visit yesterday, I'm giving serious thought to bailing. If and when the balloon bursts, it's not like prices will magically drop to "reasonable" levels. 

I agree it’s inevitable... back in the late 90’s before the initial onset spidey / x-men movies came out one could acquire an AF-15 for a few grand ... that’s gone and will likely stay gone ... I’m not naive enough to think that the comic craze won’t cool off, but it’s much more stable than tulip mania for example . I don’t want to be left holding the bag either , but I love collecting and don’t see that changing ... until then I’ll use paper to buy paper encased in plastic .

Here's an example... this Superman #199 just sold for $13,750 :o!! 

Now while I appreciate the nifty Superman vs Flash fastest man alive storyline (which if I recall correctly didn't solve the issue of who was faster by the way) and the difficult black cover, you could have bought a true NM+ copy for at most a few hundred dollars back when I got my copy!

RAD3A0CE2019813_152611.jpg

3 minutes ago, EastEnd1 said:

Now while I appreciate the nifty Superman vs Flash fastest man alive storyline (which if I recall correctly didn't solve the issue of who was faster by the way) and the difficult black cover, you could have bought a true NM+ copy for at most a few hundred dollars back when I got my copy!

You should know standard comic hero matchups by now - whoever’s name is on the title of the book wins in that issue :bigsmile:

37 minutes ago, EastEnd1 said:

The question I have is, at $13,750, is there anymore room for growth, or have we already seen 101% of the growth take place?

I remember selling my FF #52 7.5 ten years ago for the awesome sum of $118, now they are selling for 13X to 16X that. What other investment has seen that kind of growth in that time span, (and what kind of insufficiently_thoughtful_person was I for not buying every copy I could find instead of selling the only copy I had)? 

:pullhair:

Edited by Jaylam