• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was scrolling through the Comiclink auction results today...
3 3

123 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

The question I have is, at $13,750, is there anymore room for growth, or have we already seen 101% of the growth take place?

I remember selling my FF #52 7.5 ten years ago for the awesome sum of $118, now they are selling for 13X to 16X that. What other investment has seen that kind of growth in that time span, (and what kind of insufficiently_thoughtful_person was I for not buying every copy I could find instead of selling the only copy I had)? 

:pullhair:

Unless I'm mistaken the previous 9.6 of this book (same copy?) went for $18,000 on CLink a couple years ago when the JLA movie hype hit its peak with the talk that Flash and Supes will race in the film. 

7 hours ago, Tony S said:

Being old has a few advantages, right? 

When sitting with a group of young whipper-snappers, I will sometimes quip, "It looks like I'm winning...,"

30 minutes ago, Murphman13 said:

Unless I'm mistaken the previous 9.6 of this book (same copy?) went for $18,000 on CLink a couple years ago when the JLA movie hype hit its peak with the talk that Flash and Supes will race in the film. 

Holy Cow Murphman13, it went for more than that, but not the same copy. I guess at $13,750 it means the market is collapsing.

1701061737_superman1999.6.thumb.PNG.4aba1f95ecd621e3b2698b7bf1d5e0e4.PNG

I have to agree the prices are constantly going up a lot in such a short span. 

I have been wondering where all this new collectors and large incomes are coming from. I was wondering if many of the people who were baseball or stamp collectors have shifted over to comics as their medium has declined? 

Has anyone else thought that the influx of buyers and new collectors could be from other hobbies?

1 hour ago, Krishosein said:

I have to agree the prices are constantly going up a lot in such a short span. 

I have been wondering where all this new collectors and large incomes are coming from. I was wondering if many of the people who were baseball or stamp collectors have shifted over to comics as their medium has declined? 

Has anyone else thought that the influx of buyers and new collectors could be from other hobbies?

Some but i'd say most of the big buyers are from old collectors hitting their income maxes and have money to spend after the kids are out of the house and they sell off most of their run books.  If you check out the keys or ultra high grade books you will be shocked at prices but check out the rest of the market and you will be brought back to earth in terms of market prices.

3 hours ago, Jaylam said:

I remember selling my FF #52 7.5 ten years ago for the awesome sum of $118, now they are selling for 13X to 16X that. What other investment has seen that kind of growth in that time span...? 

Just like it's possible to pick out the rare comic book that appreciated 16x in value in ten years, so too are there several US stocks whose price has appreciated by 16x and for some much more in a decade.  To give an example, Amazon shares have risen more than 20-fold in the last 10 years.  So that's another category of investment that, like vintage comics, has examples that have seen that kind of growth.

Edited by namisgr

31 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Some but i'd say most of the big buyers are from old collectors hitting their income maxes and have money to spend after the kids are out of the house and they sell off most of their run books.  If you check out the keys or ultra high grade books you will be shocked at prices but check out the rest of the market and you will be brought back to earth in terms of market prices.

well I mean I see and hear that run books can be had for cheap prices like a few US dollars but trying to get some run books I am starting to see that anything that has something even minor appearance or first appearance of a vehicle are now going up a lot even minor fillers that weren't really considered keys are not being classified as keys to some and the prices are rising very dramatically. 

I was guess this was because well new collectors from other hobbies know first appearances usually are considered keys, etc.. so they are grabbing up anything that they think can turn into a key because they are kind of late to the party already.. Just thoughts and guesses no idea how true it might be or if we could ever prove this. 

but just my thoughts.

16 hours ago, EastEnd1 said:

...and it suddenly struck me how many books closed for over $1000... many for multiple thousands!  It's become such a common event these days that I'd never really stopped to take note of it before.  Never in my wildest imagination could I have thought this possible when I started collecting in the 1970s.  This hobby has come a LONG way!  

Yes, I remember buying books off the shelves of the LCS back in the 70's and 80's and dreaming that I might be able to hopefully sell them one day in the future at something close to guide.  :wishluck:

Nowadays, I go onto some of the auction sites and dream that I might be able to find a book that I want and hopefully be able to buy it at something close to guide.  :wishluck:  :wishluck:

3 hours ago, Jaylam said:

Holy Cow Murphman13, it went for more than that, but not the same copy. I guess at $13,750 it means the market is collapsing.

1701061737_superman1999.6.thumb.PNG.4aba1f95ecd621e3b2698b7bf1d5e0e4.PNG

Yes, when the boardie who started this thread mentioned the Supes 199 sale for $13,750; this was the first thing that also came to my mind.  Especially since I clearly remembered the near $20K sale as I thought it was right out there at the time and that the purchaser was just asking for a beating going forward.  :tonofbricks:

Any bets the winner of this book here will also be suffering the same fate as this one also appears to be clearly right out there:

RAD5D93820151223_23446.jpg

Especially since it's hard to imagine anybody else in their right mind willing to pay more than $85,000 for a book like this once all of the movie hype dies down for what will most likely be a second or third tier movie.  This one here is really :screwy: :screwy: big time, especially considering there are already another 38 of them in CGC 9.8 graded condition which the owners will now be giving serious though to squish squash them in the hopes of getting the much higher valued 9.9 out of them.  :tonofbricks:

Even much more so than the $31,111 that was paid for the then NOT highest graded copy of Marvel Super-Heroes 13 since captain marvel will have a much bigger impact and longer movie shelf life as compared to Blade.  While we are at it, let's not forget the $15K that was paid for the then (but now no longer) CGC 9.8 single highest graded copy of Iron man 30 a few years ago.  doh!

6 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, when the boardie who started this thread mentioned the Supes 199 sale for $13,750; this was the first thing that also came to my mind.  Especially since I clearly remembered the near $20K sale as I thought it was right out there at the time and that the purchaser was just asking for a beating going forward.  :tonofbricks:

Any bets the winner of this book here will also be suffering the same fate as this one also appears to be clearly right out there:

RAD5D93820151223_23446.jpg

Especially since it's hard to imagine anybody else in their right mind willing to pay more than $85,000 for a book like this once all of the movie hype dies down for what will most likely be a second or third tier movie.  This one here is really :screwy: :screwy: big time, especially considering there are already another 38 of them in CGC 9.8 graded condition which the owners will now be giving serious though to squish squash them in the hopes of getting the much higher valued 9.9 out of them.  :tonofbricks:

Even much more so than the $31,111 that was paid for the then NOT highest graded copy of Marvel Super-Heroes 13 since captain marvel will have a much bigger impact and longer movie shelf life as compared to Blade.  While we are at it, let's not forget the $15K that was paid for the then (but now no longer) CGC 9.8 single highest graded copy of Iron man 30 a few years ago.  doh!

when will TOS 39 drop in prices.. been wanting a copy for a while. 

13 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I still can’t believe that TOD 10 went for $85,000.

$85,000

Can’t compute....:ohnoez:

Especially when you consider that $85,000 could buy you a much more important and solid key like a 6.5 to 7.0 Amazing Fantasy #15 or a Tales of Suspense #39 in 9.2 to 9.4. To each his own I guess. Of course if you can spend that kind of money on a TOD #10, you probably have all the other keys in high grade already.

Edited by Jaylam

It's possible that someone like myself who finds keys presently unaffordable, or is simply unwilling to pay the prices asked even at the lower end, might be seen by the current market's proponents as not being as committed to the hobby as they are, perhaps not even a diehard or real collector.  To a degree, that's a hurtful thought.

Just trying to understand an alternative, polarised perspective, I suppose.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, Jaylam said:

Especially when you consider that $85,000 could buy you a much more important and solid key like a 6.5 to 7.0 Amazing Fantasy #15 or a Tales of Suspense #39 in 9.2 to 9.4. To each his own I guess. Of course if you can spend that kind of money on a TOD #10, you probably have all the other keys in high grade already.

The underbidder bid $80,000 so there were at least TWO people that took it to this level!

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, I remember buying books off the shelves of the LCS back in the 70's and 80's and dreaming that I might be able to hopefully sell them one day in the future at something close to guide.  :wishluck:

Nowadays, I go onto some of the auction sites and dream that I might be able to find a book that I want and hopefully be able to buy it at something close to guide.  :wishluck:  :wishluck:

So funny... I totally remember that feeling... figuring that I'd only be able to sell to a dealer and he'd only give me 50% of guide at best!  So the appreciation for me to make money would have to be over 100% and that was unlikely to happen.

4 hours ago, Krishosein said:

well I mean I see and hear that run books can be had for cheap prices like a few US dollars but trying to get some run books I am starting to see that anything that has something even minor appearance or first appearance of a vehicle are now going up a lot even minor fillers that weren't really considered keys are not being classified as keys to some and the prices are rising very dramatically. 

Yeah, I have to agree with this... there are far fewer pure run books today than there were 10-20 years.  Seems like any little unique aspect of a book commands attention now.  Just compare Overstreet guides over the periods... so many more "key" or "mini-key" issues are identified... 

7 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

It's possible that someone like myself who finds keys presently unaffordable, or is simply unwilling to pay the prices asked even at the lower end, might be seen by the current market's proponents as not being as committed to the hobby as they are, perhaps not even a diehard or real collector.  To a degree, that's a hurtful thought.

Just trying to understand an alternative, polarised perspective, I suppose.

I'd agree that that perspective, if it exists (I haven't seen it, and certainly don't feel that way myself) is extremely disheartening. I don't have the money to pay for the true keys, and finds the idea of paying anywhere close to $85k for a TOD 10 absurd. But I have built a nearly complete collection of my favorite book, and am working towards another collection that, while not a "pure run" collection, is still built around an organizational principle. So I would hope that my refusing to pay certain prices wouldn't denigrate me as a less than real collector.

12 hours ago, EastEnd1 said:
13 hours ago, Jaylam said:

The underbidder bid $80,000 so there were at least TWO people that took it to this level!

Correct......but that's also where the problem lies.  

Suppose the underbidder is the second biggest Blade fan in the world.  But then suppose that the third biggest Blade fan in the world is only willing to spend $20,000 on a book like this.  What happens the next time one comes up for auction?  Obviously, we don't really know......but one can see the very real possibility that the next copy might not sell for anywhere close to $80,000.

As opposed to books like an Amazing Fantasy #15 in CGC 7.0 or a Tales of Suspense #39 in CGC 9.4.........these books will likely be much more stable in their prices.....and when they see increases, they are more likely to be consistent across the board as additional copies come up for sale.