• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avenging Spiderman #9

3 posts in this topic

Regarding Avenging Spiderman #9  1st appearance of Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel.

I began watching auctions for this book back in the summer of 2018. This is what I noticed:

Both ebay and other Auction sites: the # of bidders and actual ending bids for this book continued to rise as the opening week of the movie "Captain Marvel" grew closer" 

Raw copies that appeared flawless in pics were easily ending at 170-200 range.

Books that were CGC cased and graded  9.8 were going as high as 500.00 -600.00. Grades of 9.6 were averaging near $300,00 -$350.00. Again ending bid numbers were in the 40-50 range.

After the movie was out in the theaters I noticed a drop in the number of bids as well as the ending price 

You can pick up a 9.8 ( cgc cased and graded for around  $300.) Not many auctions. Mostly buy it now listings. Raw copies have gone down as well, I just bought a beautiful copy for $70. After inspecting it, the book appears flawless. I cant even spot ang light creases or any slight imperfections. Will probably grade at 9.8.

My thoughts:

As soon as movie announcements come out books that are related ( like the one above ) will get more popular, receive more bids and steadily increase in ending bid prices as the movie release date gets closer. Best practice when buying if you want to profit when selling ( especially Mar

Look at the projected movies for the next MCU phase. Pick up books now that have 1st appearances of particular characters or #1 books. Pick up the books as soon as you can ( especially before the actual movie release date is announced. If you want to sell and get the most for your money, watch auctions and sell when it appears they have reached their peak. ( around 2-3 months before Movie comes to theaters)

Question ( for fans of Carol Danvers ) 

I own 3 copies of Avenging Spiderman #9  ( all in near mint condition)

One copy of Ms. Marvel #1 ( grade 8.5-9.0)

One copy of Marvel Superheroes #13 Nice grade ( probably a 7.0)

Will all of these books increase in popularity and value when Captain Marvel #2 movie date is announced? Also, are we throwing the Overstreet guide out the window now that upcoming films are dictating values of comic books? Please share your thoughts.

Thanks

On 8/29/2019 at 8:55 PM, Paul Clarizio said:

Question ( for fans of Carol Danvers ) 

I own 3 copies of Avenging Spiderman #9  ( all in near mint condition)

One copy of Ms. Marvel #1 ( grade 8.5-9.0)

One copy of Marvel Superheroes #13 Nice grade ( probably a 7.0)

Will all of these books increase in popularity and value when Captain Marvel #2 movie date is announced? Also, are we throwing the Overstreet guide out the window now that upcoming films are dictating values of comic books? Please share your thoughts.

Didn't Deadpool's New Mutants 98 spike at the movie announcement, level off afterwards, and spike again at the sequel announcement? I think I recall reading the the second spike was smaller. I think there's always going to be a pop when news breaks followed by a plateau or steady decline. With so many movies hitting the big screens now-a-days, it's almost like sitting on a surf board riding out a wave while waiting for that perfect one. 

As far as Overstreet, I often hear from buyers and sellers who quote from it without regard for contemporary value markers like ebay and other auction sites. As the wise man always says, it's worth what someone's willing to pay for it!

2 hours ago, Conacon said:

Didn't Deadpool's New Mutants 98 spike at the movie announcement, level off afterwards, and spike again at the sequel announcement? I think I recall reading the the second spike was smaller. I think there's always going to be a pop when news breaks followed by a plateau or steady decline. With so many movies hitting the big screens now-a-days, it's almost like sitting on a surf board riding out a wave while waiting for that perfect one. 

As far as Overstreet, I often hear from buyers and sellers who quote from it without regard for contemporary value markers like ebay and other auction sites. As the wise man always says, it's worth what someone's willing to pay for it!

No, the spike usually happens at a good rumor and when the official announcement is made. Everything after that is typically small movements compared to the original.

1.jpg