• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Share your Sandman Art!
4 4

121 posts in this topic

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 5:19 AM, pestonaccio said:

Let's try to define FMV, as the few auctions didn't help me clear my mind.

Apart from particular issues (1, 8, Shakespeare's issue, 50) how much an "average" page with dream is worth?

1) Kieth first issues

2) dringenberg the doll's  house

3) Kelley Jones season of mists

4) Thompson brief lives

5) Hempel kindly ones

6) McManus a game of you

7) others that I can't remember now and wiki is down :)

8) death first mini by Bachalo featuring the big sister.

Here's my Sandman OA article from 2017 with prices for many of the above artists:

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/02/03/series-spotlight-neil-gaimans-sandman/

Pursuant individual auction results can be found in the articles here:

https://comicbookinvest.com/?s=original+art+aficionado+sandman

5 hours ago, O. said:

Here's my Sandman OA article from 2017 with prices for many of the above artists:

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/02/03/series-spotlight-neil-gaimans-sandman/

Pursuant individual auction results can be found in the articles here:

https://comicbookinvest.com/?s=original+art+aficionado+sandman

Thank you for your message. It is my idea that a lot changed since 2016 and prices skyrocketed (a KJ page with dream under 10k? I wish it was true); furthermore pages are not easy to find in public auctions as the few that circulate are sold privately...

I remember reading that when it was published a couple years ago, and thinking the reported Thompson prices were a little low, based on what I’d seen sell.

In today’s market, they are just off. Jill sold a piece via Facebook for $15k. A good Morpheus panel page, but not a totally mind blowing splash or anything.

Then Vince Locke sold a page very similarly and recently for near as much. Again, very nice but not mind blowing.

Both of these sold via publicly via Facebook directly by the artists, within hours of being listed, if I recall correctly.

2 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

I remember reading that when it was published a couple years ago, and thinking the reported Thompson prices were a little low, based on what I’d seen sell.

In today’s market, they are just off. Jill sold a piece via Facebook for $15k. A good Morpheus panel page, but not a totally mind blowing splash or anything.

Then Vince Locke sold a page very similarly and recently for near as much. Again, very nice but not mind blowing.

Both of these sold via publicly via Facebook directly by the artists, within hours of being listed, if I recall correctly.

Locke sold a piece for 10k just before the summer break. It took him more or less 4 hours on Facebook before someone bought it; I am 100% sure about it as I contacted him a couple of minutes after the actual buyer. It's a page from issue 42 and has dream on almost every panel.

Jill sold another page without dream but with delirium and desire for 6k. Always listed on FB, always sold in a couple of hours. I don't remember the 15k page you are talking about.

Yeah, that list need to be updated.

44 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Here's the page that Vince sold for $10K.  According to Vince, it was the very last page of published Sandman OA he had.  Its a very nice example, with Dream throughout.  Congrats to the purchaser!

Sandman-42-9-720x1106[1].jpg

It was almost mine. Almost. If I wasn't 5/10 minutes late.

2 hours ago, dichotomy said:

I see those page from #38 are still in circulation - now up at Hakes. Owner has been trying to sell them for a couple years from what I’ve seen. It’s going to be tough to get premium Sandman prices for those. 

Are those the pages from the wolf clan issue? Eagleson? 

Can you provide a link? I haven't been able to find them.

On 9/15/2019 at 4:20 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Here's the page that Vince sold for $10K.  According to Vince, it was the very last page of published Sandman OA he had.  Its a very nice example, with Dream throughout.  Congrats to the purchaser!

Thanks, I was very happy to get this! (Posted it earlier in this thread, but it took a while for the post to get approved.)

On 9/17/2019 at 5:13 PM, dichotomy said:

I see those page from #38 are still in circulation - now up at Hakes. Owner has been trying to sell them for a couple years from what I’ve seen. It’s going to be tough to get premium Sandman prices for those. 

Can you clarify this? 

These came directly from Duncan and in fact it was actually my reaching out to him earlier in the year which prompted him to locate them. He was supposed to followup with me when he found them (apparently being held in storage), as well as finalise the details around a commission I was setting up. Alas he ghosted me and then a month later they popped up on Hake's. To my knowledge/research I've never seen them posted before.

Edited by jimmy020889

14 hours ago, jimmy020889 said:

Can you clarify this? 

These came directly from Duncan and in fact it was actually my reaching out to him earlier in the year which prompted him to locate them. He was supposed to followup with me when he found them (apparently being held in storage), as well as finalise the details around a commission I was setting up. Alas he ghosted me and then a month later they popped up on Hake's. To my knowledge/research I've never seen them posted before.

I’ve seen them before, not too long ago, but don’t remember where exactly, but I believe they were offered in a previous Hakes auction where presumably the reserve was not met. 

I have one piece - an artist's choice from a sketchbook - by Colleen Doran. Click to embiggen.
image.png.ae4f97dfca7de91a81e902c4beb212f8.png

As to why she chose Morpheus as opposed to an ADS character (which was the betting favorite along with Element Lad), she wrote (as I ask all of them to do):

I love doing this pencil style and this paper is perfect for it - the mysterious smoky pencil technique works best on characters like Sandman.

Basically, the medium dictated the message. Marshall McLuhan would be glad of the validation, I'm sure. :)

Edited by alxjhnsn