• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cracking a CGC blue label and finding restoration

107 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, pickycollector said:

There is a BIG difference. Purple labels sell for MUCH LESS than blue labels. You should not pay blue label price for a book that should sit in a purple label.

This is just an Atom #7, can you imagine if it was an Amazing Fantasy #15 instead?

I should preface Buying a Restored Book knowing restored is all good. 

7 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

...It is something else entirely to buy a book that you are assured isn't restored, paying unrestored prices to discover it is restored and that is what is at issue here.

I understand, but, "Obviously I do not want to keep this book for my collection now", is an unnecessary overreaction IMO.

It's a microscopic amount of alleged color touch.

Tricky situation.  If it was a missing page or a cut coupon that got missed I would bring it up with CGC or the seller.  Those are definable issues that are not your fault.  Tiny color touch is debatable and you may get 3 different answers even if you took it to 3 different grading experts depending on how small the touch is.  Unless you can get CGC to take care of the issue by buying the book (doubt it) or the seller wants to take it back I'd think the book is staying with you unless you want to sell it for a loss. 

Same book sold on the same day on feebay

both are 6.0 OW/W but one is blue label and one is purple label small amount of CT:whatthe:

1552810848_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.4d70c82fb8b5e6a4fe840bb8719cbe86.jpgs-l1600.thumb.jpg.3a905dcc38ff9276f641effc104d6c5b.jpg

The PLOD is a significantly better looking book yet sells for 42% of the blue label!

you guys aren't collectors, you're paper portfolio managers:preach::(

PLOD 6.0

blue 6.0

Edited by vheflin

1 minute ago, pickycollector said:

Some people do not like to own restored books.

Some people do not like to get a restored book that was advertised as unrestored.

Some people do not like to pay unrestored prices for restored books.

I am all of the above.

Could just be ink from the dot-matrix printer...

32 minutes ago, Boric Gold said:

we've all seen books with the date written on it in grease pencil and this has less of an impact on grade than a touch of ink on the spine. Shouldn't all ink or writing on the cover be subject to a downgrade?

No, writing on the cover shouldn't be treated the same as color touch.  One is an arrival date (or something) the other is an attempt to visually improve the appearance of the book. 

1 hour ago, pickycollector said:

Hello all,

I just received yesterday a book that I bought on eBay for my personal collection. It is an Atom #7 CGC 8.0 for which I paid $200. I thought it was a nice looking 8.0 that would be a great upgrade with better centering to my current copy and was very happy when I had it in hands. All my Atom books are raw and sitting in Mylars except for the Showcase issues and issues #1,2 so the #7 had to be raw too.

However, after cracking it, the spine did look suspicious to me and I used a magnifying loop to inspect it further. I was rather shocked when I did discover two tiny dots of black color touch-up on spine. I just cannot believe that CGC missed that. Obviously I do not want to keep this book for my collection now.

If it was a raw book, returning it for a refund would be simple. However, this was formerly a CGC unrestored blue label and no longer as is now that it is cracked. Obviously, I cannot hold responsible the seller for that restoration as it was not his fault (unless he was the original submitter) and that color touch-up would have been hard to detect with certainty through the plastic holder while there can be no doubt now when looking at it raw.

So what can I do? Contact the seller and ask if I can return it? Contact CGC? Eat the loss? 

In either case I will be very anxious and nervous the next time I want to crack a CGC blue label....

Your comments and advices will be very welcome

482116055_atom7.thumb.jpg.da46a5265f70497c0167c81b2616c34b.jpg

I had a similar situation happen to me a little while ago. I had a IH 181 8.0 old label comic sitting in my collection for a long time. Took it out one day and thought 'You know a press could really improve this book'. Took it to a friend who has kindly pressed many books for me (and does a great job) asked his opinion and he agreed. However, he didn't want to press it himself due to the value of the comic and recommended I send it in to CGC to get pressed and regraded. Luckily I did because a few weeks after I sent it in I got an email from CGC stating that when they cracked it out they discovered a good amount of color touch. 

They were super nice and professional about it, gave me a few options and within  a few weeks I had another beautiful Hulk 181 8.0 with NO RESTORATION this time. White pages to boot!

Not the exact same situation obviously since they cracked it out themselves so there was no question they had missed the restoration the first time. My advice would be is to call them and explain the situation. I imagine they would at least try to do something to help. What do you have to lose?

Good luck! :wishluck:

Personally, I'd be disappointed with this situation. I think it's possible CGC missed it. I also think it's possible the seller missed it. You get the gold star for finding it, but unfortunately, it makes your life more complicated. 

You do have a few options... 1) You could contact CGC about it to see if they'll take another look at it. Maybe they'll offer to remove the color touch for you, but that may reduce the grade and significantly alter the appearance of the book, plus likely lead to additional costs.  2) You could contact the seller and see if he'll give you a discount for the color touch. He may not be receptive, but it's worth a shot.  3) You could sell the book at a slightly reduced price, disclosing that the book "appears" to have a tiny amount of color touch on the cover. It's got a nice look to it---you may be able to get most of your money back.  4) Keep the book. It may not be the crown jewel of your collection, but it's still a nice looking copy. Ask yourself if it's worth the time and trouble to pursue any of the other options. If it isn't, this is the certainly the easiest solution...  :wishluck: 

Edited by The Lions Den

2 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

I was mostly teasing you about your name, but color touch doesn't bother me that much either. 

Carry on!

I always assumed it was a nose-picking reference.

3 hours ago, pickycollector said:

Hello all,

I just received yesterday a book that I bought on eBay for my personal collection. It is an Atom #7 CGC 8.0 for which I paid $200. I thought it was a nice looking 8.0 that would be a great upgrade with better centering to my current copy and was very happy when I had it in hands. All my Atom books are raw and sitting in Mylars except for the Showcase issues and issues #1,2 so the #7 had to be raw too.

However, after cracking it, the spine did look suspicious to me and I used a magnifying loop to inspect it further. I was rather shocked when I did discover two tiny dots of black color touch-up on spine. I just cannot believe that CGC missed that. Obviously I do not want to keep this book for my collection now.

If it was a raw book, returning it for a refund would be simple. However, this was formerly a CGC unrestored blue label and no longer as is now that it is cracked. Obviously, I cannot hold responsible the seller for that restoration as it was not his fault (unless he was the original submitter) and that color touch-up would have been hard to detect with certainty through the plastic holder while there can be no doubt now when looking at it raw.

So what can I do? Contact the seller and ask if I can return it? Contact CGC? Eat the loss? 

In either case I will be very anxious and nervous the next time I want to crack a CGC blue label....

Your comments and advices will be very welcome

482116055_atom7.thumb.jpg.da46a5265f70497c0167c81b2616c34b.jpg

Can you post a close up, hi-rez image of the color touch on the raw book (if now fully raw, having been removed from the well also), preferably one straight on like this, and one taken edge on?

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Tommy Boy. One of the best comedies that I consistently forget exists. Luckily, my dad bought a Blu-ray of it for me, for X-Mas one year.

I agree ... often overlooked when naming top 10 comedies, et al 

who’s YOUR favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa .... or ....

I've had it happen to me, alas more than once. And most recently on a 20K+ book.

I bought it slabbed, blue label over 10 years ago, cracked it and resubbed it this year. Got it back as C-1 restored : " tear seal to cover" WTH ?

So either they missed it the first time over a decade ago, or by sheer magic a tear seal grew and nurtured in the slab.

I was more shocked than unhappy...but contacted CCS for restoration removal and they had me send the slab back to them and told me it was possible.

Ended up paying around $700 to get it graded, then $500 for the removal of the magical tear seal and then another $700 to get it graded again.

Was lucky and happy to get it back in a blue label and without the grade having dropped...but it did cost me $1900 (plus shipping X4) , $1200 of which shouldn't really have happened.

Edited by chromium