• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cracking a CGC blue label and finding restoration

107 posts in this topic

Just me and I am not trying to say do it or not do it but I personally would put a bleb of silver sharpie over the CT thus in my mind anyway eliminating CT.  

2 minutes ago, pickycollector said:

Each of them are hiding a stress line that would show some white if the dots were not there.

There are times where color touch is done by someone with a more calculated approach and with a bit more expertise than the average person...  hm

7 minutes ago, kav said:

Just me and I am not trying to say do it or not do it but I personally would put a bleb of silver sharpie over the CT thus in my mind anyway eliminating CT.  

I would put a Stan Lee signature over the CT.

Just now, the blob said:

I would put a Stan Lee signature over the CT.

bingo.  I have several books with Stan Lee signing the staples.

Just now, the blob said:

That is the most valuable kind of Stan Lee signature. All my ravage 2099s are signed there.

usually Stan just slap dashed a sig-when you asked for staple sig he got out his loupe and went to work.

9 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

No, writing on the cover shouldn't be treated the same as color touch.  One is an arrival date (or something) the other is an attempt to visually improve the appearance of the book. 

...more specifically, an attempt to visually improve the appearance of the book without being noticed. 

I understand the difficulty, if not impossibility, of doing this, but the proper thing to do is to send the book back through the chain until it gets to the original submitter.

"But the seller shouldn't be responsible!" Ethically, morally, no, of course not, but the only way to address the issue properly is to have it go back through the chain until if gets to the person who submitted it.

Again: I recognize the near-impossibility of doing this in many cases, but that is the only just, equitable way to resolve it.

1 hour ago, pickycollector said:

I wish you were right but unfortunately it is color touch although hard to see clearly in pictures above indeed; if you could see the book in hands with a magnifying loop, you would agree.

I don't know how to get better pictures :sorry:

You don't need better pictures. These pictures are very conclusive. You're correct. Some of the spine stresses, minute fracturing, are color touched. Done very brilliantly I might add. Not strokes. Individual dots of color touch to minimize or eliminate bleed through altogether. Like a color touch "tattoo". You're good, spotting that!

Edited by James J Johnson

Just now, James J Johnson said:

You don't need better pictures. These pictures are very conclusive. You're correct. Some of the spice stresses, minute fracturing, are color touched. Done very brilliantly I might add. Not strokes. Individual dots of color touch to minimize or eliminate bleed through altogether. Like a color touch "tattoo". You're good, spotting that!

there are pens that dont bleed thru-you dont need to use a sharpie.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

there are pens that dont bleed thru-you dont need to use a sharpie.

yes and no. With fractures, the chance of bleed through or instances where the top side of the fracture, now darkened by color, causes visibility from the inside. It's all in the touch. Some are good, some are real good, some aren't.

Just now, James J Johnson said:

yes and no. With fractures, the chance of bleed through or instances where the top side of the fracture, now darkened by color, causes visibility from the inside. It's all in the touch. Some are good, some are real good, some aren't.

Speaking of Fracture, one of my fave movies:

6578-orig.jpg

5 minutes ago, pickycollector said:

What is now worrying me a LOT is that CGC missed that. How many other books like this one are in blue labels?

This is an extreme outlier, based on what I've seen. every system has  tolerances. An expected % below perfection. And I've looked at thousands of CGC graded books over the years. This is the extremely rare exception to the rule. From what I've seen in this hobby, CGC's resto check is the finest in the hobby, but even the best of the best aren't perfect.

Edited by James J Johnson

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

This is an extreme outlier, based on what I've seen. every system has  tolerances. An expected % below perfection. And I've looked at thousands of CGC graded books over the years. This is the extremely rare exception to the rule. From what I've seen in this hobby, CGC's resto check is the finest in the hobby, but even the best of the best aren't perfect. Ty Cobb, greatest hitter of all time (batting average wise) didn't get a hit 63% of the time!

Even a monkey falls out of the tree sometimes.

0783230362-02.jpg