• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Comics #1: 80 Years Ago The Marvel Universe Began
1 1

101 posts in this topic

A Goodman pre-Timely publication from April 1939. Just slightly before Marvel Comics #1. Although no characters from the book are shown, I believe there is a small interior ad for the up coming Marvel #1 (not pictured just mentioned). I don't have it handy, so I can't confirm for sure. Just going from memory. The title from Marvel Mystery #2-on is taken from this pulp.

pulpmarvelsciencestories.jpg

56 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

A Goodman pre-Timely publication from April 1939. Just slightly before Marvel Comics #1. Although no characters from the book are shown, I believe there is a small interior ad for the up coming Marvel #1 (not pictured just mentioned). I don't have it handy, so I can't confirm for sure. Just going from memory. The title from Marvel Mystery #2-on is taken from this pulp.

I’m sorry, I just ran to my copy and checked, but can’t find the ad . . . Must be in one of the others

CC19DF61-79F2-4D27-89DB-B9B8EDDB9CDD.jpeg

54 minutes ago, Pat Calhoun said:

v1#6 Dec 1939

img766.jpg

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

If you have any of the Ka-Zar pulps, they predate MC 1 having come out in 1936-1937.

1 hour ago, Pat Calhoun said:

Here's Feb 1939 v1#3 with a classic Williamson novel with classic Wesso cover.

img013.jpg

I know I gave Cory copies of the 3 Ka-Zar and Marvel Tales pulps for their covers in the omnibus. The Marvel Science Stories above is another favorite but I don’t remember if I had him  reproduce that cover. It’s a great cover if we missed it. (thumbsu

You really can’t have a Timely comics collection without including some of Martins earlier pulps. Besides Ka-Zar being included in the Marvel universe you can clearly see the Marvel style logo on earlier pulps including the Red Circle stamp. He carried over a lot of things from his pulps line including Marvel Comics #1 cover artist. 

Craft-tint duo-tone paper. 

Earlier reproductions looked like garbage but the Omnibus was probably as close as you could get without owning the originals. That was a challenge to get right. I liked the results but can understand why Everett abandoned it...

CC73675C-DAF6-4A5B-A2B4-56874B4B2C54.thumb.jpeg.db35a8c1e9b351725a7e2e3adb8f9f4e.jpeg

Edited by N e r V

3 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Are these pages scanned from a vintage 1939 MM #2?

Yes