• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Comics #1: 80 Years Ago The Marvel Universe Began
1 1

101 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Cool.  Can someone post the identical 3 pages from the touted Omnibus for comparison?

Original comics will usually win that battle. Different paper, gloss effects, etc.

I loved the Masterworks program under Cory. He fixed a lot of previously bad looking volumes and did top notch work.

But as in most things a repo is still a repo and not an original. The newsprint comics were printed on has a special look over the glossy type paper used on hardcovers.

Add to that the special “look” Everett used on those very early Sub-Mariner stories and nothing is going to look like the original. What Cory did was get rid of the previous “muddy” looking reprints of those stories and returned the cleaner looking colors/effects. Compare Marvel’s attempted reprints of said material prior to the 2009 Omni.

I own/owned originals and reprints with both occupying different uses/purposes.

Edited by N e r V

7 hours ago, N e r V said:

Original comics will usually win that battle. Different paper, gloss effects, etc.

I loved the Masterworks program under Cory. He fixed a lot of previously bad looking volumes and did top notch work.

But as in most things a repo is still a repo and not an original. The newsprint comics were printed on has a special look over the glossy type paper used on hardcovers.

Add to that the special “look” Everett used on those very early Sub-Mariner stories and nothing is going to look like the original. What Cory did was get rid of the previous “muddy” looking reprints of those stories and returned the cleaner looking colors/effects. Compare Marvel’s attempted reprints of said material prior to the 2009 Omni.

I own/owned originals and reprints with both occupying different uses/purposes.

I have all of the Marvel Mystery Masterworks volumes.  Volume one though I bought in soft cover.  Last night, I checked out the soft cover against the original pages posted on page 1 of this thread and my reaction was OK - the soft cover Masterworks reproduction is not too bad...  I agree that the original issue will usually prevail in terms of quality.

This omnibus is being touted as the gold standard of reproduction quality so I'm still hoping that someone can post the 3 Marvel Comics #1 pages so that a comparison can be made with the originals and the Masterworks.  

I never owned any of the softcovers so not sure if it’s the same. If you’re saying it’s ok it might be shot from the newer restoration work though. The original Masterworks from 2004 and the much earlier hardcover one shot from the 1990’s was awful. Very muddy. I want to say they used microfiche for a source material but can’t remember exactly.

27 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Somehow Cory talked Marvel into spending something like 30 or 35k around 2007 or 2008 for a October dated Marvel comics #1. Pretty amazing feat back then to get them to pay that much for a single issue...

Depending upon condition that's a pretty good investment.

30 minutes ago, Ameri said:

Here's a comparison. Real/Omnibus/Masterworks

Masterworks Marvel 1 vs Omnibus2.JPG

Masterworks Marvel 1 vs Omnibus.JPG

Thanks a million for the hard work Ameri!  Great job!

My soft cover "Golden Age Marvel Comics" Volume 1 (2011) has the same colouration as the Omnibus.  Did you take the Masterworks page from the hardcover? 

9 minutes ago, Primetime said:

nice pics. I don't think I have ever seen a real photo of a Marvel 1 on the newsstand...that might be lost to time...

Someone posted a long shot of one a few years ago. I’m not sure if it was here on the boards or somewhere else. Hard to see but there was enough to see it was MC #1 and a copy of Tec #31 could also be seen in the picture. Don’t remember what else.