• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics #58 Double Cover (racist content)
1 1

28 posts in this topic

I am looking to sell  Action Comics #58 for a client of mine.  I haven't been able to find much of a sales history for it. It has a racist cover "Superman says: YOU can slap a Jap...with War Bonds and Stamps!"

This book has two covers. The outer cover is complete (no tears, etc but has some staining and pencil mark). The inner cover is pristine. The spine is a bit rolled and the page color is to be expected for its age. It only has one center staple fully intact.

So, my questions for you old timer experts-

1. Should I have this professionally graded? Is a Misprint something that should be sealed up? Or perhaps it is worth more to a dealer that will match the second cover to another copy.

2. Am I allowed to sell this on Ebay? Since I have seen no sales history for this issue (only two listings without covers) I am worried it will be flagged because of the cover content.

3. If I should have it graded, can you recommend anyone in New York City? I will also take recommendations for mail-away services. All your responses are appreciated. I know this is a special book and will need guidance. 

Thank you so much for reading. If I have posted this in the wrong place, I apologize in advance.

Pictures below

Thanks!

Edited by MyersKennedyFineArt

On 8/30/2019 at 8:37 PM, MyersKennedyFineArt said:

I am looking to sell  Action Comics #58 for a client of mine.  I haven't been able to find much of a sales history for it. It has a racist cover "Superman says: YOU can slap a Jap...with War Bonds and Stamps!"

This book has two covers. The outer cover is complete (no tears, etc but has some staining and pencil mark). The inner cover is pristine. The spine is a bit rolled and the page color is to be expected for its age. It only has one center staple fully intact.

So, my questions for you old timer experts-

1. Should I have this professionally graded? Is a Misprint something that should be sealed up? Or perhaps it is worth more to a dealer that will match the second cover to another copy.

2. Am I allowed to sell this on Ebay? Since I have seen no sales history for this issue (only two listings without covers) I am worried it will be flagged because of the cover content.

3. If I should have it graded, can you recommend anyone in New York City? I will also take recommendations for mail-away services. All your responses are appreciated. I know this is a special book and will need guidance. 

Thank you so much for reading. If I have posted this in the wrong place, I apologize in advance.

Pictures below

Thanks!

1A. I can't really answer this for you. 1B. There is a market for double covers. 1C. No.
2. I'm not an expert, but, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to sell it on eBay.
3. There are only 3 "professional" grading companies. None of them are in New York.

On 8/30/2019 at 8:37 PM, MyersKennedyFineArt said:

Welcome to the boards! Yes, I think you should send the book to CGC (the host company of this forum) to be professionally graded. The second cover is a selling point and will indeed give your client a bump in price when the book is slabbed.

The book presents really well but it looks like it's having trouble lying flat in the last photo. Is there moisture damage and/or warping?

The book not laying flat/the stiffness, plus those stains on the back INNER cover near uncle sam are not a good sign at all.

Looks like that book might have some mold/fungus and that's a deal-breaker for a lot of people because of fear it can spread to other books and ruin a collection. It's going to take a beating for that in grading, even if the rest of the book is dynomite. I hope that isn't the case and its scorch marks or some other kind of stain.

FYI, the record sale for this book is $7K for a CGC 8.0 back in Sep 2017 but if I'm right, and that's mold/fungus, I'm guessing you'll be lucky to get 1/10th of that, even for a double cover.

Got any more pictures of those stains or anything like that, any discolorations, water tidelines, etc? It makes a huge difference on the grade.

33 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Give us some more pics.  

If you want to get your client the maximum profit then have this comic pressed and sent to CGC.

A 6.0 sold earlier this year for $2003, so if your inner cover is 6.0 it should do better than that since it's a double cover.

I agree.  Send it to Joey to be pressed.  He will hand deliver to CGC for grading, when he is finished.  I could see this getting a 6.5 inner cover after a press.  A double cover in that grade for this issue will bring a premium in an auction.  Ebay, Comiclink or Heritage.  

2 hours ago, comicdonna said:

I could see this getting a 6.5 inner cover after a press.  A double cover in that grade for this issue will bring a premium in an auction.  Ebay, Comiclink or Heritage.  

It's so hard to make a good guess at grade.  The OP says the inner cover is pristine, but one of the photos shows dark stains in the upper left corner of the back cover.  I have to admit that front cover looks pretty special, and those colors really pop.  I don't see ANY tearing around the staple which is rare for these 1 staple comics.  CGC will hammer that back cover stain, but with a press that inner cover might be 7.0-8.0.

If the outer cover is low grade...... I might consider taking that outer cover off.  That might be blasphemy for some of you, but if you slab it with that outer cover on you'll never see how gorgeous the inner cover is.  Is a "double cover" premium really worth it if the outer cover is low grade?

Edited by gadzukes

I’m a NJ guy myself, a hop skip and a jump from NYC - there are plenty of comic based shows throughout the year in the two state area which CGC will be present at where you can give them the comic in person . I prefer to minimize the mailing of my comics to be graded , pressed , et al .

On 9/5/2019 at 9:43 AM, Point Five said:

Welcome to the boards! Yes, I think you should send the book to CGC (the host company of this forum) to be professionally graded. The second cover is a selling point and will indeed give your client a bump in price when the book is slabbed.

The book presents really well but it looks like it's having trouble lying flat in the last photo. Is there moisture damage and/or warping?

First of all, thank you to everyone who has responded. You have all been very helpful. 

The last book I sold was an ungraded Spy Smasher #9. It went for $450+

My client is all about getting this sold quickly. He wants it done yesterday.

Is having the book pressed necessary when there are no major creases or folds? there is some spine roll, for sure.

Also, does anyone have access to the database that can tell me if there are other reported covers of the same issue? 

Thanks again!

Kerry Kennedy

15 hours ago, MyersKennedyFineArt said:

My client is all about getting this sold quickly. He wants it done yesterday....

Hearing that, it might be fine to just sell it raw on ebay from your company's account. I don't know that you would be leaving *that* much on the table vs putting in the time and cost to have it pressed and slabbed. With that said, I would suggest describing the book fully and showing more extensive pictures of both covers.

11 minutes ago, MyersKennedyFineArt said:

I'll start the bidding if you are serious, lol

Take plenty of pics and put it up in the gold, silver and bronze selling area.  Be sure to read all the rules first.