• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Time Attending NYCC. Any advice?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Hi Everybody,

This year I will be attending NYCC for the first time and I could not be more excited.  I am an old hat when it comes to SDCC but have never been to a con in NYC.  I am wondering if anyone has advice on how to have the best time at NYCC, any recommendations or things you wish you knew going in. Any advice or words of wisdom will be appreciated. Thank you and I hope to see you there.  

Stuart Ng on NYCC:

New York Comic-Con is a strange show, full of contradictions. A big show that the big national exhibitors avoid. A convention attracting over 100,000 seemingly only casual fans. 

NYCC’s Exhibit Hall is about half the size of SDCC. NYCC has 31 aisles compared to SDCC’s 56. NYCCalso has Geico, Medieval Times, energy drinks, beanbag chair sellers, and other similar county fair exhibitors that don’t make it onto the floor of other major conventions. 

NYCC is the largest regional comic convention in the country. 90% of the dealers are from the region and 90% of the attendees are from the region. It’s run by one of the largest professional convention companies in the world and nationally advertised, but it’s only by virtue of the region being the most densely populated area in the country, that this local show is the second largest comic con in the U.S. 

A friend who exhibits at both SDCC and NYCC explains it this way: 90% of his sales at SDCC are to customers from outside the area. 90% of his sales at NYCC are to locals. He easily sells out 300 S&N books at SDCC but doesn’t sell 200 S&N books at NYCC. 

Another friend who exhibits at both SDCC and NYCC told me this: most of his sales at SDCC are on Wednesday preview night when his customers descend on his booth and he gets to coast the rest of the weekend. At NYCC, his sales come in bits and pieces. 

People travel to attend SDCC. NYCC is a show that draws the locals. 

So you may be asking: why do I go to NYCC every year? 

1) It's New York and there's a lot of other business to conduct there. 

2) NYCC has a huge Artists Alley. It has an entire hall turned over to Artists Alley and more slots for artists than SDCC or Emerald City. Over 120 artists table in NYCC's Artists Alley. It also has more European artists than any other convention in the U.S.: Olivier Vatine, Bengal, Paul Renaud, Olivier Coipel, Simone Bianchi, Mahmud Asrar, Adi Granov, Tula Lotay, and many others. 

2 hours ago, Taylor G said:

People travel to attend SDCC. NYCC is a show that draws the locals. 

I don't go to either. SDCC by all recent accounts remains more hassle than fun, except for meeting up with friends that can be otherwise spread all around the world. NYCC...NYC is more hassle than C is worth.

Here are a few basic thoughts I would give for NYCC.

1. Make a plan. Write down a list of who you want to see, and their table number. Do not expect to see everything without a plan.

2. If you see a piece of art you love, don't hesitate. Odds are it will not be there when/if you return.

3. Wear comfortable shoes. The artist alley floor is brutal. If you need a place to sit and rest, bring a small folding stool. 

4. Carry an extra battery for your phone so you aren't one of those sitting on the floor next to an outlet.

5. Pack your lunch. Its cheaper, and saves time.

6. Pack light. Unless you are trying to get a ton of books signed, moving around with a lot of stuff gets exhausting fast.

Another thing I'd note is that NYCC's convention center is generally further away from other venues hosting convention-related events than San Diego's. (The San Diego Convention Center is in the city's downtown; New York's Javits Center is in nigh-edge-of-nowhere-Western-Manhattan.) If you plan to take in an event outside Javits itself, factor in a a realistic amount of time to get to and fro.

Edited by ATKokmen
Grammar fix

1 hour ago, ATKokmen said:

New York's Javits Center is in nigh-edge-of-nowhere-Western-Manhattan

However, it is MUCH easier to access now that the extension to the 7 train has been completed. You can catch the subway a block away from Javits now. No more slogging over to Times Square with all of your stuff.

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Do any (or many) of the artists take credit cards, or are we still in the age of packing cash?

cash is always king it makes nice padding in the underwear :smile:

On 8/31/2019 at 7:04 PM, AnkurJ said:

5. Pack your lunch. Its cheaper, and saves time.

Ha! I’m the same - will be extremely frugal about not spending $10 on overpriced food, and I’ll likely take an Uber pool to the con - but then I’ll drop $$$$ on funny book drawings! 🤪

1 hour ago, dichotomy said:

Ha! I’m the same - will be extremely frugal about not spending $10 on overpriced food, and I’ll likely take an Uber pool to the con - but then I’ll drop $$$$ on funny book drawings! 🤪

Not only due to the cost but getting to the food places and waiting in the lines will easily take an hour if not more. Time flies at these cons so I’d rather spend it on the show than hunting down a $20 sandwich.