• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Didga ever think?
3 3

100 posts in this topic

This thread is mostly geared to us old geezers who have been around since the dinosaurs. But I suspect it will even pertain to some of you younger folks as well...

Didga ever think that a comic book would ever sell for a million dollars much the less multiples of that?

No. But they say it's only money and you can't take it with you :)

1) Didga ever think someone would ask $12,500 for a Ford Pinto??
2) Didga ever think cover price on a comic book would be $3-$4?
3) Didga ever think a chicken sandwich combo meal at a fast food place would cost $7.50 (before tax)??
4) Didga ever think someone would spend $110k+ on a Star Wars action figure?
5) Didga ever think someone would spend $100k+ on a set of Pokemon cards?

If I would have thought about any of this pertaining to anything from my childhood I would not have done this...

Back in 62/63 when I was 7/8 I had a friend down the street and her Dad worked for Topps in Philadelphia.

Each time the new series of baseball cards ( 7 series per season if IRRC) came out he would bring home multiple uncut sheets of the new cards and she would give each of us an uncut sheet, what did we proceed to do... (shrug)

Cut the cards out and place them in the spokes of our bicycles with cloth pins so they made that neat sound when you rode. :facepalm:   :eek:  doh!  :whatthe:

Did you ever think you could see, buy and pay for comics with just a few taps on a keyboard - not more looking through ads in fanzines to order and no more snail mail ordering, no more sending cash/checks/money orders, and no more stamp licking (and not even sure what or if you would get what you ordered)?

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Didga ever think people would spend the price of a new nice car on a comic book encased in a plastic holder that you could only see two sides of?

In 2008 when my uncle came home from stateside and told me about this I was full WTF!?The price not too shocking.That someone would want a comic they couldn't see the inside of,mind boggling.Slabs were new to me then,I'd been out of comics aside from the occasional newstand Mad or Cracked buy since 93

Something I've never really thought about.  At least in the main comicbook-obsessed countries we have a degree of stability and don't experience the kind of extreme hyperinflation seen in Weimar Germany and Zimbabwe, and consequently need to use wheelbarrows filled with banknotes - unless you're purchasing a Tomb of Dracula key in ultra high grade, so it would seem this week.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Didja ever think the coming doom of an ice age because humans are bad would become the coming doom of a hot planet because humans are bad?

2 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

If I would have thought about any of this pertaining to anything from my childhood I would not have done this...

Back in 62/63 when I was 7/8 I had a friend down the street and her Dad worked for Topps in Philadelphia.

Each time the new series of baseball cards ( 7 series per season if IRRC) came out he would bring home multiple uncut sheets of the new cards and she would give each of us an uncut sheet, what did we proceed to do... (shrug)

Cut the cards out and place them in the spokes of our bicycles with cloth pins so they made that neat sound when you rode. :facepalm:   :eek:  doh!  :whatthe:

My dad, who turns 71 in October, loves to tell me this story.  He vividly remembers putting baseball cards in his bicycle spokes.  He also says that he remembers having a big stack of ‘52 Topps Mantle rookies.  Told me he used to trade away star cards all the time to get the lesser knowns he needed to complete his sets.

Did you ever, sorry, didga ever think that Mandrake, Popeye, Flash, Beetle, Blondie and The Phantom would die a death in John Morlar's Pence Palace of Doom?