• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Didga ever think?
3 3

100 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

John Morlar's Pence Palace of Doom

Never heard of that place.  

An early London comic shop?

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

Never heard of that place.  

An early London comic shop?

Just outside Deptford Ken. No one ever goes there. 

It's weird. When I first started buying back issues as a kid, I never thought about if they would go up in value. They were just cool & their value was what the price stated (usually written in pencil in the upper left corner of the back cover). I never thought about the future - isn't that normal for a kid. One thing I do remember is seeing a FF 4 on the counter of the LCS (he always kept the good comics in a box on the counter) with a asking price of $12 and thinking "Yea right. Who in their right mind is gunna pay that."

Then I grew older & started to think about money and other adult stuff - like girls.

40 minutes ago, mysterymachine said:

Did you ever think one comic book could have over 30 covers and some collectors would be :insane: enough to actually buy them all?

:eek:

59de38fa4e5d5_666x.thumb.jpg.f12bb7a93a4c04fbad9804ab1cca4c47.jpg.0cd0528640cc7a6f3fa9c4b35877f7f5.jpg

19 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

My dad, who turns 71 in October, loves to tell me this story.  He vividly remembers putting baseball cards in his bicycle spokes.  He also says that he remembers having a big stack of ‘52 Topps Mantle rookies.  Told me he used to trade away star cards all the time to get the lesser knowns he needed to complete his sets.

That is what it was all about, just like comic collecting, completing the entire series and checking off every card on the checklist.

I remember back in 64/65 (??) I bought pack after pack after pack of baseball cards trying to get the elusive Richie Allen I needed, do not remember if I ever got it, I am pretty sure I sacrificed comic book purchases during the hunt, only got .25 cent allowance per week (and additional money if I begged and pleaded enough, of course I had to do chores to earn it), that equaled 5 packs of baseball cards or two comic books or a combination of the two and of course needed a Slurpee from 7-11 where I bought the cards.

AHH, NOSTALGIA...  :cloud9:

OH, The Memories...:luhv:

download.jpg

download (1).jpg

64-443Fr.jpg

64-443Bk.jpg

On 8/31/2019 at 11:48 AM, Robot Man said:

Didga ever think people would spend the price of a new nice car on a comic book encased in a plastic holder that you could only see two sides of?

Yes... when I did just that.  lol 

I had a choice in 2012 between buying a new car or buying a new comic.  I figured that my then 2001 Mustang mostly sits in the driveway anyway since I take the train.  So, I bought the comic... and almost threw up. 

I kept the 2001 Mustang until 2018... and that was only because the air conditioning went and it was May.  The Jeep was ordered within a couple of weeks after contacting an ex who had connections to a local Jeep dealership. First time I ever said to someone, "you owe me."  She made a phone call and went with me to the dealership and I got a very good deal.  Walked away with a Jeep that was cheaper to own than it would have been to lease AND I still have that comic. 

Edited by Buzzetta

20 hours ago, kav said:

Didja ever think people would pay for water that is less pure than their tap water?

Well, that is not universally true.  Just ask the people of certain areas of Michigan... 

and... seriously... what's in the Long Island drinking water?

Edited by Buzzetta

Did I ever think I'd be able to sell just a portion of my collection and buy my retirement dream? Yes, I did.  It was while I was reading Defenders 10 that I realized some comics should sell for more than others and my lifelong dream of making money with comics began .  I remember thinking people might someday pay $20 for this book.  My dream became a plan, and after a few detours, is finally happening.

23 hours ago, Robot Man said:

For you old hippie CA residents...

Didga ever think you could walk into a store and buy any kind of weed neatly displayed under glass, LEGALY?

While I've been a CA resident for 30 years, I grew up in Ohio, which effectively decriminalized possession of under four ounces back in the early 70s (it was a ticketable offense), and it often wasn't even confiscated. I was young enough and naive enough about how things work, that as a teenager in the 70s I actually expected it to be completely legal within a decade. 

On 8/31/2019 at 2:47 PM, Robot Man said:

Didga ever think you could drive into a drive up store on just about any corner and pay $5. For a cup of coffee?

And that is why the new generation can't buy a home or even get married :cry:

As a kid did you ever think your heroes from the 60's would make the big screen and be so popular :smile:

And were you lucky that mom didn't throw your comics away or give them away. :insane: