• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to track comic collection?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, wombat said:

Best way to track comic collection?

Personally, I look for scat.  Oh and drag marks, through the veldt.

44 minutes ago, Park said:

https://www.collectorz.com/comic/clz-comics

Couldn't be happier. There may be free ones out there but I love this thing.

One of the issues I have found with Collectorz is that the "checklist" is incomplete. Ideally I'd like to not have to do additional research to find out if there are other variants that they're not aware of

7 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

One of the issues I have found with Collectorz is that the "checklist" is incomplete. Ideally I'd like to not have to do additional research to find out if there are other variants that they're not aware of

Yeah, I am not big on variants so I couldn't speak to that. It does have a decent amount which is helpful for someone like me though.

A spreadsheet is a good idea.  I use a word processing document.  I have a big one that includes all of the comics that I have, but I have a smaller want list with just the issues that I am looking for.  I just cross out issues as I buy them so that I don't buy them again. 

One nice thing about the document is that I can make it into three columns and fit a lot of data on a sheet and not have it so small that I can't read it.  When I first started doing this about 20 years ago, my list was 5 pages front and back.  Now it is down to 2 pages front and back.

28 minutes ago, wombat said:

I think this may be it. Thanks. 

I use it, and it works for me. I can print it, view it, edit it and not have to worry about where the "last" edits I made were.

That said, I am old. I have no real connection with what is happening at the leading edge of things and what that might bring in the way of collectible apps and whatnot :)

1 hour ago, 707comics said:

I use it, and it works for me. I can print it, view it, edit it and not have to worry about where the "last" edits I made were.

That said, I am old. I have no real connection with what is happening at the leading edge of things and what that might bring in the way of collectible apps and whatnot :)

If a collectible app works for somebody and they like it, I think that's cool.  I just think it's way too much work.  I used index cards when I first started collecting in the 1970s.  My brother and I started using a word processor to keep track of the collection in 1982 and that's what I've used ever since with some refinement along the way.  If it ain't broke...

I can't remember when I made my first want list, but it was probably sometime in the late 80s/early 90s.  I started the current want list in the late 90s and just update it a couple of times each year as I cross things off.  Here's a sample page from the DC section, though it probably won't be of much interest to most.

Want-Replace sample.jpg