• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to get grades/values on multiple books?

13 posts in this topic

First time poster here... been cleaning out boxes that haven’t seen the light of day in years and stumbled across a stack of bagged and boarded books.  No Superman #1 or anything,  but I’m curious as to the value of them.  I took a bunch of pictures based on what I was seeing over in “can you spare a grade” ( front, back, all 4 corners on both sides), but I didn’t want to post 100 pictures in a single post.  A separate post for each?  I’m pretty sure only a couple of them are worth more than a couple of bucks, so it seems a waste to flood the board... 

Second question - after figuring out grades, where’s a good place to figure out value and whether they’re worth slabbing?  

Front covers of the stuff I’ve got (in no particular order since I don’t know what I’m doing,,, xD).  There’s also an Iron Fist / Wolverine #2 hiding behind #1 in there.

DE151D4E-552D-4F8B-8312-DC3A0096D299.thumb.jpeg.4ca4a7fa12a65115940d6be2a43b87fb.jpeg

5 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Use eBay sold listings to see if any of these in high grade sell for anything over $100.

Yup... I've been doing that...

But that doesn't help with how to post multiples for critiques...  Even for ones that don't tip the $100 mark (I'm assuming that's your guideline for slabbing), if/when I move these, I'd like to have an idea of grade so I can value it properly.

4 minutes ago, Thompson2 said:

Yup... I've been doing that...

But that doesn't help with how to post multiples for critiques...  Even for ones that don't tip the $100 mark (I'm assuming that's your guideline for slabbing), if/when I move these, I'd like to have an idea of grade so I can value it properly.

I saw that you mentioned viewing the PGM sub-forum, but was confused by your content.

PGM rules are (A) 1 book per topic and (B) 3 topics per day. It sounds like you took a lot of pictures, which is great, and will get you more (and more accurate) assessments.

There’s a price guide called Overstreet for comics.  There’s a grading guidelines inside.  You can use that to get an idea of how to grade.  

You can look on the Cgc website to see how much it is to get comics graded cost and time wise.  You can use a pay service called gpa to look up sold prices for Cgc graded comics, or eBay sold prices to get an idea.  For other specifics about the actual grading process, you can contact Cgc directly 

ultimately there’s no easy FREE way to get someone else to do all this stuff for you AND get the fastest, best, most accurate results.  

Think about the variables involved with your equations, and go about solving them individually.  

But eBay is a good place to start to look up sold values of raw and graded comics

Edited by revat

Hi @Thompson2

What you have in that picture is general 50 cent to a dollar. ROM #1 is the only one with slight value, as it can sell for $8-15 depending on how nice it is. The rest, most people will pass over because they are from the 90's, heavily printed and readily available. If you have other stuff, message me pictures. I will be honest with you and don't mind looking through what you have. 

11 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

PGM rules are (A) 1 book per topic and (B) 3 topics per day. It sounds like you took a lot of pictures, which is great, and will get you more (and more accurate) assessments.

Ah!  That's the bit I was missing... Thanks!

11 hours ago, revat said:

There’s a price guide called Overstreet for comics.  There’s a grading guidelines inside.  You can use that to get an idea of how to grade.  

You can look on the Cgc website to see how much it is to get comics graded cost and time wise.  You can use a pay service called gpa to look up sold prices for Cgc graded comics, or eBay sold prices to get an idea.  For other specifics about the actual grading process, you can contact Cgc directly 

Cool.  Based on the lack of value in what I've got, it probably makes more sense for me to do what I can with this site and eBay.  I'll hit a used book store to see if I can score a cheap copy of Oversteet.  Slabbing probably makes no sense at all for this set.  

11 hours ago, revat said:

ultimately there’s no easy FREE way to get someone else to do all this stuff for you AND get the fastest, best, most accurate results.  

Think about the variables involved with your equations, and go about solving them individually.  

Very aware of the difficulties in getting accurate assessments online.  There's a ton that doesn't translate really well in pictures.  Getting a ballpark on condition helps, as does "If this was a 9.x instead of a 9.y, it'd go from $xx.xx to $yyy.yy"  It seems that there's not a lot of upward movement likely on any of these, so it doesn't really matter in this case.   

Thanks for the inputs.

5 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Hi @Thompson2

What you have in that picture is general 50 cent to a dollar. ROM #1 is the only one with slight value, as it can sell for $8-15 depending on how nice it is. The rest, most people will pass over because they are from the 90's, heavily printed and readily available. If you have other stuff, message me pictures. I will be honest with you and don't mind looking through what you have. 

Thanks.  So even if any of there were high 9's, they still wouldn't pull in more than a buck or two each?   As far as I can tell, most have lived their lives in sleeves. 

I'll post the ROM up in GTG.  Seems solid to me, except for some "scuffs" along the spine on the back.... 

This is the extent of what I've got... don't even remember exactly when I picked them up, but I know I didn't pay much, if anything for them.

Thanks again, and I'll get the ROM up late tomorrow (if it all works out)... 

10 hours ago, Thompson2 said:

Thanks.  So even if any of there were high 9's, they still wouldn't pull in more than a buck or two each?   

Unfortunately not. To get them graded would cost more than the book is worth. These issues came out during a time in comics (early 90's) when there was a record sale of an Action Comics #1 from the 30's. It caused people to take notice and say "hey, comics are worth something". With that in mind, you had EVERYONE buying any issue 1 that came out at that time, and buying comics in general. They were bagged and protected and as I said, hundereds of thousands (and in some cases millions) of copies were printed. They just do not have value.

Some issues and key books do, but you do not really have any there, other than the ROM which is the most interesting book. The rest are buck or two if lucky and even if you spent the $30-40 to get one graded and it came back the best possible grade (CGC 9.8), you are likely only to get $40-50 out of it. The books pictured are also unlikely to grow in value as they all feature characters whose origins are older than those comics. You want value in comics, you have to start in the 60's and 70's. Even there, there is a lot of stuff that is not valuable but your odds of having desirable books increases dramatically. And that is a major part. You want comics people want, thus will pay for. Once you have a desirable book, THEN condition matters.

Condition does not make a book valuable...the content and book itself determines that. Then, condition determines a range of price that is acceptable to pay. Hope this helps. 

Here is a Warlock #1 CGC graded 9.8 that sold for under $29...it would cost that or more to grade

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Warlock-Chronicles-1-1993-Prism-Foil-Cover-CGC-9-8-Z358/392310987629?hash=item5b578e9b6d:g:V8YAAOSwRhZcxyeI

A Sleepwalker #1 CGC 9.4 sold for $40 (again cost to grade would be this). Raw you could get something for this book. Some people have paid $15 for this issue but then again a number of people have paid $3-4 on eBay for an ungraded copy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-MARVEL-SLEEPWALKER-1-1ST-APPEARANCE-SLEEPWALKER-CGC-9-4-WHITE-PAGES/223618924177?hash=item3410b9fe91:g:-g4AAOSwVLVdMhoq

Cage #1 CGC 9.4 sold for $20.50...again, cost to grade would exceed this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cage-1-CGC-9-4-Marvel-Comics-1992-LUKE-CAGE-Power-Man/123880165733?hash=item1cd7d55165:g:cjEAAOSwkXdarmm~

4 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Unfortunately not. To get them graded would cost more than the book is worth. <snip> They just do not have value.

Some issues and key books do, but you do not really have any there

That was what I figured, but I wanted to make sure.  Sometimes with collectibles, a small change (at the extreme upper end of condition) makes a huge difference in value.  I just wanted to make sure I didn't toss / rehome something that had more than typical value. 

4 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Once you have a desirable book, THEN condition matters.

Condition does not make a book valuable...the content and book itself determines that. Then, condition determines a range of price that is acceptable to pay. Hope this helps. 

Totally understand that.  And I knew going in these weren't crazy valuable, but it seemed wise to at least partially educate myself before disposing of them in an inappropriate way... 

And yes, that does help.  As did the eBay links.  I had actually seen those, but it's good to know I'm looking a the right stuff.  The prices for completed items are pretty all over the place (as evidenced by the $75 / $99 / $229 eBay copies of the CGC9.8 Sleepwalker... :S) which makes it a bit challenging for a noob...

Wanna buy  a near mint Son of Juggernaut?  :roflmao:

Edited by Thompson2
snark