• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Comics #1000 —- 33 covers and counting?

53 posts in this topic

On 10/13/2019 at 3:15 PM, Joosh said:

I own precisely 0 of these. As stated previously, this is a baseless marketing ploy. I’m just not interested. Action and Detective Comics actually made 999 preceding issues; worthy of a special issue #1000.

It's a little ridiculous honestly, and 33 covers is over the top.

At least DC took the time and effort to release 999 issues of a title before using the mighty "1000th issue"

Edited by Commissioner Gordon

they should have made 1000 covers, but only 1000 of each cover, and then randomized the distribution.

On 9/16/2019 at 11:44 PM, MagnusX said:

Can someone explain to me how marvel come with this magic number # 1,000?

Where are the previous 999?

obviously is market ploy, but there had to be an explanation somewhere...

O.o

Did you get an answer?

Marvel Comics #1 came out in 1939.  Since DC has been celebrating Detective Comics #1000 and Action Comics #1000 and since those comics started in 1937 and 1938, Marvel wanted to get in on the game by imagining Marvel Comics #1000 starting with 1939.  They weren't keeping pace, though, since Marvel Comics became Marvel Mystery Comics which became Marvel Tales (in 1949) and made it up to #159 in 1957.  Detective and Action Comics were in the #230s and #240s by that time, but if you count how many months there have been since 1939, you get around 960-970... so it's not completely off the "one issue a month" pace to celebrate #1000 (even if they skipped 60+ years).

Edited by valiantman