• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Character Design Layouts?
2 2

22 posts in this topic

First off I apologize ahead of time for now even knowing the proper name of these type of pages. I believe it is Chatacter Design but I am not entirely sure.

I have one of these types of works from David Finch and I wondered about the collectability of them. Are they sought after? I really just think they are interesting but was curious how difficult they are to collect.

20190831_212511.jpg

8 minutes ago, MagnusX said:

I have a set
of the Fantastic Four Family
done by Bryan Hitch
for his run in the series around 2008...

a1.jpg.9b69605c8b3ebd09f5a5232c6256f26e.jpg

a2.jpg.00bc5073e617e9e5c4e7e8e6370b696f.jpg

a3.jpg.419650bfe48876b448954e69134db520.jpg

a4.jpg.a10e8b3ae712c91ae82f1a6badb3d603.jpg

Nice. He does very lifelike facial expressions doesn't he, Hitch

8 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

That looks really familiar. I think it's by Jose Luis Garcia. I'm thinking merchandising art. I'm probably going to make a fool of myself here, but didn't @Gal Schwartz own them once?

yeah,  I used to own it. Originally, it was listed as a Garcia Lopez piece but it looked too Gammil-sh to me so I asked Kerry and he confirmed to have provided the layouts/pencils for this Doomsday and said there should be another *sister* page with different poses he also did around that time. both for style guide purposes.

Thank you to everyone for the help in answering the question. I did know about the Marvel Handbook and Who's Who's but I didn't really connect those to Character layouts. Now that I have some more of the terminology I will be start searching as I really do like these.

17 hours ago, Gal Schwartz said:

yeah,  I used to own it. Originally, it was listed as a Garcia Lopez piece but it looked too Gammil-sh to me so I asked Kerry and he confirmed to have provided the layouts/pencils for this Doomsday and said there should be another *sister* page with different poses he also did around that time. both for style guide purposes.

So you knew they weren't from Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez when you traded them to me? I inquired with Jose Luis when I got them from you and he said they weren't his. I will tell you I am not liking this Gal.

49 minutes ago, timguerrero said:

So you knew they weren't from Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez when you traded them to me? I inquired with Jose Luis when I got them from you and he said they weren't his. I will tell you I am not liking this Gal.

:popcorn:

8 hours ago, timguerrero said:

Tim,

I NEVER regarded them as solo Jose Garcia Lopez pieces. I knew he and Kerry Gammill had collaborated on several  style guide pieces
(like Batman lineup, some Superman pieces and Eradicator piece).

I assumed that Garcia Lopez might have collaborated with Kerry on this, as I bought it from Garcia Lopez's share. I recognized some element
of Gammil's style and saw Kerry Gammill's involvement as an extra bonus.  As far as I can recall I listed his name as primary  artist when the
pieces were on my own CAF gallery.. If any past interaction suggests otherwise,
please feel free to contact me and show me where I might be in error. I don't think I miscredited anyone.

Wishing to see if I did anything wrong, I looked back and luckily I found the original e-mail in which I've provided you with the information I've had:

"As for the Doomsday, I only have partial information;
it was created as a style guide, probably around 1993 or 1994.
Either the layouts or the pencils were crafted by Kerry Gammill, as he confirmed of drawing it.

The board info attributes the pencils to Jose Garcia-Lopez, so there can be two scenarios -
he may have finished Gammill's roughs or the DC production team had mistakenly listed it
as a Garcia-Lopez art, as he drew most of the style guides.

Both Gammill and Garcia-Lopez have provided art for various DC style guides over the years,
and even worked together on the same pieces here and there, also both got inked by inker Jeff Albrecht
who was listed as the inker on the piece. In any case, the inks were done directly over original pencils.

As for the publication, a lot of style guides end up being used on products, but I can't recall seeing
this one printed on a specific item. Usually, products use here images and villains are more scarce.

The piece was bought a while back from Spencer Beck of THEARTISTSCHOICE.COM, but he couldn't
provide any further info, which is why I contacted Kerry Gammill himself."

I hope this information was helpful.

Thanks,
Gal "

That's always was the info I've had and of which I've provided, no apologies needed... :foryou:

Edited by Gal Schwartz

4 hours ago, Gal Schwartz said:

Tim,

I NEVER regarded them as solo Jose Garcia Lopez pieces. I knew he and Kerry Gammill had collaborated on several  style guide pieces
(like Batman lineup, some Superman pieces and Eradicator piece).

I assumed that Garcia Lopez might have collaborated with Kerry on this, as I bought it from Garcia Lopez's share. I recognized some element
of Gammil's style and saw Kerry Gammill's involvement as an extra bonus.  As far as I can recall I listed his name as primary  artist when the
pieces were on my own CAF gallery.. If any past interaction suggests otherwise,
please feel free to contact me and show me where I might be in error. I don't think I miscredited anyone.

Wishing to see if I did anything wrong, I looked back and luckily I found the original e-mail in which I've provided you with the information I've had:

"As for the Doomsday, I only have partial information;
it was created as a style guide, probably around 1993 or 1994.
Either the layouts or the pencils were crafted by Kerry Gammill, as he confirmed of drawing it.

The board info attributes the pencils to Jose Garcia-Lopez, so there can be two scenarios -
he may have finished Gammill's roughs or the DC production team had mistakenly listed it
as a Garcia-Lopez art, as he drew most of the style guides.

Both Gammill and Garcia-Lopez have provided art for various DC style guides over the years,
and even worked together on the same pieces here and there, also both got inked by inker Jeff Albrecht
who was listed as the inker on the piece. In any case, the inks were done directly over original pencils.

As for the publication, a lot of style guides end up being used on products, but I can't recall seeing
this one printed on a specific item. Usually, products use here images and villains are more scarce.

The piece was bought a while back from Spencer Beck of THEARTISTSCHOICE.COM, but he couldn't
provide any further info, which is why I contacted Kerry Gammill himself."

I hope this information was helpful.

Thanks,
Gal "

That's always was the info I've had and of which I've provided, no apologies needed... :foryou:

I checked my records Gal and you are right about stating that part earlier maybe it was why I inquired with Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez about the piece. Deeply sorry for the confusion.