• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What comes after this 1st appearance boom?
1 1

77 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

You're right Paul,but there's plenty of folks that want to dry said sad tears with barrel scrappling dollar profits.

It could use some amitriptyline in high doses.I'm scared to go in the quillcrypt these days as I'm certain i'll damage something valuable lol I mean,Eternals?I stockpiled every dollar bin copy I found for years,thought I was the only one that liked that series!

Eternals, she hulk 1, special marvel edition 15. These are three that felt like the market jumping the shark to me.

They're ugly, abundant, and negligible in the history of comics. But people are nuts for them. 

How about the former beat down PLOD's for key and classic cover HTF books, especially if they could potentially be upgraded to Conserved status upon a resubmit?  hm

Especially when you take into the fact that entry level or uber low grade copies of key GA and HTF classic cover books are now fetching ridiculous mutiples of bottom of guide valuations.  Starting to remind me of the ridiculous multiples that census topping or uber HG copies of seemingly otherwise more recent common books tend to fetch in today's CGC-centric marketplace.  :flipbait:

I guess it's a good thing that Overstreet doesn'r report on prices for books below CGC 2.0 Good condition levels, similar to how he also doesn't report on prices for books above CGC 9.2 NM- condition levels, because prices at both ends of the condition spectrum can be so volatile at times depending upon the particular book in question.  (thumbsu

10 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Eternals, she hulk 1, special marvel edition 15. These are three that felt like the market jumping the shark to me.

They're ugly, abundant, and negligible in the history of comics. But people are nuts for them. 

I'd like to get one of those She-Hulk in the nude issues.No dollar finds  yet.

10 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Buscema, Kirby and Starlin? Sign me up every time.

I'd think you have to guess why the 1st appearance market would stop.  Over saturation?  Speculators move on?  I'd think the next wave of hot books would have to be incredible modern books that sweep the community off their feet.  Modern book price tag may make this difficult and the reliance on variants has to be a factor but if the good oldies fall out of favor then it stands to reason the new book market would see a surge in prices.

On 9/2/2019 at 10:54 AM, DavidTheDavid said:

Kind of like Incredible Hulk 271, Marvel Preview 4 & 7, and Jungle Action 5?

They should make a true to book Old Man Logan annual into a movie.That book gets not nearly enough love.Someone mentioned a jaw dropping scene in particular the other day-make some great horror fantasy!If you haven't read it,do it!

(I only have one copy lol I'm not money hyping)

On 9/2/2019 at 9:20 AM, Catwomancomics said:

Last / final issue 

In the longer run / series of a title.

Although I don’t have any numbers, IMO I would think the print runs might be lower than most issues in the run / series.

Not counting all the rebooting carp that happens on a regular basis now.

I'm with you on this. I love last issues of long running series that end in the 1980's...Conan, Ghost Rider, House of Mystery, Flash etc!

On September 1, 2019 at 12:35 PM, Buzzetta said:

First appearances was the natural end... 

I originally started with baseball cards and rookies were always more desirable than the 7th year card.

That led to how I started collecting comics.  First Daredevil red costume was always more desirable than the first time frank Miller was on the book. 

With comics it is about the characters... the characters will be up there with their creators but will always supersede later artists that work on them.  

The problem with the first appearances hyper focus is that it puts too fine a point on it being about the characters. Characters equals content, not just first appearances. Of course, several factors contribute to the diminishment of great story arcs rising somewhat above run books -- multiple reprintings of just about everything, plus digital availability; more collectors who are not necessarily also readers, etc.

I recall buying back issues in the 80's (I was in high school) and certain desirable storylines cost more than surrounding run books, by a small premium -- Kree-Skrull War, Avengers-Defenders War, Avengers annual 7/MTIO annual 2 (way before Thanos went Hollywood) etc. But when you can read the content-driven keys more affordably, the collecting $$ moves into other key factors. Eventually we're left with the sports card simplicity of first appearances as our only key factor. While it may be the biggest key factor, when it is the only one it can narrow the collector's historical perspective.

I guess I'm thinking about the importance of content in building this medium because I Just finished reading "It Rhymes With Lust." Everyone knows it's 128 pages of the great Matt Baker, and yes it's beautiful. But when you read it you realize that book is all about Arnold Drake and Leslie Waller -- packed with universal human themes and dilemmas, as you would expect from a work of serious literature. Yes, it's a potboiler, but the themes are there, laid out in purple prose. Baker, whose work I love, was certainly up to the task of bringing it to life. But the book is so much more than simply a lot of great Baker art in one place.

On September 1, 2019 at 1:52 PM, FoggyNelson said:

I wonder what Elvis first comic book appearance is🤔🤔🤔

this is a good thread‼️👍🥰

First Elvis reference is a 1957 Archie one-shot, "Jughead's Folly." Not a lot of them around, and most of them are available on eBay. Pretty cheap for a tough, neat book.

17 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

I love Starlin, but that's far from his best work. That's especially true for Eternals IMHO. 

I also thought the Eternals was pretty thin gruel from Kirby, and She-Hulk was pretty dopey, but I think SME 15 is one of the best-written #1's of the Bronze Age. 

Just now, Readcomix said:

I also thought the Eternals was pretty thin gruel from Kirby, and She-Hulk was pretty dopey, but I think SME 15 is one of the best-written #1's of the Bronze Age. 

what do you think of Demon?

2 minutes ago, kav said:

what do you think of Demon?

I just read that run not too long ago, then sold it to a boardie. I love the concept and the cast of characters (Glenda, Harry, Randu Singh, Klarion), but Kirby seemed to run out of enthusiasm partway thru. Etrigan/Jason Blood just kept stumbling into supernatural opponents, but he never really explored their duality or found a driving purpose for his main character(s). How do you see it, Kav?

I do think the art itself is mostly breathtaking on that run, and that was mostly with Royer, I believe. I can only imagine how those pages would have popped had it been with Joe Sinnott.

I'm six odd issues from completing a Kamandi run; looking forward to reading it end to end. I loved every random issue I read as a kid, so I have hopes.