• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What comes after this 1st appearance boom?
1 1

77 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Readcomix said:

I just read that run not too long ago, then sold it to a boardie. I love the concept and the cast of characters (Glenda, Harry, Randu Singh, Klarion), but Kirby seemed to run out of enthusiasm partway thru. Etrigan/Jason Blood just kept stumbling into supernatural opponents, but he never really explored their duality or found a driving purpose for his main character(s). How do you see it, Kav?

I do think the art itself is mostly breathtaking on that run, and that was mostly with Royer, I believe. I can only imagine how those pages would have popped had it been with Joe Sinnott.

I'm six odd issues from completing a Kamandi run; looking forward to reading it end to end. I loved every random issue I read as a kid, so I have hopes.

I read Demon when I was young and interested in the occult so it has a special place for me but otherwise yes you are spot on.  He just went from one weird supernatural threat to another.  I also got into Dr Strange at the same time for the same reason.  

On September 1, 2019 at 12:49 PM, porcupine48 said:

Death of Captain Marvel was BIGgrowing up.Couldn't find that book in Ottawa.Death of Phoenix too.They kill and bring back everyone now,why I said first death lol 

It's morbid,yeah,I was a morbid kid,but hey,look at PCH.Saddest death?Poor Porcupine,turns good,dieds from his own quill.le sigh.

Off topic,but is Wolvie still dead?

C'mon Jimmers -- you need a People's Comix! Death of Fritz the Cat is where it's at! An icepick in the back of the skull from an Ostrich! Classic Crumb!

the timeline didnt make sense tho it had to be after the legion but the technology was lower than the levels of the legion so wtf.

On 9/1/2019 at 10:51 AM, porcupine48 said:

I mean,Eternals?I stockpiled every dollar bin copy I found for years,thought I was the only one that liked that series!

The penultimate issue, wit the torture creature, freaked me out as a kid. As did Kirby's Captain America 206.

1 minute ago, HouseofComics.Com said:

The penultimate issue, wit the torture creature, freaked me out as a kid. As did Kirby's Captain America 206.

with the giant grasshopper?

2 minutes ago, kav said:

I read Demon when I was young and interested in the occult so it has a special place for me but otherwise yes you are spot on.  He just went from one weird supernatural threat to another.  I also got into Dr Strange at the same time for the same reason.  

I could see that as he clearly had done his research -- the text pages and letter answers underscore that. Then he just seems to lots interest in his own concept, even though he created a handful of great characters in that series. 

Just now, Readcomix said:

I could see that as he clearly had done his research -- the text pages and letter answers underscore that. Then he just seems to lots interest in his own concept, even though he created a handful of great characters in that series. 

without Stan Lee to breath life into them his awesome concepts always petered out.

1 hour ago, Readcomix said:

C'mon Jimmers -- you need a People's Comix! Death of Fritz the Cat is where it's at! An icepick in the back of the skull from an Ostrich! Classic Crumb!

You're right Gene,I do need one!

Funny enough,I just pulled out Fat Freddies Cat #1-4 to reread :cloud9: Weird little digest sized things hide and pop up every few years

6 hours ago, Readcomix said:

I also thought the Eternals was pretty thin gruel from Kirby

For me, a little harsh.

A group of gigantic space gods that see three genetically-modified variants of a common anthropoid ancestor as nothing more than test organisms on an oversized, rocky, spheroidal Petri dish that they could sterilise at will.

The extremely dark and emotional issue 8 featuring the Deviant Holocaust, referred to as Purity Time, as they exterminate the unluckiest, most deformed, 'most monstrous' of their society, with obvious real world parallels, and preceded by a scene of extreme abuse of one of these Rejects, witnessed by Thena.  One of the most powerful Kirby stories of all.

Hardly what I'd consider vapid.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

For me, a little harsh.

A group of gigantic space gods that see three genetically-modified variants of a common anthropoid ancestor as nothing more than test organisms on an oversized, rocky, spheroidal Petri dish that they could sterilise at will.

The extremely dark and emotional issue 8 featuring the Deviant Holocaust, referred to as Purity Time, as they exterminate the unluckiest, most deformed, 'most monstrous' of their society, with obvious real world parallels, and preceded by a scene of extreme abuse of one of these Rejects, witnessed by Thena.  One of the most powerful Kirby stories of all.

Hardly what I'd consider vapid.

I never called it vapid, Ken. I think your summary of his high concept makes it sound much better than the actual execution, however. I get the concept but when I read it (off the racks) I saw a mash-up of "Chariots of the Gods" with a rehash of his DC fourth world and a re-imagining of the Olympian Gods (whom he and Lee had already introduced into the Marvel Universe) and the Inhumans. To me, it felt cluttered, forced and heavy-handed, though the concept itself was certainly not vapid.

Not arguing, each to his own. Just clarifying my take, as you clearly liked it and I do not want to offend. I just experienced it quite differently. I wanted to like it, as I liked the character designs and some of them as developed personas. Maybe it was too much retrofit at once for me to swallow -- a pantheon of beings who dwarfed Galactus and the Watcher's power levels, yet another God-like race that had not been encountered by Thor, the Surfer, Dr Strange, Black Bolt, Prof X etc.

Just explaining where I was coming from with my take. By no means a vapid concept, just an execution that fell far short for me.

2 hours ago, Readcomix said:

To me, it felt cluttered, forced and heavy-handed,

Kirby’s dialogue, execution and art can, to me, often seem extremely metal; loud, energetic, in-your-face, little in the way of subtlety. 

But, I often quite like that.

It’s entertaining, at least. :smile:

18 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Maybe it was too much retrofit at once for me to swallow -- a pantheon of beings who dwarfed Galactus and the Watcher's power levels, yet another God-like race that had not been encountered by Thor, the Surfer, Dr Strange, Black Bolt, Prof X etc.

That's a fair criticism, and one I have with pretty much every subsequent cosmic-powered character created around 1980 and beyond.