• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I've got a few Aces up my sleeve . . .
3 3

31 posts in this topic

I'm offering some rare books today - Ace Periodicals Four Favorites and Super-Mystery Comics. Not your common thread. 

But first! The rules!!!

No Bad people, HOSers, Probies or others who will sully the process and cause chaos and havoc with me or the process.

First unqualified :takeit:in the thread trumps all negotiations and PM/DM agreements. I do listen to offers and package deals.

Payments up to $1,000 PayPal, Check or Money Order. Above $1,000 Check or Money Order. Books will not be shipped until check/MO clears bank. Time payments allowed for purchases over $1,000 - 20% non-refundable deposit, and no more than 3 months to pay off the balance. 

Shipping will USPS Priority for purchases under $1,000, Registered for above, and both are free in CONUS and will be fully insured. Canada and elsewhere we can discuss how and how much shipping will be.

No Returns - these are all newly graded by CGC. If there is damage during shipping they will be insured so we can go through that.

Not sure how long I will leave this up. I have heard this weekend is slow because Boardies may actually be someplace called "Outside" having food cooked to ashes over charcoal or gas flames, and imbibing strange beverages that cloud their judgement. I don't want to to believe it, but in case it is true I will leave this up well into the week upcoming, or until they are all sold!

Thanks for looking, 

Edited by Qua-Brot

First up:

Four Favorites 9 CGC 5.5 C/OW. 2nd highest graded after a 6.5 out of 7 graded copies (6 on census, this one makes it 7 total). Heritage has only ever sold 5 copies. Not such a common book.

This one is nice and sharp looking. The major flaw is visible in the shadowed part of the robot – circular tear in the cover, plus some shadowing on the front (back cover looks great – too bad that isn’t a selling point!).

Robot cover, bondage cover, one-staple War book, with lots of action. Oh, and early Harvey Kurtzman art! What more could you want?

GPA is scarce with only 3 sales in last 2 years, with even that data kind of all over the place – a 6.5 selling four months before a restored 3.5 for a hundred bucks less (6.5 for $436, the C1 3.5 for $525!) and then last year a C1 2.5 (cover glued back on, tape on inside of cover) sold for $531.

Asking $2,200.

2054414-014F.JPG

2054414-014B.JPG

Four Favorites 11 CGC 3.0 C/OW. This one is an honest lower grade book – lowest graded of the 8 copies graded, no tape or glue, cover is attached – it’s just a solid but used book.

But it’s got some interesting people on the cover – Hitler, Mussolini and Hirohito. War bonds cover. Clown appearance.

Harvey Kurtzman art – Early L. B. Cole art!!! Seems this is Cole’s 3rd comic book work (from looking it up on Grand Comics Database)? He was working for Ferstadt Art Studio which supplied art for Ace Periodicals.

GPA has only one sale in the last few years, a 4.0 for $1,550 in mid-2017. Prices seem to be going up, and this is a desirable issue . . .

Asking $1,750. :news: SOLD!!!

2054414-016F.JPG

2054414-016B.JPG

Edited by Qua-Brot

Now we'll move on to the Super-Mystery Comics:

Super-Mystery Comics V3 #3 CGC 2.0 C/OW, tape on interior of cover. Low grade with great color.

Harvey Kurtzman’s first cover! Robot cover, first appearance of the Lancer.

GPA shows a 1.8 sold in early 2017 for $330 . . . Oh yeah, it's also a Gerber 7, so maybe one of the cheapest G7s out there?

Asking $500.

2054414-017F.JPG

2054414-017B.JPG

Edited by Qua-Brot

Super-Mystery Comics V3 #4 CGC 3.0 C/OW, tape on cover.

Kurtzman cover, classic hanging cover, skeletons, acid baths, and - well, just an all-around gruesome cover! I contrast these early Kurtzman covers (particularly this and Four Favorites 10) with their gore and horror aspect to his later involvement with EC, which was primarily known for it’s horror books – but Kurtzman steered clear of that genre and stuck to War and Humor (thankfully! He gave us Mad!).

GPA shows some high-grade sales from almost 3 years ago, so it’s hard to extrapolate down to this grade, but given it’s horror chops, skeleton and classic hanging cover . 

Asking $1,100 :news: SOLD!!!

2054414-018F.JPG

2054414-018B.JPG

Edited by Qua-Brot

Super-Mystery Comics V3 #5 CGC 5.0 OW/W. Solid graded book with great color.

Kurtzman art and what seems to be LB Cole’s 2nd comic book work. Torture cover with lots going on inside – hanging panels and man burned alive panels. Fun!

GPA shows a few sales from 2017 but nothing recent. One 1.8 for sale on an expensive site for $690.

Asking $1,450

2054414-019F.JPG

2054414-019B.JPG

Let's go out with a bang!

Super-Mystery Comics V4 #1 CGC 9.0 White Pages! This is a beauty! And it's a Gerber 7! 

Ferstadt and LB Cole art. Clown appearance.

This is the highest graded by 2 full points – next grades are 7.0.

GPA has one of the 7.0 sold for $900 in 2017. Prices have gone up a bit, plus Gerber 7, plus two points, plus highest graded, plus White pages . . .

Asking $3,000 :news:SOLD!!!

2054414-021F.JPG

2054414-021B.JPG

Edited by Qua-Brot

36 minutes ago, Qua-Brot said:

Super-Mystery Comics V3 #4 CGC 3.0 C/OW, tape on cover.

Kurtzman cover, classic hanging cover, skeletons, acid baths, and - well, just an all-around gruesome cover! I contrast these early Kurtzman covers (particularly this and Four Favorites 10) with their gore and horror aspect to his later involvement with EC, which was primarily known for it’s horror books – but Kurtzman steered clear of that genre and stuck to War and Humor (thankfully! He gave us Mad!).

GPA shows some high-grade sales from almost 3 years ago, so it’s hard to extrapolate down to this grade, but given it’s horror chops, skeleton and classic hanging cover . 

Asking $1,100

2054414-018F.JPG

2054414-018B.JPG

Take per PM. Sorry mom!

3 hours ago, Qua-Brot said:

Four Favorites 11 CGC 3.0 C/OW. This one is an honest lower grade book – lowest graded of the 8 copies graded, no tape or glue, cover is attached – it’s just a solid but used book.

But it’s got some interesting people on the cover – Hitler, Mussolini and Hirohito. War bonds cover. Clown appearance.

Harvey Kurtzman art – Early L. B. Cole art!!! Seems this is Cole’s 3rd comic book work (from looking it up on Grand Comics Database)? He was working for Ferstadt Art Studio which supplied art for Ace Periodicals.

GPA has only one sale in the last few years, a 4.0 for $1,550 in mid-2017. Prices seem to be going up, and this is a desirable issue . . .

Asking $1,750.

2054414-016F.JPG

2054414-016B.JPG

Taken per pm!