• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cracking open a CGC case?

49 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Cliff R. said:

I've never cracked a slab, but if @lizards2 can do it after having 3 beers, how hard can it be? :acclaim:

Well, Cliff..., may I call you Cliff? 

Anyway, three beers kinds of calms you down after the fifth of Wild Turkey.  When the moon is wane side. 

But honestly, you should leave all this to the professionals.

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Of course you disagree. No surprise there. Maybe if whoever you saw sliding the straight edge all over the well had exerted a little downward pressure on the straight edge, they wouldn't have misplaced their cut. When you pick up tools, a slight bit of mental awareness, manual dexterity, and control might be advisable so as to not louse something up that shouldn't require much effort at all. .

It's not a contest. You forget who disagreed with whom. 

That's wonderful that that works for you. I've cut 5 figure books out of wells, and not had any problem, so I'll stick with what works for me. Conversely, I've watched people cut open 5 figure books with razors and cut the book

How many slabs have you opened yourself?

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

2 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:
5 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

yeah - we weren't invited to the Known Tools club. :sorry: 

Do they serve sandwiches?I'd could go for a hoagie

The Known Tools club likes to train their pledges by doing inexplicable things with hoagies...., just ask JJJ

17 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

A box cutter type apparatus, a handle that holds a blade is extremely sturdy in the hand, unless the blade isn't loaded correctly or the handle is broken.

...until you can't see because the bulk of the box cutter gets in the way.

1 minute ago, porcupine48 said:
3 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

The Known Tools club likes to train their pledges by doing inexplicable things with hoagies...., just ask JJJ

I leave the playing with the meat to the pros.

giphy.gif

Oh man, it all circles back to JJJ, doesn't it?   hm

12 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Well, Cliff..., may I call you Cliff? 

Anyway, three beers kinds of calms you down after the fifth of Wild Turkey.  When the moon is wane side. 

But honestly, you should leave all this to the professionals.

Yes Mike, you may.  You should take a video of your slab cracking procedure and post it in this thread.  Maybe someone else could demonstrate the scalpel technique.

Whoever gets the book safely out and isn't bleeding is the winner. 

Boy if we ever have a thread on which side of the toilet paper roll goes in front things are gonna get nuts around here.  

34 minutes ago, kav said:

Boy if we ever have a thread on which side of the toilet paper roll goes in front things are gonna get nuts around here.  

I can't believe you would even question that. :eyeroll:

6 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

there are a couple of videos...

bingo

Edited by kav

8 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Geek in the house, more like it. That's how the geeks extricate the book from the well, tearing through the well and everything else with their teeth, right before they bite the head off the chicken to complete the sacrificial phase of the de-slabbing ritual.

:roflmao:

Another little trick I like to perform is gently sliding a thin backing board under the book while it's still in the well, which helps protect the back of the book if there are rough edges from the cut plastic. Even if you can slide the backing board only part of the way under the book, you can slowly coax the book out of the well and onto the backing board. This method can be especially helpful if the well becomes damaged during the cutting phase... 

Edited by The Lions Den

10 hours ago, Cliff R. said:

Yes Mike, you may.  You should take a video of your slab cracking procedure and post it in this thread.  Maybe someone else could demonstrate the scalpel technique.

Whoever gets the book safely out and isn't bleeding is the winner. 

The new slabs are seriously a biotch on that "no bleeding" front, at least the outer well.

NewSlabPullsKnife.jpg.694166dc094f77b53820269d0cb891e2.jpg

I use a scissor as well...but you DO have to be careful about the shearing motions of the tool. 

I cut right inside of the heat seal. 

I cut at least the top and corners, most of the time I cut all the way around before lifting the book off the back piece of plastic. 

The key is...whatever tool you use...be CAREFUL.