• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cracking open a CGC case?

49 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

It's not a contest. You forget who disagreed with whom. 

That's wonderful that that works for you. I've cut 5 figure books out of wells, and not had any problem, so I'll stick with what works for me. Conversely, I've watched people cut open 5 figure books with razors and cut the book

How many slabs have you opened yourself?

Being able to cut or score a straight line whether the straight edge is there to guide the blade or just a straight edge to follow, like the weld, is not difficult if you've done a similar task countless thousands of times, putting in floors, ceilings, walls; cutting/fitting tiles, wood, panels, metal, plastic, etc., it's all the same. The ability to cut a straight line transfers from one task to another. The well already has a straight edge to follow. On the few I have opened, I didn't use a straight edge. There's already a guide there. The weld. I carefully cut three edges around the comic on the inner portion of that weld, right on it. The cut doesn't have to be absolutely perfect, like you're fitting tiles, because the plastic is discarded. But for me, the weld is enough of a guide, enough of a straight edge, to accomplish the task while missing the book.

Which is why I mention that being familiar with and having some skill and experience in handling the type of tools used to open the well is helpful.

10 hours ago, kav said:

Boy if we ever have a thread on which side of the toilet paper roll goes in front things are gonna get nuts around here.  

The correct answer to that is dependent upon which hemisphere you're located in.  It depends upon the clockwise or counter clockwise direction of the water circling your toilet when you flush

I ultimately went with a small pair of decent scissors cutting the top, right and bottom side.  It was pretty easy but something that should not be done with high grade books without being very careful.  This book was an overgraded 9.6 modern (Gal Gadot foil cover) so not much risk in price but I like the book a lot so I'm much happier with it out of it's tomb. 

BTW, I thought we were all automatically geeks for collecting comic books in the first place?

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

The correct answer to that is dependent upon which hemisphere you're located in.  It depends upon the clockwise or counter clockwise direction of the water circling your toilet when you flush

I'm in the Western Hemisphere.

29 minutes ago, FSF said:

I ultimately went with a small pair of decent scissors cutting the top, right and bottom side.  It was pretty easy but something that should not be done with high grade books without being very careful.  This book was an overgraded 9.6 modern (Gal Gadot foil cover) so not much risk in price but I like the book a lot so I'm much happier with it out of it's tomb. 

BTW, I thought we were all automatically geeks for collecting comic books in the first place?

If there's a spacer in the well, that's always the first side to cut.

Believe it or not, I have seen someone open a last gen slab with his bare hands at a con and then tear the inner well open..also with bare hands ( to prep for signature series ) and not damage the book.

It was pretty impressive.

18 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Believe it or not, I have seen someone open a last gen slab with his bare hands at a con and then tear the inner well open..also with bare hands ( to prep for signature series ) and not damage the book.

It was pretty impressive.

He gave book to creator and said sign this book or I do same to you-

I prefer scissors to scalpel for the inner slab, better control that way, I cracked hundreds of slabs and never had a damage yet.

New slabs are a greater challenge for the outside slab but paper cutter are doing great.

The problem though once the slab is open is when you find restoration on a blue label: you cannot put the book back in its slab...

But some people here where very successful in derailing that thread in such a way that it got closed...