• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Corner damage on CGC 9.8 help?

11 posts in this topic

Hi

I bought a 9.8 Sandman and I was surprised/disappointed to see that the top left hand corner appears to be damaged. Little hard to see on the images: 

Sorry, I’m new to grading and from reading your comments I understand 9.8 doesn’t mean it’s perfect but what do you think of the pictures?

Shall I return as damaged/not as advertised? What do you think?

Really appreciate your advice. 

Thank you

94CB8451-61F8-4EC2-A5CC-1AB116A24A16.jpeg

07D65C43-CEAF-4DDF-AA44-93224CCCC0B8.jpeg

15A853A1-C096-4ABA-B66C-17A4B86BBC2D.jpeg

B6BB52D2-8B2D-4008-898A-790C4CC9098B.jpeg

98F74E07-B02B-4898-A461-28EB06967DE7.jpeg

Does it look like the corner was impacted from hitting the top left corner of the inner well? If you gently tap the side of the slab, does the comic move?

It's hard to tell from your photos, but it looks like a simple bindery tear - they're fairly prominent on all copies of Sandman #1 and won't stop a book from being a 9.8.

@ChrisGerge

These don't look like blunted corners or anything.  These appear to be bindery tears which are allowable (within reason) in 9.8 books.  These will generally keep books out of 9.9/10 territory, but I've seen plenty of 9.8's with bindery tears like the one in your pictures.  Perhaps the pictures are hiding the severity of the flaws, but I'm not seeing anything that would keep this book from being graded a 9.8 if resubmitted.

if your not happy with the corners and want something more sharp I would return it and find another book that pleases you. 

remember buy the book not the label.

5 hours ago, mschmidt said:

Does it look like the corner was impacted from hitting the top left corner of the inner well? If you gently tap the side of the slab, does the comic move?

It's hard to tell from your photos, but it looks like a simple bindery tear - they're fairly prominent on all copies of Sandman #1 and won't stop a book from being a 9.8.

(thumbsu

That's just what most copies of Sandman 1 look like (to some degree). If you don't like it, you may never find a copy that pleases you.