• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Purchase of the year!
2 2

148 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

C) This story will only make it harder to find such deals in the future. 

Why? If such a seller does not know that this "piece of paper" is worth way more than $800, I guess he does not read this kind of board :)

22 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

Fascinating thread.  About 10 years back, a boardie hit the BIN of  $200 for  an ebay listing.  It was an Action #10.  Multiple  people notified the seller, it was worth way more  He honored the deal without hesitation.   The book graded a 3.0 and sold for 20K on Comiclink.  

There's a wide range of values on the board. Many people are just fine with the dealer who lost his professional licensing for stealing from grandmas to fund his comics venture, even ignoring the likelihood that his lack of morals could harm them.

Personally I know I'd be too wracked with guilt if I didn't tell the seller what it was worth.

8 hours ago, Matches_Malone said:

I would have done the same, but since the cat is out of the bag,  I would put it up for auction and split the profits with the seller. 

That would work if whomever bought it did so for resale and not for long term collecting purposes.

While that might work for someone who bought it for the former it certainly isn't a solution for someone who purchased it for the latter. 

1 hour ago, NicoV said:

Why? If such a seller does not know that this "piece of paper" is worth way more than $800, I guess he does not read this kind of board :)

exactly, that point made no sense.  There will always be people uninformed out there.

Malvin

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

The difference between our opinions is that you’re presumably batting this sort of thing at this scale around as a mental exercise and I’ve lived it and know others that have.    You’d think the sellers would be grateful, but that’s not what happens typically.   Nobody wants to know they’ve made a mistake of that magnitude and if you throw them 5k it’s a bandaid on a gunshot wound:  it’s not helping.

Yeah, if an artist sells a piece of his directly for $1K and then the buyer resells it for $6K and kicks him another $2K because he's a big fan, then the artist is probably appreciative of the gesture.  A clueless dealer who finds out that he sold the piece for like 2 cents on the dollar is going to feel totally different about the buyer kicking in a few grand out of pity; even a relatively big contribution probably leaves him feeling regret.  And, of course, the buyer doesn't know the dealer from Adam and isn't under any obligation, moral or otherwise, to do so anyway.   

There is no moral ambiguity here. Unless there are details to the story we’re not privy too this was a legit transaction. 

Here’s what I would love to see from a car wreck, busy body observer perspective. To the lucky buyer. Please Please Please 

1) Flip this quickly in 2020 HA auction or

2) list it today for buy it now $100k on eBay and trigger all the saints on the chat board.

The quicker you flip it the sooner we know

1) What a great deal you made or

2) What a greedy Bum  you are

Then we can move this thread to FLIP OF THE DAY and eat popcorn while the haves and the have nots squabble over what’s acceptable.

Look I can think of a few instances where the buyer might be a cad. This ain’t one of them.

I don’t know the buyers intentions either. Did he just land a Grail he intends to keep?

Would the puritans like to let us know what the proper amount of mourning time the buyer has to observe before he can sell this find?

Heres a proposition 

I am offering the buyer $16000 cash right now for the cover. The offer stands until Sunday at midnight. It’s not 50 k but it’s cash and I’ll relieve you of any guilt you might feel for paying the seller the price he asked for.

Oh and two more conditions: You have to split the16k I give you with the convention seller. And donate a thank you fee  $1600 to the comic artist.

To the seller I’m not heartless. I truly wish you knew what you were doing before you sold this. I honestly pray no one tells you and you can go about life clueless and happy.

For the buyer cheers man! This is what many of us dream of. For what it’s worth the prudent thing probably was to keep this one buried for a bit before revealing. That being said it’s yours and you do what the heck you like. 

This could have been worse gang. Los Bros de Nor Cal could’ve have crossed the border and found the Swamp Thing.

Instead this goes down as one of the great stories of recent times in our hobby.

Cheers

Edited by grapeape

So what is the threshold on getting a good deal?  If you get something 20% cheaper than the real value are you a dirtbag?  How about 1/2 the value?  How about 10% the value?  To me it is all arbitrary. Seller sold it, buyer bought it. If it is legit, buyer did very well. 

By going public, it has just limited his options.  People are treating it as if he literally stole the art. 

If he sells right away in a public forum/auction, this story will go even wider to comic news websites...Capital Gains, the seller will find out and may seek a lawyer, and you'll just get internet hate for the dumb reason of not sharing your profits.  Did the guy who bought all those Peanuts strips have to go back and pay the ebay seller more?  Did the guy who bought the Justice League 21 cover go back and pay more?  Did you ever overpay for art from an artist, dealer, or in auction 20 years ago and now it's worth 10x more?  Do you feel the need to go back and pay them more now?       

If he sells privately, he's just going to get low offers.

Best route, keep it.  Never put it up on CAF.  It will just get you praise or scorn comments. 

If you really just wanted the money, consign with a dealer who doesn't give a and is willing to take the hate.  Learn not to tell on how much you paid for something from now on.

Edited by Marwai

I'm guessing about 50% of the reason why people with valuable OA don't advertise it is so they can do private sales and cheat the Taxman out of his cut. And, this will make it harder (not impossible!) to get this kind of a deal in the future, because anytime this kind of thing happens, the deal will spread like wildfire in the dealer and the collector community and make all the dealers and sellers that much more cautious. 

2 hours ago, comix4fun said:

That would work if whomever bought it did so for resale and not for long term collecting purposes.

While that might work for someone who bought it for the former it certainly isn't a solution for someone who purchased it for the latter. 

It sucks, but that  someone should have been more cautious after making the purchase.  
I learned about this purchase a few days ago, and  Im not one to keep one's ear to the ground in regards to the  transactions that take place in the OA world. 

I don’t know the buyer, and I dont know the seller, but I guarantee the buyer knew immediately  what he got away with.  Hence, don’t tell a soul.   But since he did, and now everybody knows, a rectification should be made,  or Swamp Thing #37  will forever be known as the one that was stole from grandmas’ drawer.  

IMHO…Put it up for auction…split the profits…and move away from the stink. I think both parties will mutually gain.

4 minutes ago, Matches_Malone said:

I don’t know the buyer, and I dont know the seller, but I guarantee the buyer knew immediately  what he got away with.

Not always.  Can't tell if it was in a frame.  I've seen people buy something for a steal and flex about it in front of everyone only to find out on their own later on that it was an unpublished version.  By then, it would have been more humiliating to go back and get your money back than to just write it off.  

12 minutes ago, Matches_Malone said:

It sucks, but that  someone should have been more cautious after making the purchase.  
I learned about this purchase a few days ago, and  Im not one to keep one's ear to the ground in regards to the  transactions that take place in the OA world. 

I don’t know the buyer, and I dont know the seller, but I guarantee the buyer knew immediately  what he got away with.  Hence, don’t tell a soul.   But since he did, and now everybody knows, a rectification should be made,  or Swamp Thing #37  will forever be known as the one that was stole from grandmas’ drawer.  

IMHO…Put it up for auction…split the profits…and move away from the stink. I think both parties will mutually gain.

Wait, what????  Stole???  Rectification???  Stink???  This is :screwy: