• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show off your favorite Sal Buscema art
2 2

22 posts in this topic

Weren't we just talking about this guy?  It's Labor Day, a celebration of workers, and Sal Buscema was Marvel's 1970s/80s/90s workhorse, as others have pointed out.  Josh Grey just posted this over at CAF, and it might be the best Sal B. thing I've ever seen. It's not just the inker, though that of course brings a LOT to the image -- the composition itself is pretty powerful.

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?Piece=1573911&GSub=0&GCat=32006&UCat=32006

I'm also attaching the only piece of Sal B. that I still own -- the introduction of the Band of the Bland. 

buscema sink.jpeg

buscema howard mte panel.jpg

Edited by glendgold

2 hours ago, glendgold said:

Weren't we just talking about this guy?  It's Labor Day, a celebration of workers, and Sal Buscema was Marvel's 1970s/80s/90s workhorse, as others have pointed out.  Josh Grey just posted this over at CAF, and it might be the best Sal B. thing I've ever seen. It's not just the inker, though that of course brings a LOT to the image -- the composition itself is pretty powerful.

buscema sink.jpeg

Sal really isn't that bad, but he is bland. This is a Bill Sienkiewicz piece though, through and through.

I'm sure Sal didn't mean to, but "his" feels so much like an ancient "Bill" -

image.png.5354fc0dd0067537c12ab8c40d2fa151.png

Bought this years ago without knowing what, if anything, it was used for. Later discovered it was both a Marvelmania Catalog cover and a pin-up in a Marvel Treasury Edition. But the most insane fact about this piece, discovered with the indispensable assistance of Glen Gold, is this is Sal's try-out art that landed him the Avengers gig!

I apologize for the poor image...Mike

Buscema Sal Avengers Sized.jpg

9 minutes ago, mxs7 said:

Bought this years ago without knowing what, if anything, it was used for. Later discovered it was both a Marvelmania Catalog cover and a pin-up in a Marvel Treasury Edition. But the most insane fact about this piece, discovered with the indispensable assistance of Glen Gold, is this is Sal's try-out art that landed him the Avengers gig!

Fantastic ! In particular I Iove the rendition of the Vision.

19 minutes ago, mxs7 said:

Wow awesome! I recall seeing that image and always loved it!