• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Freihofer's Comic Book from Circa 1942
1 1

13 posts in this topic

This may be the only DC-related Golden Age book that's still uncataloged/undocumented.  I've been watching for 5+ years and have yet to see one for sale, and the last sale I've been able to find (7 years ago on Heritage) was for a slabbed copy with no info on the interiors.

I believe the book reprints stories from one or more issues of All-American Comics (issue(s) 12, 13 and/or 14?), but I'm hoping to find someone who can confirm the entire contents, reprint source(s) and page counts, or perhaps point me to a book, mag or site that has that info?  Or even sell me a really low-grade copy, if one is even out there?

I'm an amateur comics historian, and I'd love to be able to recreate this promo digitally as well as update its info on the Grand Comics Database.  I'd also be happy to pay someone for scans or clear digital photos of the entire book.  Thanks for any help! 

freihofer.jpg

11 minutes ago, Karl M said:

This may be the only DC-related Golden Age book that's still uncataloged/undocumented.  I've been watching for 5+ years and have yet to see one for sale, and the last sale I've been able to find (7 years ago on Heritage) was for a slabbed copy with no info on the interiors.

I believe the book reprints stories from one or more issues of All-American Comics (issue(s) 12, 13 and/or 14?), but I'm hoping to find someone who can confirm the entire contents, reprint source(s) and page counts, or perhaps point me to a book, mag or site that has that info?  Or even sell me a really low-grade copy, if one is even out there?

I'm an amateur comics historian, and I'd love to be able to recreate this promo digitally as well as update its info on the Grand Comics Database.  I'd also be happy to pay someone for scans or clear digital photos of the entire book.  Thanks for any help! 

freihofer.jpg

I wonder if Ian Levine had a copy of this.  

I don't know if this helps but HA auctioned a slabbed copy in 2012 so you could get hi-res scans and crop out the slab if that is an option.  I am not a DC collector so I had never seen nor heard of it.  

Here is the link - https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/miscellaneous/freihofer-s-comic-book-bc-1-second-edition-all-american-1940-cgc-vg-40-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/121220-12161.s

8328483%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chain

hang tight. it's been years since I've communicated with the guy, but there used to be a scanner around that had a complete All-American collection, and was even writing a book on Gaines at one time. He should have a copy. 

4 hours ago, fett said:

hang tight. it's been years since I've communicated with the guy, but there used to be a scanner around that had a complete All-American collection, and was even writing a book on Gaines at one time. He should have a copy. 

update-he doesnt have it :whatthe:

I just double-checked, and the "Adventures In the Unknown" Martian depicted on the Freihofer's front page didn't appear in All-American until issue 22.  The Ultra-Man series, however, ended with issue 19.  Also, I can't find a match for the that little "Adventures" image anywhere, so it looks like there might be some new or modified artwork on the Freihofer's "cover".

I thought maybe this book just reprinted 30 pages or 1 or 2 full signatures from a single All-American issue, but it looks like it has reprints from at least two and maybe several.

I'm assuming it's a 32-page book since it includes at least partial stories for 5 different characters.

I was fortunate to be able to scan Jerome Wenker's promos/giveaways before he sold his collection, but he didn't have this one (I think it was the only DC promo he didn't have, with the exception of 1 or 2 Comic Cavalcade "variations" and maybe "Johnny Everyman" (?)).

The only other oddball pre-1970 DC that I know I'm missing are 3 of the Special Edition U.S. Navy books (Jerome actually had all of them, but their bindings were too tight to scan (even with a hand/wand scanner) without potentially damaging them.  A couple of those can be found online as scanned microfiche, but the quality is pretty poor.

I thought I saw/read that Ian landed a copy of this book several years ago.  And I believe someone else - maybe James Halperin? - had a slabbed copy on their web site at one time.

Looks like this one might end up being a "white whale" for me.  :)  Thanks for the responses.

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:14 PM, Karl M said:

I just double-checked, and the "Adventures In the Unknown" Martian depicted on the Freihofer's front page didn't appear in All-American until issue 22.  The Ultra-Man series, however, ended with issue 19.  Also, I can't find a match for the that little "Adventures" image anywhere, so it looks like there might be some new or modified artwork on the Freihofer's "cover".

I thought maybe this book just reprinted 30 pages or 1 or 2 full signatures from a single All-American issue, but it looks like it has reprints from at least two and maybe several.

I'm assuming it's a 32-page book since it includes at least partial stories for 5 different characters.

I was fortunate to be able to scan Jerome Wenker's promos/giveaways before he sold his collection, but he didn't have this one (I think it was the only DC promo he didn't have, with the exception of 1 or 2 Comic Cavalcade "variations" and maybe "Johnny Everyman" (?)).

The only other oddball pre-1970 DC that I know I'm missing are 3 of the Special Edition U.S. Navy books (Jerome actually had all of them, but their bindings were too tight to scan (even with a hand/wand scanner) without potentially damaging them.  A couple of those can be found online as scanned microfiche, but the quality is pretty poor.

I thought I saw/read that Ian landed a copy of this book several years ago.  And I believe someone else - maybe James Halperin? - had a slabbed copy on their web site at one time.

Looks like this one might end up being a "white whale" for me.  :)  Thanks for the responses.

I have a copy of All American 2 which has a Martian similar to the one on your cover.

1737394492_5336ea9e83_b.jpg

freihoffer ed.png

You're right - when I found the Martian guy in issue 22, I assumed that was a first appearance, but after further research it turns out the  Adventures in the Unknown stories in All-American 20-25 were actually a sequel to the stories in AA 1-12.  Same Martians.

I just found the match to the Freihofer's Martian image in AA 7, and yes, the Ultraman image is from the cover of AA 8, while the Red, White & Blue images appear to be from AA 2 and the Hop image modified from AA 7.

Looks like the Freihofer's was published subsequent to AA 8, but could have reprinted any combination of RW&B, Ultraman, Scribbly, AITU and Hop stories from the pre-1941 AA issues, with issues 7 and/or 8 the most likely sources.  Thanks for helping to narrow it down.

RCO028.thumb.jpg.5b0861e767e1bfccf90f32e95a1ea9c1.jpgrwb.thumb.jpg.bf1f41774965693b30bf6425dbe621e9.jpgRCO038.thumb.jpg.3fd6b5ed2c7f392298c90e3229d9c7ad.jpg

RCO037_w.jpg

Edited by Karl M