• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guy bought my TTA 27 CGC 9.0 PLOD a while back...

46 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Jaylam said:

It looks like it had several spine stresses before pressing. It's hard to believe it got a bump to a 9.4 as I can still see some pretty obvious color breaking spine stresses. They hammer my books with those kinds of spine stresses much less getting a 9.4. Sheesh!!!

This, and given the unevenness of the pages on the right side of the book, it appears that there's still some kind of spine roll going on.  Dunno how this book got a 9.4.  Or a 9.0 for that matter.

3 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

Not if this plod scrapes into a 8.0 universal holder.

A decent (average to above-average) looking 8.0 blue is about a $17,500 book. That's probably around the max $$$$$ of what this seller could get for his PLOD 9.4 if he ran it as an auction, starting at a buck, no reserve. I've seen compromised results for blues that exhibited obvious signs of aggressive color touch removal, those results impacted to where the book sells for 66 to 75% of blues without the scrapes and excisions. CGC's service called this right on the money. The seller's best chance to optimizing his money is to play it as it lies, in a PLOD, although every thousand dollar increment he's asking over $20K is going to extend the shelf life of this book by another year before it has a chance of selling. At $120K, chances favor this book being in his family for 100 years before it sells for that amount.

Keep in mind, the relationship between the proportional values of a 9.4 and an 8.0 in blue label terms, does not nearly equate to the light year distance in value between a PLOD and a blue label super key in high grade ranges. Even if a blue label TTA 27 CGC 9.4 may one day sell for $1,000,000, it still won't drag up the value of a PLOD with any type of proportional pace! Right now, GP tells us that a blue label 9.4 is a $200K book. That makes $20K the market cap on a TTA 27 PLOD, same grade.  .

Edited by James J Johnson

After seeing the photos of the inside of the book, specifically the color bleed, and some of the other flaws mentioned, I don’t feel nearly as bad about not cracking, pressing and regrading it myself. If I cracked it and saw all that, I’d be kicking myself for throwing away a 9.0. In a million years I wouldn’t have expected a grade bump... far more likely, the reverse. 

7 hours ago, oldrover said:

After seeing the photos of the inside of the book, specifically the color bleed, and some of the other flaws mentioned, I don’t feel nearly as bad about not cracking, pressing and regrading it myself. If I cracked it and saw all that, I’d be kicking myself for throwing away a 9.0. In a million years I wouldn’t have expected a grade bump... far more likely, the reverse. 

The buyer got a fair price and you received a fair amount. Especially considering that the sane options are limited to one. Selling it as is and taking advantage of the favorable outcome of resubmission. What you owned was a $5000 to $7000 book. It's only worth more (possibly double that) now due to the resub, the book is the same and divorced from the new label, has the same value as when you owned it, as it has the same inherent problem that limits it marketability to one logical option.