• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do Creators Keep Track of the Going Rate for Their Sigs?
1 1

50 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Cman429 said:

Celebrities ruined it. I talked with Bob Layton once about this and he made the good point that if the guy who played the third Wookiee on the left in Phantom Menace can charge $40 for an auto, why can’t the creator of Iron Man ask for $10?

Which isn’t to say ebay is blameless. Creators have told me they look at what flippers charge on eBay so many are definitely aware and want “their piece” of the pie as it were. But what most of them don’t comprehend is just because someone lists a $15 modern for $299 after its signed doesn’t mean they actually GET that. 

Personally, I think the flippers thing is just a convenient crock for creators to justify charging for worthless autographs.

The value of a book is in 1. what it is, and 2. its condition. Signatures, for the most part, added to lower grade books add nothing. Creators do not understand this. What's more, they've been lied to by self-interested and conflicted parties.

There are "artist reps" who tell creators that their signature automatically doubles the value of anything they sign. Comics, toys, paper towels, hamburger wrappers. This is not true. It's never been true.

Creators should charge whatever amount they want. But they should charge the same amount to everyone. Creators charging a CGC punishment tax are hurting themselves, the fans, and CGC...and no one seems to care.

Here's a dumb question as I've never worked with a sig series rep to get books signed (I just buy CGC SSed books already done, or in a couple of cases have a facilitator take care of the whole thing. 

Does a signor have to consent to the CGC SS process? 

I mean if a facilitator walks up with a book and has a witness hanging out with him and gets a book signed by John Byrne, and hands the signed book over to the witness (or whatever the chain of custody process is) wouldnt that meet the requirements for the Signature Series process?

(this is for the signors who say "No CGC") 

9 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Here's a dumb question as I've never worked with a sig series rep to get books signed (I just buy CGC SSed books already done, or in a couple of cases have a facilitator take care of the whole thing. 

I mean if a facilitator walks up with a book and has a witness hanging out with him and gets a book signed by John Byrne, and hands the signed book over to the witness (or whatever the chain of custody process is) wouldnt that meet the requirements for the Signature Series process?

yes must have consent :eek: 

9 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Edit: Nvm.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

7 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

I believe that CGC has taken the policy that they will always respect the wishes of the artist.  They won't grade a book under signature series for an artist/writer who says "No CGC."  All of the witnesses that I've worked with make their presence known to the artist/writer and let them know it's for a graded book.  They don't generally hang out to the side.

5 minutes ago, MarkMoon said:

I believe that CGC has taken the policy that they will always respect the wishes of the artist.  They won't grade a book under signature series for an artist/writer who says "No CGC."  All of the witnesses that I've worked with make their presence known to the artist/writer and let them know it's for a graded book.  They don't generally hang out to the side.

Yah, I figured. Just wondered if there was some actual consent step in the process....

9 minutes ago, MarkMoon said:

I believe that CGC has taken the policy that they will always respect the wishes of the artist.  They won't grade a book under signature series for an artist/writer who says "No CGC."  All of the witnesses that I've worked with make their presence known to the artist/writer and let them know it's for a graded book.  They don't generally hang out to the side.Is ther

Is there anything preventing someone submitting it for a Green Label or downgraded Blue?

34 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

CGC has taken the position of refusing to certify Sig Series books from creators who refuse. If a creator says no...CGC won't certify it.

3 hours ago, Antpark said:

Is there anything preventing someone submitting it for a Green Label or downgraded Blue?

You will most definitely get a Green Label, but some people want the book graded and don't care about the Green. If you know you witnessed the signature, and have no plans of selling, then more power to you.

7 hours ago, newshane said:

One problem...Bob was NOT the creator of Iron Man, lol 

Don’t tell him that. He’s convinced he is. If you’re a fan of Stan or his “pinhead brother” Larry Lieber, I wouldn’t advise asking Bob what he thinks of them :popcorn:

5 minutes ago, Cman429 said:

Don’t tell him that. He’s convinced he is. If you’re a fan of Stan or his “pinhead brother” Larry Lieber, I wouldn’t advise asking Bob what he thinks of them :popcorn:

I would love to straighten him out. 

If it ever goes down, I will videotape for the sake of posterity. 

4 minutes ago, Cman429 said:

Hey Bob Don Heck called-he wants credit for Iron Man back.

21 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I like Steranko. First one is free. The rest are $5. Each with all money going to charity. A real talented gentleman and a hoot to be around especially if you are accompanied by a pretty woman...:roflmao:

...and he has one of the prettiest sigs in the biz. :x

Here is a sneak pic I took at a con a few years ago. 

Steranko1.jpg

Steranko3.jpg

1 minute ago, kav said:

Steranko and Frazetta-the only 2 sigs i would like to have.  All the rest are ugly.

Capullo is pretty tight. 

Mike Grell...hmmm...

I been out of the sig game for too long. I'll never return. 

57 minutes ago, kav said:

Steranko and Frazetta-the only 2 sigs i would like to have.  All the rest are ugly.

There are some others that are good too (Dave Stevens & Risso, for example), but those 2 are at the top.

Edited by chrisco37

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I like Steranko. First one is free. The rest are $5. Each with all money going to charity. A real talented gentleman and a hoot to be around especially if you are accompanied by a pretty woman...:roflmao:

I'll bring someone so incredible he will pay me to have him sign books!