• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

7th Annual Green Eggs Grading Contest (sign-up thread)
9 9

341 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, sckao said:

...And so the final call goes out. The Summoning has begun. Who will challenge @Azkaban for this final trophy?

Az will still be around to defend his honor, but we'll really miss your tables and charts showing results in a wide variety of leaderboards with different criteria.

Unless of course Andy has found someone else this year capable of manipulating spreadsheets to create the same thing, in which case it was nice knowing you. ; )

10 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:

(worship) Thanks so much, Shin! It's just not the same without you. :preach: 

I had a feeling this would happen.  Shin's graphs, charts and commentary have a strong, positive effect on the experience of this contest.  Thank you, shin!  (worship)

13 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:

You can search for the 2018 or 2017 Green Eggs contests and practice.  Take sincere guesses, write them down, then continue through that post until you see the book with the CGC grade posted.  

This will give you some nice practice. (thumbsu 

why can't I find this thread. I used the CGC search function which sucks and even google. I only found the winners thread. 

Nothing can prepare you for this contest. You will see books you never knew existed with defects that will leave you scratching your head all evening. You will ask yourself, " how much would CGC knock off for a bullet hole thru the back cover " or "does this smiley face drawn in mustard on the cover drop it to VG "? Just when you think you've seen everything, thirdgreenham throws something new at ya. Good luck. You'll need it.

3 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Nothing can prepare you for this contest. You will see books you never knew existed with defects that will leave you scratching your head all evening. You will ask yourself, " how much would CGC knock off for a bullet hole thru the back cover " or "does this smiley face drawn in mustard on the cover drop it to VG "? Just when you think you've seen everything, thirdgreenham throws something new at ya. Good luck. You'll need it.

yep after a few rounds of grading the average person will be filled with fear and self doubt ... and then after examining the books later they will analyze and over-analyze before reluctantly submitting the grades and then the anxiety will begin anew  lol 

Also, this kinda/sorta reminds me of the gift exchanges we had on the Spawn boards years ago. Not a contest, but boardies would ship stuff to other boardies as a surprise. Okay, I guess not like this contest at all, but cool nonetheless.  :)

Edited by an99
Spelling

28 minutes ago, an99 said:

If you don't mind a newbie, I'd like to play. 

For reference, you can check my eBay seller status, if you like. ID - yzerman_federov 

Thanks 

I don't think there has been qualifications to join a "grading contest" other than can you grade lol 

26 minutes ago, an99 said:

Not Also, this kinda/sorta reminds me of the gift exchanges we had on the Spawn boards years ago. Not a contest, but boardies would ship stuff to other boardies as a surprise. Okay, I guess not like this contest at all, but cool nonetheless.  :)

We have Christmas (raffle type) that is a "secret santa" at the end of each year, runs on the honor system to send, but any "t" makers would be outed on the boards... ahem but shouldn't be "fearful thing" it is ahem Christmas after all, do the best you can, we exchange lists of "wants" and the host organizes and assigns people to make it a "secret" etc....... in short, It's a lot of fun ^^ 

3 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

yep after a few rounds of grading the average person will be filled with fear and self doubt ... and then after examining the books later they will analyze and over-analyze before reluctantly submitting the grades and then the anxiety will begin anew  lol 

Yep. At some point many will question their own sanity. Most of us will not have the courage to hit the "send" button and make our guesses final. If you have something for anxiety, you may need it for the competition.