• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Create your own cover!
1 1

25 posts in this topic

I'm seeing more of these blank covers where you're supposed to get an artist to draw it for you at a convention. What's the board's preference here? Do you try to get the guy who works on that comic to draw your cover? Do you get just anyone, maybe your favorite artist, to do their version of the character? What if you're a half-way decent artist (I'm not); would doing your own be a thing?  

For example: I had Steven Butler (Silver Sable, Archie, and Sonic comics in the 90's) do a quick Spider-Gwen for my daughter at a local con. It's the best art hanging in the house, by the way. Off the top of my head, I have blanks of Howard the Duck, Black Cat, and Darth Vader. What if I had him draw their covers in the style of Archie comics? 

Anyway, from a $$$ perspective, what would maximize a blank books value? Also, would having someone do your cover be considered a variant, or would all covers of that book be lumped into one entry? 

21 minutes ago, Conacon said:

I'm seeing more of these blank covers where you're supposed to get an artist to draw it for you at a convention. What's the board's preference here? Do you try to get the guy who works on that comic to draw your cover? Do you get just anyone, maybe your favorite artist, to do their version of the character? What if you're a half-way decent artist (I'm not); would doing your own be a thing?  

For example: I had Steven Butler (Silver Sable, Archie, and Sonic comics in the 90's) do a quick Spider-Gwen for my daughter at a local con. It's the best art hanging in the house, by the way. Off the top of my head, I have blanks of Howard the Duck, Black Cat, and Darth Vader. What if I had him draw their covers in the style of Archie comics? 

Anyway, from a $$$ perspective, what would maximize a blank books value? Also, would having someone do your cover be considered a variant, or would all covers of that book be lumped into one entry? 

I believe it would be lumped into the blank variant notation if you get it CGC with a notation if you get it CGC SS witnessed sketched by "artist". 

If you draw on your own book and your not really a artist in the industry its whatever someone will pay for it but CGC will probably knock down the grade as you drew on the cover kind of like when someone doodles on the cover. 

As to maximize a blank books value.. hard to say as there are a ton of factors how much you paid for the commission of a popular artist, grading submitting, shipping etc.. and the realized selling price of someone wanting that book with the drawing/sketch on the cover. If I was forced to say/guess I would say get a popular artist associated with the book do a really nice sketch and get it CGC SS. but I don't know if that's even the best method as I see some of those commission books costing quite a lot of money and I am not sure how many people will shell out a ton of money to buy that book. I would do it more for the experience and collectability of having something cool in my collection. 

Much better books to "invest" in if your looking for that sort of thing.

1 minute ago, Krishosein said:
29 minutes ago, Conacon said:

I believe it would be lumped into the blank variant notation if you get it CGC with a notation if you get it CGC SS witnessed sketched by "artist". 

If you draw on your own book and your not really a artist in the industry its whatever someone will pay for it but CGC will probably knock down the grade as you drew on the cover kind of like when someone doodles on the cover. 

As to maximize a blank books value.. hard to say as there are a ton of factors how much you paid for the commission of a popular artist, grading submitting, shipping etc.. and the realized selling price of someone wanting that book with the drawing/sketch on the cover. If I was forced to say/guess I would say get a popular artist associated with the book do a really nice sketch and get it CGC SS. but I don't know if that's even the best method as I see some of those commission books costing quite a lot of money and I am not sure how many people will shell out a ton of money to buy that book. I would do it more for the experience and collectability of having something cool in my collection. 

Much better books to "invest" in if your looking for that sort of thing.

there is still a form that you can fill out to get signature series yellow label, even though your not a "well known" arteest :headbang: 

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

there is still a form that you can fill out to get signature series yellow label, even though your not a "well known" arteest :headbang: 

really so I can doodle a batman on my blank batman cover book and get a CGC SS saying it signed and sketched by myself??? how does that work...

1 minute ago, Krishosein said:
6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

really so I can doodle a batman on my blank batman cover book and get a CGC SS saying it signed and sketched by myself??? how does that work...

I believe that it was @Artboy99 who knew something about it..... sorry to tag you art, just wanted to see if I could help :eek: 

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:
2 minutes ago, Krishosein said:
7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I believe that it was @Artboy99 who knew something about it..... sorry to tag you art, just wanted to see if I could help :eek: 

It was discussed when boardie artists did it, but you could probably call CGC and ask for a quicker response..... I do know that it is possible and that there is a form, but you have to meet certain "conditions" of the form to make sure that the sketch never left your sight and other examples lol I just can't remember the form details.... :foryou: 

8 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It was discussed when boardie artists did it, but you could probably call CGC and ask for a quicker response..... I do know that it is possible and that there is a form, but you have to meet certain "conditions" of the form to make sure that the sketch never left your sight and other examples lol I just can't remember the form details.... :foryou: 

wow learned something new I will definitely look into this more thanks, I suck at drawing and don't think I could even do it as a hobby or for a living but I think it would be cool to sketch something on a book and CGC SS grade it to hang in the office. (thumbsu

you send in a cgc form registration yourself as a creator, then submit using the cgc signature series form.

If you are able to work carefully you can achieve high grades in the submissions. I have submitted 2 and both came back cgc signature series 9.8

Here is the last sketch cover I did with the submission form.

20180426_134721.jpg

5 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

you send in a cgc form registration yourself as a creator, then submit using the cgc signature series form.

If you are able to work carefully you can achieve high grades in the submissions. I have submitted 2 and both came back cgc signature series 9.8

20180426_134721.jpg

@Conacon @Krishosein

and thanks @Artboy99

37 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Here is the first blank cover sketch I did

Taskmaster SigSeries.jpg

nice I like everything except the background wall. (thumbsu but nice job much better than anything I can do.. 

3 minutes ago, Krishosein said:
41 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Here is the first blank cover sketch I did

Taskmaster SigSeries.jpg

nice I like everything except the background wall. (thumbsu but nice job much better than anything I can do.. 

I keep wanting to think that the "wall" is an audience and their in a arena..... or coliseum

3 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

20180426_134721.jpg

That book was a plain white blank? And the art is all your own work? 

Looks amazing! 

:golfclap:

1 hour ago, Dan82 said:

That book was a plain white blank? And the art is all your own work? 

Looks amazing! 

:golfclap:

it was a Lady Death #1 and it had signatures. The lettering on the cover has paint in it to cover the books title.

Yes the art is all done by me but it is after the original art done for that golden age title.

20180423_172010.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

29 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

it was a Lady Death #1 and it had signatures. The lettering on the cover has paint in it to cover the books title.

Yes the art is all done by me but it is after the original art done for that golden age title.

20180423_172010.jpg

Blimey! I've just had a look at the original and can hardly split them. You got mad skills! Fantastic work.

6 hours ago, Conacon said:

I don’t collect sketch covers or follow that market at all (so take this with a pound of salt).

From a “value” perspective, I would think the artist is first & foremost.

For example, even though he didn’t draw the issue, I would think that a Jim Lee Sketch would be more desirable/expensive than Humberto Ramos on an ASM book (that Ramos drew).  Or, if Frank Miller did the same.  

The next “tier” would be artist-to-character.  Mark Bagley “The Avengers” sketch cover wouldn’t be as desirable as a Bagley ASM cover.  

And down the line....

As far as “random joes” doing covers, it’s kinda cool.  There isn’t really any “value” to it, but it’s a cool concept.  I might do that myself if I were as good as some of the boardies that have posted their efforts .  Some real talent there, and I do appreciate it.  But, there is no “monetary value” to it (from an “investment” perspective).  

19 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

20180423_172010.jpg

That is beautifully done!   I absolutely love it!

As an artist myself, I don't love it when I'm given a blank cover to do a commission on.  If I'm working on my own bristol I can do a Mulligan if I screw up, not so if it's your blank cover.  The paper quality on the blanks is also pretty substandard, making it another reason I don't like them.

6 minutes ago, AndyFish said:

That is beautifully done!   I absolutely love it!

As an artist myself, I don't love it when I'm given a blank cover to do a commission on.  If I'm working on my own bristol I can do a Mulligan if I screw up, not so if it's your blank cover.  The paper quality on the blanks is also pretty substandard, making it another reason I don't like them.

it is rather hit or miss on the paper quality used on blank covers. Some have a coating on them that doesn't like inks/ markers, other cover stock has a tendency to bleed when worked on.

Then there is the cover stock that is easily damaged / add spine ticks to them.

More recent books seem to have a better cover stock.