• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Create your own cover!
1 1

25 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

it is rather hit or miss on the paper quality used on blank covers. Some have a coating on them that doesn't like inks/ markers, other cover stock has a tendency to bleed when worked on.

Then there is the cover stock that is easily damaged / add spine ticks to them.

More recent books seem to have a better cover stock.

I've only seen the two extremes-- so glossy that only a Sharpie works on it, and so raggy that even the best pen or brush and ink just bleeds everywhere.  

Just now, AndyFish said:

I've only seen the two extremes-- so glossy that only a Sharpie works on it, and so raggy that even the best pen or brush and ink just bleeds everywhere.  

I have seen very thin cover stock as well where after applying some Copic markers to it the result is a wrinkled mess.

Also: what made me nervous about working on the Weird Tales cover sketch is that the book provided was rather rare, don't quote me but I believe it was a 1 out of 10. As in only 10 of them made, and then I am applying acrylic paint on the cover to cover over the title of the book!

So I most definitely understand how you feel. :)

This is what the person sent me to work on. So I didn't have to cover up much of a title, but them I still had to paint the entire "Weird" to make it look consistent.

It was a challenging but satisfying project. It came back CGC signature series 9.8, and I do hope the owner loves it.

3CC54702-85F1-4683-9FA9-862854BAB665.png.d9757341d20a5604d1f110c1b517d506.png

A0B39712-3582-4CD8-AC22-AAC27EFE3C3D.thumb.jpeg.b7dc5abbd1d7ff955272091765dd60b7.jpeg

Edited by Artboy99