• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

House of x #1 connecting cover

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

sorry for all the house and power questions. It’s my favorite series currently and I want to get all my connecting covers graded I think it would look amazing to display. Here is house #1

C032F38B-1521-4298-BB11-35DFE732ACE7.jpeg

25B2EE25-75D5-4CBA-AE38-ABEC12DBFF07.jpeg

ADE37ACC-69A0-4749-BF34-B2BBE18DE91B.jpeg

C8492E40-116A-4EEC-B122-5329C83B87F2.jpeg

89209477-09BA-4A9B-AB71-FF3E4FFA8126.jpeg

B712FC6F-521D-4D86-9881-84DB7F698D51.jpeg

EFCA65AA-708D-4C42-BA4A-6B407CA921AF.jpeg

AA5825AF-918E-452E-9812-D10413EBDC44.jpeg

878A03F3-FC61-4911-B47E-51B32799DAE3.jpeg

7 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Looks like a 9.6 to me.

Can I ask why? Like, what specifically stops it from being a 9.8?

I can see only a few possible problems:

First, in photo #5, there appear to be some areas right along the spine fold where there's some white showing (i.e. color break). In particular there is a spot at the left edge of the photo that exhibits this. I think you can also see it a little in photo #7. I've seen this a lot, particularly with comics that have thick glossy covers. (And it drives me crazy sometimes trying to decide if what I'm seeing is really a color break or if I'm being fooled by the artwork.)

I've always wondered a) what causes it and b) how much of an impact it has on the grade?

I have a couple of theories as to the cause. One is that it's due to the stress on the paper from the machine that folds the comics. The other is that the spine tends to rub against the side of the cardboard box that the books are shipped in. Those are just guesses though. All I know for sure is it's annoying to see it on a book that hasn't even been opened yet.

Second in photo #2, right near the bottom of the staple, there's something that looks like a small indentation in the spine. I don't know if that counts as a tick though (it seems to be caused by pressure from the staple itself).

Third, in photo #3, there may be the tiniest hint of blunting on the corner.

Other than that, I don't see anything wrong with it. I'm dying to know if I missed something. :)

-Bill

On 9/4/2019 at 7:53 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Looks like a 9.6 to me.

On 9/4/2019 at 3:41 PM, Bill67 said:

Can I ask why? Like, what specifically stops it from being a 9.8?

I can see only a few possible problems:

First, in photo #5, there appear to be some areas right along the spine fold where there's some white showing (i.e. color break). In particular there is a spot at the left edge of the photo that exhibits this. I think you can also see it a little in photo #7. I've seen this a lot, particularly with comics that have thick glossy covers. (And it drives me crazy sometimes trying to decide if what I'm seeing is really a color break or if I'm being fooled by the artwork.)

I've always wondered a) what causes it and b) how much of an impact it has on the grade?

I have a couple of theories as to the cause. One is that it's due to the stress on the paper from the machine that folds the comics. The other is that the spine tends to rub against the side of the cardboard box that the books are shipped in. Those are just guesses though. All I know for sure is it's annoying to see it on a book that hasn't even been opened yet.

Second in photo #2, right near the bottom of the staple, there's something that looks like a small indentation in the spine. I don't know if that counts as a tick though (it seems to be caused by pressure from the staple itself).

Third, in photo #3, there may be the tiniest hint of blunting on the corner.

Other than that, I don't see anything wrong with it. I'm dying to know if I missed something. :)

-Bill

Wow thanks for all the feedback guys. I see what you’re saying about the spine. I have a few copies of this issue I can upload pictures of another one that I think look good too. I was on the fence at 9.4-9.6 as I’m not sure how much leeway they give you point wise on the spine and breaking color. 

I'd also like to know how much leeway is given to vertical spine colour breaks too. I want to get some of my HOX, POX and Absolute Carnage books graded but the color breaks seem to be getting worse with hardly books from these that don't have some kind of break in them. Would this be considered a manufacturing defect if most of the run had them and thus likely to get a more lenient grade?

Edited by Jitstark