• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Earliest CGC Signature Series - Stan Lee (when was it?)

19 posts in this topic

Anybody got the earliest CGC Signature Series Stan Lee?  We know there are (tens of) thousands in the past 10 years, but I'm wondering if there are any from the early days of CGC Signatures Series?

The earliest that I can go for Stan Lee is 2006.  CGC Signature Series started in 2001, but I don't know if any of them were Stan Lee.  Anyone got Stan Lee SS from 2001 or 2002? hm 

Edited by valiantman

6 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Anybody got the earliest CGC Signature Series Stan Lee?  We know there are (tens of) thousands in the past 10 years, but I'm wondering if there are any from the early days of CGC Signatures Series?

The earliest that I can go for Stan Lee is 2006.  CGC Signature Series started in 2001, but I don't know if any of them were Stan Lee.  Anyone got Stan Lee SS from 2001 or 2002? hm 

SS didn’t exist when I signed up here in 2003

2 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:
9 minutes ago, valiantman said:

SS didn’t exist when I signed up here in 2003

Well, umm... :grin:

0029423054_1200.jpg

4 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:
8 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Well, umm... :grin:

0029423054_1200.jpg

I stand corrected :tonofbricks:

No worries.  According to CGC, that Tomb Raider #1 is the oldest CGC Signature Series.  https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/42/

They planned for 100, but it looks like only 70 got done back in 2001 (two of those 70 might be prototypes from earlier than August 5, 2001).

3 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

The earliest Stan Lee of which I am aware was signed 8/6/04. It's a Spidey #14

https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/verify-cgc-comic.aspx?cgc-comic-cert=0609056001&grader-notes=yes

Stan signed a minimum of a quarter million books.

And that quarter million that he signed are far outweighed and overshadowed by the quarter billion forgeries bought and yet to be bought in the marketplace. Unless you're keenly aware of Stan Lee signature styles running the gamut of his signing years, start to end, or buy a piece with an unshakeable provenance, CGC signature series Lees are the major reliably foolproof means to add an authentic Lee to a collection. They're all witnessed, removing any shred of doubt or opinion concerning authenticity.

15 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

The earliest Stan Lee of which I am aware was signed 8/6/04. It's a Spidey #14

https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/verify-cgc-comic.aspx?cgc-comic-cert=0609056001&grader-notes=yes

Stan signed a minimum of a quarter million books.

I'm pretty sure that one was mine. However, my records show there were 2 other signings before 8/6/04. I will have to check to see if I still have scans for them. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Spider-Woman said:

Would this be the sort of thing CGC kept track of? Do they have a database?

Other than the census or graded copies, signature series info hasn't been released to us as far as dates and names..... only how many have been signed and not by whom....

Would be hard to believe that cgc doesn't have this info, but isn't available at the moment...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

22 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That's a classy signature :)

That JIM 121 is actually from Stan's personal collection.  All the books which he signed that day and which were sold via Heritage were from his collection.  CGC has amended labels in the past when it's clear they were from Stan's stash, and that one is, so it might be worth giving them a call or email

Edited by bluechip

On 9/7/2019 at 7:49 PM, bluechip said:

That JIM 121 is actually from Stan's personal collection.  All the books which he signed that day and which were sold via Heritage were from his collection.  CGC has amended labels in the past when it's clear they were from Stan's stash, and that one is, so it might be worth giving them a call or email

If you have a Heritage account, have a look here at past sales. This should help.

https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=790+231+52&Nty=1&Ntt=stan+lee+file&Ntk=SI_Titles&No=288&erpp=204