• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No one mentioned the huge Jim Davis Garfield strip auction at Heritage?
2 2

130 posts in this topic

More background on the Garfield strip sale. FYI:

“‘The last strip I did on paper was in 2011,’ Davis, 73, said in a phone interview last week.” Also, too: A945EFF5-F3C7-4B54-B6CB-BD5F5E882471.thumb.jpeg.cb59247af277a3482effd24642edb2fd.jpeg

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/08/arts/garfield-art-auction.html

So, pure Jim Davis = 1st year of the strip! 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

11 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

I want one example at least, but it is all about the nostalgia for me. I grew up on those trade paperback collections. They got me through many a sick day.

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

The earlier the less ghosted I believe .  I grew up with them; I’ll certainly buy one one day

I have fond nostalgic memories of Garfield as well.  Plus, my wife is a fan. Davis has obviously been selling tons of strips through Heritage even before this announcement; I've somehow not managed to win one yet, as there's always a bunch of them in every auction and I've never felt the need to chase any particular example.  I'm sure that I will pick up a nice example from the early-to-mid '80s at some point. 

11 minutes ago, glendgold said:

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

If only the strip had been called "Arbuckle" and he ran a year of these depressing strips and then quit.  The art would be priceless. 

19 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I have fond nostalgic memories of Garfield as well.  Plus, my wife is a fan. Davis has obviously been selling tons of strips through Heritage even before this announcement; I've somehow not managed to win one yet, as there's always a bunch of them in every auction and I've never felt the need to chase any particular example.  I'm sure that I will pick up a nice example from the early-to-mid '80s at some point. 

ditto.   There's been tons already.   Surprisingly the price has been going up not down per my last review but all this supply should change that 

Lots of good info in this thread.  I didn’t know he had someone else doing the artwork for him.  10,000 pieces is a huge number to come to market at one time.  A picky collector can wait for quite a while for the right strip to come up.  I was never a huge fan of the strip although unlike Tim, if you gave me one I would take it.

3 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

10,000 pieces is a huge number to come to market at one time.  A picky collector can wait for quite a while for the right strip to come up.

Also means there will never, ever be a flip on any of it on secondary unless they start bulking them up in lots of 20 or 50 at HA, and those start going really cheap.

5 hours ago, batman_fan said:
11 hours ago, tth2 said:

Okay, so I was engaging in rhetorical hyperbole.  If someone gave me one, I would take it too.

In order to immediately sell it! 

But promptly sell? I probably would. 

And @tth2 would also take that $1,000 !!

Garfield annoyed me.

Edited by Will_K